+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Elise/Exige Super/Turbo Charged vs sorted Miata NA Turbo (like Bob Bundy)- help pick

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

I have a hard time. Believing you had 85*F AITs during a hot lap at WOT...

Liked
    693 times

^^^ This is not unheard of, there are some similar cases like this described on Aquamist forums. I can show you the datalogs if I can find them. Relatively large IC, huge turbo running only 10 psi, long straight, water/meth injected pre-turbo are all factors that help with charge air cooling.

Liked
    0 times

ZJChaser
    Silversprint
    Nuburgring
    Thank you very much.

I don't need this Lotus, I have Miata that is sorted (w/turbo) and other cars that are perfectly good track-day cars. (no time to race or I'd be in Spec Miata/Super Miata).

Based on your feedback and everything else I've learned it boils down to the fact that OEM Exige S with supercharger from 2007 and up with some mminor tuning will develop 280bhp (maybe 240whp?), right in line with MIata 1.8 with FM turbo or Trackspeed Engineering turbo.

Exige will be beautiful (although I prefer looks of S1) and its chassis and steering are telepathic, beyond Miata with cage/stiffened chassis.
    However, Exige/Elise is super fragile- hit a cone at speed- front clam damaged, $5K.
    Have an off, bend an arm which bends pick up point on frame- its potential write off.
    Therefore used as Backroad car its probably Ok as insurance will cover no questions.

However for track Miata is far far more reasonable answer.

The cost of Exige S sorted (we never leave anything alone) begs opens up many many other options.
    So for sure I gave up on this Elise Turbo, but thanks to you I've learned a lot about the cars.

If the right deal comes along, and I know somebody who purchased an Exige S for $29K in totally fine normal standard condition you'd expect - I'd be over it to try it as an experience.
    But while they are $40K plus, am not going there.

Since am not strictly looking for track-car, but use the track-ability as gauge of chassis ability, - the S2K has always been considered, and I've driven them stock and sorted.
    As street car S2k is not for me: way way too little too late(Miata turbo has so much more usable torque curve). Although again, if the right deal comes along, I would love to try one and enjoy as short term fling. I do appreciate what they have done and would love one set by Emilio for best handling/grip.

My view of NA/NB Motor Swap:
    (My baseline is home-built 1.8 $3K, new/used turbo parts $4K with GT3071R, 6 speed swap $600=$10K all in with cooling, and 350whp like BBundy)

LSx is way way too expensive (I've done the math time after time and again). Its a $20K minimum project plus car.
    I've shopped virtually committed for Mike Fertig's uber Lsx Miata, and few others: they all left me wanting, a lot.

The K24 swap is cool but frankly too expensive, its a $10K project, to get 260whp, to get 280whp its more. Same power as stock Miata 1.8 w/turbo.

V6 LSF is nearly LSX money, so again its pricey, perhaps $15K all in.

V8R has made an MZR swap into their 'junk-spec-Miata" chassis, was not too hard at all. Nobody doing smog check will recognize frankly MZR/Duratec 2.5 from K24 to stock NA/NB Motor. So its all quiet smoggable especially OBD1 pre 1995 chassis.
    The stock 2.5 (best) will do 180-200whp with modest investment. That is still way shy of simply doing a Turbo or Rotrex on stock NA/NB motor.

Overall I concluded that keeping Miata a Miata is best.
    OEM motor has no oil surge issues. Its bolted into the car. There is plenty of affordable building parts- such as Supertech, Manley and more.
    And Bob Bundy ran a long time on stock junkyard 1.8 with 3071 turbo at ~300whp winning, and you can buy another when it goes, cheap.
    TC Design, Tony ran junkyard 220whp 1.8 with Rotrex to 1.55 at Thill.
    So I think keeping Miata a Miata is best.
    If you ask me, I'd follow Emilio's recipe - get superMiata to build skill, than modify it with Rotrex along Tony's car and have fun on pretty cheap.

Miata is truly amazing answer, always.

Although I find temptations often, such as $12K Z06 track-prepared, its hard to argue with overall appeal of Miata with cage and suspension.
    I can afford to toss it, and get another. Not so with Z06.

Thanks to several vendors we are here today, speaking of Lotus Elise, and ending on Miata!
    It started with Corky Bell, and soon Dealer Alternative - now FM. Than Emilio came along and what was Spec Miata - made into so much more bridging the power limited/grip limited Spec Series with weird suspension into Engineer's Delight and created key products to enable many to duplicate:
    Xida suspension
    15x9
    15x10
    15x11
    Recipes for NA engine 140, 160, 170, 200whp.
    Rotrex influence too
    Aero and cooling, reliability, discussions.
    And others to be recognized such as TSE (Andrew Kidd) for truly awesome radiator, great 11.75" brakes, Inconel Studs- proving turbo can be reliable
    V8R and Bauer both have positive influence.

Now Miata is a cult, still with few spending big $$, but who would have thought, that even ND Miata will not upstage the NA/NB- when cost is taken into consideration.

Liked
    764 times

^^I didn't know about the V8 Roadster MZR in an NA. They say it weighs 1960 with a "beastly" cage. Thanks for the info.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    0 times

Red_5,
    That V8R MZR NA former Spec Miata is light, but its gutted big time and no hard top and, etc.
    Its beefy but not "super beefy" cage.
    So the weight is along the PTE Miata really, nothing exceptional for NA Miata.

I vote for Miata being kept Miata as best solution.

Liked
    887 times

[QUOTE Overall I concluded that keeping Miata a Miata is best. . . .Miata is truly amazing answer, always. . . [/QUOTE]

Dude, you're preaching to the choir!

brighton-gay-men-s-chorus.jpg
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 11-09-2015 at 10:44 PM.
    tq3z and SDSUsnowboards like this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

The more I think about it, the more I realize I will never have an Elise.

Yes, they are pretty cool, and absolutely exotic; but, they are like high-end prostitutes. The pleasure to cost ratio is a little underwhelming.

I think for that kind of money I might undertake a Factory Five GTM build. I assume the steel frame could be repaired if things went awry. It has, hands down, the best price to performance ratio. It looks pretty good too. I'd rock it on the street with pride. Allegedly, they take forever to assemble. That's a problem, unless one has a garage.

2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1 times

I own an Elise and a Miata. Miata is the track car. There is simply nothing like the "Elige" to drive. I wouldn't mind being able to afford beating a lotus up at the track, but I can't. And it **will get beat up**. The miata, on the other hand, is affordable to repair. I don't worry about it, drive harder, and have a lot more fun. And I can sometimes keep up with vettes exige etc. Which is all the more satisfying because I'm doing it in a miata!
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MazdaElan; 11-23-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    0 times

MazdaElan

I am totally with you.
    Given up on this "expensive prostitute" idea.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4