+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Driving at COTA in 2013

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

Default Driving at COTA in 2013

I wanted to start a thread about this great new track. Some of us from Cali are seriously considering towing out to one event if NASA runs there in 2013. I heard someone mention the idea of running NASA nationals there in 2014. Might be epic.
    • Were you there this weekend for F1?
    • Have you driven or been on the racing surface?
    • Do you know of any club level events of DE's scheduled there in 2013?
    • Inside info on parking, access, hotels, restaurants, best local beer, etc?
    • When Texas secedes will it be renamed to "The Best little racin' track in Texas" ?

1210-sbkp-01-o-circuit-americas-logo-.jpgvisit_track_diagram.png
    1000_50a96b38bcc51_q0c8304.jpg
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    16 times

There will be a SCCA club race there see:

SCCA at Circuit of the Americas! Feb 22-24, 2013 - ApexSpeed

Steve

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

I posted this yesterday. Been thinking about it since they posted the SM thread but its honestly depressing because im sure it will be an expensive trip, especially since its a double national, which means there is no way i will make it.

Circuit of the Americas ???
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    103 times

i was there this past weekend, amazing facility, i cant wait to figure out a way to get on the track

Liked
    2 times

I was there all 3 days :
    - Get a General Admission ticket , the grassed hillside viewing areas @ T1 , T11 , T19 and maybe others are wonderful ( T1 is my favorite , but don't tell anybody because it was full @ 9 AM yesterday
    - Parking was good if you're driving in. Lots m & l are very close to T11 hillside viewing area
    - Traffic was not the nightmare some warned us about. We were in lot L and we were traveling south on hwy 71 going a steady 70 MPH just 45 minutes after we got in the car.
    - Lodging is just plain shocking $$$ ... I've got no advise , but I'll be starting the search for something new ( this yr it was a rented house ) ... I think I'm going to try for a B&B south of Austin that way the guys can be hardcore and be at the track 10 hrs a day and our spouses can hang out and then show up for the main event
    - Beer ? Try the local Pecan Porter
    - Food ? Got to try the local BBQ , we had The Salt Lick cater the event I attended Sat night and it was outstanding , but there are tons of great options

Events in 2013 :
    - SCCA has the only confirmed dates that I'm aware of
    - I hear that PCA is working on it , but it will sell out in about 10 minutes
    - I hear that CVAR is working on it , but miatas are no quite yet vintage eligible
    - The Driver's Edge is working on it , nothing to announce ... Unless NASA gets a date , TDE may be your best option

Liked
    1486 times

My plan is to race there in 2013 when SCCA is there. It would be great to get a contingent of TrackHQ'ers to go.

Liked
    2391 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    My plan is to race there in 2013 when SCCA is there. It would be great to get a contingent of TrackHQ'ers to go.
    +1

We've set all the track records in California so we'll go to Texas, drink some beer and set some more track records.
    I'd rather do a NASA event but there isn't one, I could be talked in to the trip for maybe ITE.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    439 times

I was there all 3 days with a group of 4 people. We bought 2 general admission tickets and 2 reserved seats at T12. Since the seats at T12 are bleachers, I preferred sitting on a blanket in the grass at T19. How they can go 170 mph around T18 I will never understand!

If you go for reserved seating, go for sections that have actual seats not bleachers. We are going back in May for Austrailian V8 Supercars and have tickets in T15, which is all seats, not bleachers. Tickets for this race were only $110

As far as food and lodging, my brother lives in Volente, which is 50 minutes away at 80 mph on the toll road and he is an incredible chef! :-)

Liked
    543 times

Emilio - great job with the thread tags
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    742 times

hmmm...Austin is practically equidistant from OC and Raleigh.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    +1

We've set all the track records in California so we'll go to Texas, drink some beer and set some more track records.
    I'd rather do a NASA event but there isn't one, I could be talked in to the trip for maybe ITE.
    Nobody runs ITE down here and it's a BFG SuperTour Major so no regional classes. Throw some 7" wheels on Crusher and run STL

Liked
    977 times

+1

Does SCCA run ITE at National events? If so, I'm in.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Does SCCA run ITE at National events? If so, I'm in.
    Nope!
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    76 times

In for a group buy...LOL

Liked
    2391 times

Quote Originally Posted by tstiles View Post
    Nobody runs ITE down here and it's a BFG SuperTour Major so no regional classes. Throw some 7" wheels on Crusher and run STL
    Crusher will have a turbo and be built to ST2. Way too much stuff to undo for STL. I find SCCA STL rules arbitrary and annoying anyhow. Stock manifold, giant cams, restricted compression, tiny wheels, restricted aero and stupid heavy for a 190whp car on 7" wheels. I can build a nationally competitive STL car but have no real interest in doing so.

On the plus side, if I did throw an STL car together and do well there, I could cover some costs with Mazda money. It's that damn Road America sized straight that scares me in an N/A Miata against bigger cars. I need moveable aero..
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2165 times

Crusher will have a turbo and be built to ST2. Way too much stuff to undo for STL. I find SCCA STL rules arbitrary and annoying anyhow. Stock manifold, giant cams, restricted compression, tiny wheels, restricted aero and stupid heavy for a 190whp car on 7" wheels. I can build a nationally competitive STL car but have no real interest in doing so.

On the plus side, if I did throw an STL car together and do well there, I could cover some costs with Mazda money. It's that damn Road America sized straight that scares me in an N/A Miata against bigger cars. I need moveable aero..

You could run STO if that is still a class....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    I How they can go 170 mph around T18 I will never understand!

! :-)
    Heavy banking?

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    You could run STO if that is still a class....
    As far as I can tell, STO is gone and is now T1. Maybe GT2 or 3?

Liked
    2 times

Unless the big boys from out of division show up , you'll do fine in STL running a little under the top SM times ( Trust me , I won the division in 2012 ) ... Sold the car due to health issues , so I'm going to build a dual purpose NC

Long straight ... Wish I had know about that before I sold my 4.1 Torsen ... My old car ( with a 4:77 ) would run out of gear about 1/2 way down that monster

STL Rules ... No kidding , I had something like 175# bolted to the passenger floorboard

If Crusher is going to have a turbo , see if he fits into STU ... You might surprise old JMac

Liked
    1 times

I was there for all 3 days in turn 12. You could see turns 12, 13, and 14. I would have liked to sit in turn 18, but those were crazy money. The track is very close to downtown which is a lot of fun at night, not so much fun in the day. The taxi drivers told me that most of the hotels raised their prices by 5-10 time what they normally charge in the off season.

I went to Twin Peaks (http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com) for dinner Saturday night and it was not worth it for the food...eye candy was good though. The Ferrari Of Ontario (Canada) was there as well and they were having a good time. Sunday night I went to Salt Lick (The Salt Lick) and that was amazing food (maybe because I was starving), but you had to BYOB and you can bring it in an ice chest.

This year I stayed in the city of Buda which is about 20 miles south of Austin and it was about a $50 taxi ride each way to downtown and to the track (except on Sunday which they charged a minimum of $75). The city offered a shuttle to and from the track Saturday and Sunday for $25 a person per day.

I would love to do a track day here, but I don't think it will be in my budget for a while

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast