+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Delta Wing Driven by Chris Harris, Great look into the car

Liked
    29 times

Default Delta Wing Driven by Chris Harris, Great look into the car

Here's Chis Harris's drive of the Delta Wing and an interesting explanation by the designer into how it works.

917 LB car and very cool.

Liked
    11 times

I was so looking forward to this, when they announced it on Drive.
    Why did this episode feel so short and rushed? I was left wanting more as it ended.
    I do love the mention of mountain bike suspension in the front!

Liked
    51 times

Definetely would like to hear/see more but still very cool! The engineering application is amazing.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I was disappointed in the engineers explanation. They didn't even mention the diff. I always assumed it was the diff that makes it possible for it to turn. Like riding a wheelchair. The little front wheels keep it flat and if you want to turn left you make the big right wheel turn faster than the inside wheel.

Liked
    1429 times

Are you sure the diff does anything? I think of the car as an apple on a stick. Rotating the apple using the end of the stick is easy.

My favorite part is how the braking works so it doesn't freak out when you lock a rear. Didn't see that coming.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I'm not sure of anything. It was just my assumption. I see what your saying but an apple on a stick with forward momentum seems like it would still under steer. But maybe it is exactly like that and it's just a balance of forces game.

Liked
    546 times

I too thought I'd read that the diff was used for steering.

Steve

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    I'm not sure of anything. It was just my assumption. I see what your saying but an apple on a stick with forward momentum seems like it would still under steer. But maybe it is exactly like that and it's just a balance of forces game.
    An apple on a stick going fast will still quite happily rotate if you push on the stick. Lateral resistance from the tires does the rest, the rears have the biggest task since they carry most of the mass.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

This is all theoretical, but the apple on the stick rotates because the apple is basically a ball that can roll in any direction. Replace the apple with two big wheels that only roll in one direction and the only way I see this thing turning is if the wheels are moving at different speeds. But again I fully accept that the engineering behind this is way over my head and I could be 100% wrong.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    the only way I see this thing turning is if the wheels are moving at different speeds.
    That's true with conventional cars too. I think we're talking past each other. Yes the car needs a diff so the rear wheels can traverse a corner. Does it need a crazy fancy diff that has smarts that turn the car tank style? I say no.

Liked
    47 times

Its no problem at all. You guys need to brush up on how to calculate yaw moments.
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Liked
    94 times

Very interesting. I like the 3 lug nuts on the front wheels and wonder why they didn't seat the driver in the middle of the car.
    Last edited by Eric Richter; 11-04-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Liked
    47 times

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Richter View Post
    Very interesting. I like the 3 lug nuts on the front wheels and wonder why they didn't seat the driver in the middle of the car.
    The rear weight distribution is the key to everything.
    Last edited by gixxer_drew; 11-04-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Liked
    38 times

After I finished watching that episode I came away wanting some more details...

Just seeing a new concept in racing car design is exciting but the car has not shown itself to be any faster or have an advantage over current conventional race cars.

Some details about the trans/diff from Delta Wing Racing:

"Transmission is a 5 speed plus reverse longitudinal design with electrical sequential paddle shift actuation. The differential features an efficient variable torque steer/differential speed-controlled planetary final drive reduction layout with the entire transmission weighing only 33kg."

So it does have a yaw assist in the differential.

After driving a rear engine Porsche on track so many years I can really picture how this car works or doesn't but uneven weight distribution does not equal great steady state cornering. The tires/weight might be matched up but the roll stiffness in the rear would have to make up for the lack of it in front. So both your front tires might stay planted but your inside rear will be unloaded to the same degree.

+ Reply to Thread