+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimt

Thread: Does AIM Suck?

Liked
    1486 times

Default Does AIM Suck?

Does AIM suck or is it just me. Maybe I expect too much? Maybe Josh will read this and encourage AIM to step into this century? OK here is my rant. AIM soloDL and Smartycam with CAN interface can't read OBD2 on most cars! What is the point? I understand that OBD2 did not get really uniform until the 2008 protocal but really my cheap chinese harbor freight $39 OBD2 reader can read any OBD2 car. My cheap $100 Kiwi PLX OBD2 reader can ready codes and reatime data like RPM, speed, STFT etc. and upload the data to my cell phone! Why is it so hard for AIM to read this simple data? Is there a cheap way to communicate simple OBD2 data to the AIM devices without spending a fortune to wire in a MXLPista whatever they have? Is AIM's goal to not sell us convenience cheap but sell us more expensive AIM products? We need to crack the AIM code if they won't do it for us.

Liked
    977 times

I gave up on my MXL Pista after having to spend $250-500 for every single basic addon that was needed.

No GPS in a $2000 device? No thanks.

Liked
    434 times

Check out Race Keeper race-keeper.com

They have it figured out.

PM or email me, I have a coupon code for a free camera with a purchase of a system.
    redtopz likes this.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    1477 times

I was very unhappy with my AiM Solo DL that I bought in the trackHQ group buy. It malfunctioned big-time and I had to return it to AiM twice before they replaced it with a new one which I sold at a loss just to get most of my money back.

Carl -

AiM is designed and manufactured in Italy. Given your opinions of the mechanical quality of Ferrari automobiles, you should probably not be that impressed with AiM.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 11-02-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    72 times

My AIM Solo has malfunctioned the last two track days. At the last day, it wouldn't even time a complete lap, it just kept rolling for the entire session. I've only had it for 7 track days over 7 months. Disappointing, but I'll send it back for repairs

Liked
    28 times

AiM reads the high speed OBD2 CAN bus. You can read the slower OBD2 data if you... don't care about the data. You can't get the data quickly enough out of the regular OBD2 port to match it up with the rest of the data without significant interpolation and then it's not really your data, it's some programs guess at what would have been there based on the surrounding data. I had an MXL Pista hooked up to the CAN bus in my '06 C6 and it worked great -- even read a whole bunch of the GM data stream. I have an MXL Pista talking to an AEM EMS in my RX7... works great. I had a SoloDL briefly and it worked great in the Miata and when I loaned it to a friend for use in his C6Z (he didn't hook up the CAN bus, though). I upgraded to the MXL Pista in the Miata as we built it up this year... it's supposed to be able to talk to my Megasquirt, but it doesn't seem to be able to -- they're both going to AiM at the end of the season for them to figure out what's up.

I'll put up with a few of the things on my wishlist with AiM because the software actually does what I want. I fought with all the different vendors software until I tried RaceStudio2 and it just made sense to me... and the software is what really matters because that's where I'll actually look at the data.

And for folks that think AiM stuff is expensive, go check out MoTeC where you pay 1.5-3x as much for fewer features...

Liked
    545 times

I've been happy with my MXL Pista but I've had it now for 5 years. At that time there definitely wasn't anything cheaper to compare it to, IMO. I used it for 3 years without GPS and still got lots of useful data.

In the end, though, you want to use whatever your friends in class are using that will share data with you. Being able to see what much faster people were doing was massively advantageous (and still is).

Steve

Liked
    2 times

They all, data loggers, have issues even MoTeC. I have had a Solo since their release and had no issues with it in road course usage. I also have a MXL Pista with SmartyCam in my race car. Essentially you pick the software you prefer and then deal with the hardware. I like the AIM software, find it easy to work with and get to the information that I need regardless of driver development or keeping track of mechanical bits.

+ Reply to Thread