+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bellwilliam
  • 1 Post By dc2696

Thread: DD Dash Cams... any you recommend?

Liked
    223 times

Question DD Dash Cams... any you recommend?

Recommend any good dash cams in the $100 range? Particularly ultra compact cams good for stealthy installs?

I've had the Aukey DR-H1 for 3 months. Great form factor. However, I realized yesterday that mine is defective/broken (after trying to pull up footage of a red-light runner that very nearly plowed through a few dozen school kids at 50 mph).

The dash cam market is underserved, with almost universally cheap/shoddy product across the price range. It seems that most cams are variants from the same factories turning them out in China. Amazon reviews fall mostly in two categories: terrible or fake review. Even the Garmin cams receive poor reviews.

There are some higher priced models in the $200-400 range that receive better reviews (but not great). I haven't seen anything convincing to warrant that price, and reviews indicate they're no more/less reliable (ostensibly same factory as the cheap ones, no surprise there).

It can be done. I don't know what supplier AIM uses for their SmartyCams, but those have been the most bullet proof cameras I've ever used. Zero issues and I've had several of them. But that's overkill for DD and only my race cars get the premium $tuff.

Liked
    2528 times

I have this one in 3 of my cars. This is probably the most popular model out there. good Amazon review.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE

I have this one in my race car. to back up my GoPro, which works 1/2 of the time. sometime I forgot to delete files, turn it on, etc......on GoPro. But with dash cam (this model comes with a rear camera too).
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G82PN8W

with dash cam. life is so much easier on track. it starts to record automatically every time car fires up. re-writes the oldest file. just works.
    but newer GoPro do have this same function now.......
    bawareca likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    13 times

https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Mobiu...478837320&sr=1

This is what a lot of the local guys use on the track, not sure how it is in the dark but so far the reviews are good enough that I'm switching from running GoPro's (did I turn it on? oh no its just dead again) to these for next year.

-Dean
    ucfbrett likes this.
    FE3 NA - NB2 SM - 6262 AP1

Liked
    223 times

Thanks for the responses. Some neat ideas here for cheap insurance in race cars. I hear great things about the Replay line of cameras too, which also support loop mode (for racing, karting, etc.)

For the DD I nearly went with the Rexing that William suggested. But the form factor in my particular car makes a stealth install under the mirror challenging.

I decided to try out the smallish Thinkware F50 and see how that works. $118 @ Amazon complete with harness and gps. I tested Thinkware's support over email. They responded quickly and intelligibly. They're sold at retail stores (good sign). We'll see how it goes. I was also intrigued by the GoLuk line, but continued support was a concern, esp. software dependencies.

I won't hesitate to try Aukey again in the future. Excellent support. They immediately issued me a full refund, no questions asked. They're responsive and seem customer satisfaction focused.

It seems that many dash cams suffer the same fate, from all different providers. Must be supplier manufacturing issue. Within months they inexplicably stop working. I took my Aukey apart. Entirely solid state - no batteries or caps - and the components visually appeared okay. I suspect the chipset and possibly overheating in normal use.

Liked
    0 times

+ Reply to Thread