Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    367 times

Well, that explains it. He's not driving a RWD Spoon car, he's sporting the Fast Wheel Drive younger brother, instead.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    557 times

Glad the driver's at least not critically injured.

And now I understand why they have the k-wall up for the NASCAR and Indycar events.

Steve

Liked
    977 times

Shattered vertebrae sounds pretty bad to me Glad he made it though.

Liked
    367 times

Where did it say he had shattered vertebrae? I must have missed something. It said the driver was fine, named Angelo?

=/ Hope he's recovering well, that sucks!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    977 times

Hello all,

I just wanted to update everyone on the drivers situation. Unfortunately the driver (Angelo Zucchi) did not escape completely unharmed, he suffered a shattered vertabrae in the crash and had to have surgery this moorning to repair the damage. However considering the violence of the wreck I think Angelo got away lucky, I walked around the area were his car landed today and the damage is unbelievable. I work with Angelo at the Audi Sportscar Experience and will post updates here when I get them. Please keep Angelo in your thoughts and join me in wishing him a quick recovery.

-Thanks for your concern,
    Nick
    http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?...5fac7f#p171731

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Where did it say he had shattered vertebrae? I must have missed something. It said the driver was fine, named Angelo?

=/ Hope he's recovering well, that sucks!
    As noted in the preceding post, its the 6th response in that thread. But that same individual responded with an update on the 2nd page with the following:

Hello again,

Just wanted to give eveyone another update on Angelo's condition. He did not end up having the surgery I mentioned in the last post, the doctors took another MRI of his spine and decided that it would be best to put him in a brace and let the vertebrae begin to heal, they will monitor the healing progress and if they dont like what they see they may still need to operate. Apart from the drowsiness brought about by pain killers he is doing ok and was able to talk with the people who visited him yesterday. I will continue to post updates as I get them.

-Nick

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    0 times

Between the fatality at Summit and this it was a nasty weekend for club racing.

I hope he gets well soon.

Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by sleeperlove View Post
    Between the fatality at Summit and this it was a nasty weekend for club racing.

I hope he gets well soon.
    Seriously. Btw, here is some video of the crash. If you play it in full screen you can see the dust cloud and sort of see the car do its dance in the distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK_oDeB5RB4

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    1 times

he actually brushed the inside T1 wall and thats what pushed him off track... hope he's doing better!

btw, the line that the mini driver has is horrible. he could be much faster if he ran the proper line and balanced the car better.
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

Liked
    557 times

Quote Originally Posted by MontinolaRacing View Post
    he actually brushed the inside T1 wall and thats what pushed him off track... hope he's doing better!

btw, the line that the mini driver has is horrible. he could be much faster if he ran the proper line and balanced the car better.
    I suppose we'll never know...but was it just the impact deflecting him, or do you think it broke the steering for the left front wheel? In the video it looks like the car went straight off, which seemed strange.

I think the Mini driver was desperately trying to run a defensive line against the black Honda that passed him as soon as he eased off the power seeing the accident. At least, I hope that's why he was running those lines.

Steve

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    I suppose we'll never know...but was it just the impact deflecting him, or do you think it broke the steering for the left front wheel? In the video it looks like the car went straight off, which seemed strange.

I think the Mini driver was desperately trying to run a defensive line against the black Honda that passed him as soon as he eased off the power seeing the accident. At least, I hope that's why he was running those lines.

Steve
    from the in-car video, the driver kept getting closer and closer to the wall, eventually hitting it and its what pushed him towards the dirt. it happened so fast and he had no time to really control the car and he went flying off course at full speed.

no part of the car actually broke until the impact from the grandstands. he hit the wall on the passenger (RHD car) side door which fits with the scuff mark we found on the car.

this is also what NASA has deemed the cause of the accident.

Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by MontinolaRacing View Post

I have never driven Infineon, but to me it simply looks like he was driving a defensive line against the car(s) that were preceding him.

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I have never driven Infineon, but to me it simply looks like he was driving a defensive line against the car(s) that were preceding him.
    could be, but he did it every lap! plus it kills his exit out of T11 and people will just pass him going into T1. oh well... not the particular line i would choose when racing there.

Liked
    1 times

I agree that was a defensive line, but it sure didn't look to be working very well.
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread