+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: different of stages of a track junkie, what stage are you at ?

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I agree with this completely and believe you did not mean it as a joke. Except that it's not just tires I'd be saving money for, its trackside support, race car maintenance, professional coaching, semi-exclusive trackdays for practice, race event fees, hotels and meals. $50,000 pays for a lot of that.
    It's easy for those people who live in the sticks, far away from civilized life or desirable housing to poke fun at us.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    It's easy for those people who live in the sticks, far away from civilized life or desirable housing to poke fun at us.
    so Stage 5 should be

"willing to relocated to suit racing hobby, moving from coastal area to 909 area code for race friendly housing"
    "when shopping for new home, priority is number of garage spaces and trailer parking"
    "buying a diesel truck with HD trailer package"
    hakeem likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I have been to Oli's house. It is not in the "sticks." It is a large house on a huge plot of land in a nice part of Orange County, with, among other things, horse stables. So you need to find another reason for his misguided views on this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    so Stage 5 should be

"willing to relocated to suit racing hobby, moving from coastal area to 909 area code for race friendly housing"
    "when shopping for new home, priority is number of garage spaces and trailer parking"
    "buying a diesel truck with HD trailer package"
    Stage 5 checking in. Only reason why I bought a house is for the 3 car garage with swamp cooler.

Liked
    704 times

You're trying to bump me into 5. We're looking for a house and while it must have a bigger garage than I have now, we're really moving for the school district. It's a win-win.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2242 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Stage 5 checking in. Only reason why I bought a house is for the 3 car garage with swamp cooler.
    Yes, but is it in the 909?

Liked
    1477 times

so Stage 5 should be

If you moved to Frazier Mtn. Park, where houses are cheap, you'd be about mid-way between Willow Springs and Buttonwillow, less than an hour's drive from either track. Could probably get a house with a 5-car garage there for a song.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    You're trying to bump me into 5. We're looking for a house and while it must have a bigger garage than I have now, we're really moving for the school district. It's a win-win.
    yeap, I told my wife it is because of school district also
    psychoazn likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    977 times

I have been to Oli's house. It is not in the "sticks." It is a large house on a huge plot of land in a nice part of Orange County, with, among other things, horse stables. So you need to find another reason for his misguided views on this.
    I count OC as the sticks, but each to their own.

FWIW, we are also looking to buy a bigger house with big garage. I may be deeply into stage 5 before I know it.

Liked
    2165 times

Yeah! Like I am just plain misguided. It has nothing to do with where I live!!!

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    4 times

wow im such a girl at 1a.... oh well, it leaves room to grow.

Liked
    1477 times

I used have this quote in my signature here: "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." Peter Egan

Liked
    2242 times

If you moved to Frazier Mtn. Park, where houses are cheap, you'd be about mid-way between Willow Springs and Buttonwillow, less than an hour's drive from either track. Could probably get a house with a 5-car garage there for a song.
    And every track is a downhill drive from home.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    And every track is a downhill drive from home.
    Well, the first part of the drive to Willow Springs is uphill, but it's worth it.

Liked
    19 times

Stage 1C [Student Edition]:

Dream:
    Would love a stable with at least a race car, weekend car and dedicated commuter. Full garage, a nice F350 for towing...etc.

Reality:
    Full time engineering student, dedicated track/hillclimb/autocross car is also summer job commuter and daily. His own mechanic/crew/maintenance/fabricator. Takes transit 8 months out of the year to afford hobby and insures on one day permits to drive. Breaks the "don't race what you cant afford to throw off a cliff" rule. In fact, attends high speed (#omgIMgoingTOdie hillclimbs) 3+ hours away and hopes to make it back in one piece, because could not afford the tow/flatbed home. Car was a nice, comfortable, new street car, now carries only uncomfortable, basic safety equipments to make it legal for as much seat time as possible while making it uncompetitive for anything. One parking space, can't work on it on the street so abuses friends and their garages. Posts his pathetic and endearing story so someone wealthy can recognize his infinite talent/potential, young disrespect for danger and fund his racing career. Im looking at you Sir! *Stares at Ken Block*.

Side Note:
    All joking aside, I have the worst negative association with anything in the form of "Stage #". The local subaru track guys have completely ruined it for me. I organize the run groups for our club track days. And when I look over the online forms, and under experience all I see is "lots" and "stage 3", it just drives me up the f**king wall. These guys usually have enough hp (400+) and enough tire to do nothing but be annoying roadblocks. I have seen everything from driving in the middle of the track to blasting music. I mean seriously, how can you take anyone seriously when they say they modify their car to stage three. Is this gran turismo?!

/endrant.

Liked
    111 times

Stage 3:

you've decided to club race
    you own an enclosed (you can clear see this is a Porsche thing) trailer, which you could live in if need be.
    you have car parts delivered to your office
    you have 3 sets of wheels and tire
    your race car cost more than your street car
    race dates are the priority in your calendar, everything else is flexible
    you view your job primarily as a sway to support your racing habit
    you show in-car racing video to friends when they come over, which you find engrossing and they ind interminable.
    you will spend $3,000 to take a second off your lap time.
    ^This is me.

you view your job primarily as a sway to support your racing habit

In my case, two jobs. >.<
    Driving to the limit is my goal.
    Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
    2013 NASA TTD National Champion
    NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
    Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2