+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Educate me about track BMW, why are they so popular ?

Liked
    97 times

Bawareca (or anyone else), do you know a Dale Schaub by any chance? He owns a BMW shop in Yorba Linda, and I remember he had a yellow E36 race that looked pretty seriously built. I forgot his lap times, but I'd be really curious how fast M3s can typically be made.

Just like with Miatas, BMW's have lots of dedicated shops that track/race and the knowledge is out there so anything you want to do is as easy if not easier to find out than Miata. More expensive though.

I think also a small factor that goes into BMWs popularity for tracking/racing is the safety factor (real or perceived). Maybe not the case for the old E30s, but for sure anything E36,E46,E60,E90 etc. You don't need a rollbar or anything to go to the track, and BMWs tend to be safe such as the image people get from the M5 ring taxi that's run stock etc. I think it makes the initial idea to go to the track easier and quicker to sell to the girlfriend/wife
    Last edited by pucsicsal; 07-18-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Ask Emilio. I just know it's an internal engine problem that was fixed for the 2003 model year AP1, and was never an issue with the AP2.
    Well when the hell was it ever an issue with the Ap1? I've been around the S2000 scene for god knows how long and I don't think I've ever heard of a single failure due to this fact?
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Well when the hell was it ever an issue with the Ap1? I've been around the S2000 scene for god knows how long and I don't think I've ever heard of a single failure due to this fact?
    I just follow the herd. Emilio is my master (j/k -- we see eye to eye about very little, but I do respect his opinion about such matters as this. He told me about the banjo bolt problem with 2000 - 2002 S2000s and I believe every word he says (no I don't). Gimme a break cuz I don't know anymore than that.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    434 times

Yes, this is an issue on early AP1's. Another issue with them are cracked valve retainers. Honda replaced them with larger stronger retainers in the AP2's.
    Last edited by jimt; 07-18-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    434 times

Here's a link to some info on the banjo issue:

AP1 Oil Banjo Bolts aka Oil Sprayers - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    Here's a link to some info on the banjo issue:

AP1 Oil Banjo Bolts aka Oil Sprayers - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Seems its only a problem for boost? And I am aware of the retainer problem, which is why money shifts blow motors on AP1 cars. That's a 100$ fix though. FWIW.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    641 times

Now,that was a thread jack Thank got we have no fashion banjo bolts in the e30
    On a serious note,here is a video of me at the BW,the car is no more than 220 WHP,short shifting at 6200 RPM.Later I found that the timing is set wrong with no advance whatsoever.S52 swapped E30 should be close or faster than that.Heavily caged,front and rear suspension tied in the cage.Not corrected rear suspension=a lot of camber and probably close to 1/2" toe in at full compression.E36 M3 front suspension,less than 2.5 negative camber,no bump steer or roll center correction kit.Close to 1/2" toe out.GC coilovers with Koni single adjustables($2k new,$1 k used) 255/40/17 R comps(R888 rear,NT01 rear).That description shows that the car is very far from any optimal setup,but is still relatively fast.It sure has sub 2:00 even with me in it and with that setup.My best was 2:03.5,it was getting hot in the early afternoon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6