Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanB
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett

Thread: Data Acquisition Study

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Data Acquisition Study

Hi All,

I am conducting a little research for my class in Business School at USC. I am doing a feasibility study of creating a new kind of data acquisition system.

If you have 2 minutes to fill out this 10 question multiple choice survey, it would really help out a bunch.

Survey - Data Acquisition Study

Thank you,

Rahul

Liked
    223 times

Neat concept. Some friendly feedback from a product guy...

Is this product hypothetical for the purpose of a class project business plan? and/or will you develop a functional POC as part of the project? If so, approaches matter (and I absolutely encourage you to pursue this). If not, not important.

Survey - if accuracy matters in this exercise... There's only one app listed. Also, consider adding options for AIM Dashes (MXL/MXL2/MXS/MXG) and Motec. These dash systems cater to different user types and price points. Your user types should also ascertain driver experience in more dimensions and the data acquisition budget to understand the size of the commercial opportunity. The usage patterns also differ and therefore user types, e.g. track day vs. time attack vs. a racer. They do not wholly overlap.

Good luck with the project. Neat idea if someone can crack it with the challenges.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    0 times

Thank you for your feedback. I am actually looking into doing this. If nothing more than for the use of my race team for our data acquisition and maybe help slower drivers on the team get "up to speed" with the faster guys in the same car.

I know this was a very preliminary questionnaire. For the purposes of my class I wanted to keep it as close and concise as I could to increase the number of responders as I need it by tomorrow.
    I did offer an "other" for additional responses and I did see a good number so far fill in their own. I just grabbed the first few that I could think of.

I am currently trying to gather as much data as possible in order to sift through it and see what I can see through the data. We are very preliminary in getting going, so I didn't want to get too far into the details. (Also survey monkey cut me off at 10 questions )

I was planning on working on a more extensive polling and really plan on going to the race track and talking to folks about it once I've gotten my feet wet.

My target market I feel right now would me the track day people and less the racers. I am not trying to compete on the high end but I think there is a big gap between the lap timers and DAQs out there.
    I would like to develop a product that can give drivers data driven feedback on how to drive faster. Similar to what an instructor would do if they were in the car with you.
    We shall see if the data supports this possibility. Im invisioning like how driver assist does it for like Gran Tourismo (i.e. help with brake points, acceleration points, and the driving line)

Thanks again. If anyone else has feedback and wants to chime in, i'm all ears.

Anyway, I do really appreciate your input and value any more information you would like to share with me.

Liked
    0 times

And what did you mean by "crack it with the challenges"?

Liked
    223 times

That's excellent that the goal is a viable product. You're likely to find a good number of people here that can provide feedback.

Challenges - the survey references a device that learns how the car is handling and you mention something similar to a driver assist in GT. Assuming those are the objectives, is the plan to use accelerometers and GPS as the only data channels? Or will you use more sensors, perhaps vehicle specific canbus?

The former plotted in visualization software like Race Studio can be useful comparatively, revealing acceleration/deceleration differences with drivers that have the experience to understand it. However, small differences in driver inputs can be significant. Which is why additional data channels often come into play like rpm, brake pressure, throttle position, steering sensor, ride height, etc. And these are factored over time. Because what driver A does in the moments before a corner can mean a few extra mph over driver B even before turn in. And of course every car is slightly different, even the same car on a different day (tires, temps, track conditions, etc). It can be a complex analysis to understand driver and vehicle dynamics - which is why racers invest budget and time in these tools. With extreme budgets it can be the formula one pit wall.

Arguably this doesn't matter for track day instruction. There's only so many inputs a driver can attend to, and the cognitive load on a newish driver on a new track is going to be demanding to the point of mistakes. So good news that starting simple is beneficial, and maybe simple means that accelerometer and GPS are sufficient. Question is - what concise/limited instruction can be given to a driver in near cognitive overload - that helps and doesn't distract - and how should actionable information be delivered? 4" smart phone screen, tablet, auditory, some new heads up display? Most instructors prefer their students looking up and ahead, and try to minimize distractions. Students differ so good instructors adapt. With a novice the focus is safety, driving line, situational awareness, and technique before going faster. Maybe the right user for this product is someone who has on track experience and the cognitive cycles to absorb the insights this product offers. In other words, tighten up your user type so you can simplify and get to something viable.

Anyway, none of this is to be discouraging. Actually the opposite - to encourage setting realistic goals and developing a functional POC that can be refined/enhanced later. You've got to start somewhere. If you've worked all this out, build it! And even if you haven't I hope you try.

Full disclosure - I'm not a data expert.

Liked
    2363 times

What is POC?

Also, as a point to remember when developing the device is an axiom I rely on a lot: "The surest way to teach someone nothing is to try to teach him everything." It speaks to the cognitive overload Sean mentioned.

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    What is POC?
    proof of concept I think.

Liked
    2344 times

What is POC?

Porsche Owners Club. They just ran a proof of concept event out at Streets of Willow Springs.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    0 times

What is POC?

Also, as a point to remember when developing the device is an axiom I rely on a lot: "The surest way to teach someone nothing is to try to teach him everything." It speaks to the cognitive overload Sean mentioned.
    I definitely respect the idea of cognitive overload. That is actually where I am trying to focus my differentiation in that I want to take all that sensory data, and just dumb it down to something simple and useful to understand while minimizing distractions. It may be a pipe dream, but that's where I am hoping to get to. Right now I was just focusing on seeing if there was a market more than proving out my concept.

Liked
    2363 times

Let us know if we can be of further assistance. There's a great wealth of knowledge among the members of this forum.

+ Reply to Thread