+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Crash footage from Streets Of Willow sunday. Cartwheeling off the back straight

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    5 totalled cars in one day? Something needs to be done about the instructors/driver meeting and grid control. That's unacceptable. 100%, no excuse plausible, no justification Unacceptable.
    I am with you on this one, I am amazed all of this happened there were no injuries. I was at a track day there running the same configuration and a guy in beginner group in an S13 rolled coming out of the chicane and they stopped everything and had a mandatory meeting for everyone while they towed his car back in.

Its interesting hearing that most of these kinds of things happen in intermediate it actually makes a lot of sense. But mostly I am surprised that after multiple accidents they did not take a time out and really try and slow things down a bit for the sake or everyones safety.

Liked
    977 times

It looks from the video like this was the outlap? Maybe the Playstation version has tire warmers in the pits

Liked
    2165 times

Why do the Millenials so often remove their airbags. The worst injury I have ever seen was about six years ago at SoWS and it was a young guy and his girlfriend who managed to hit the only cinder block wall on SoWS at the time. He had to be airlifted out with massive facial injuries. If he had left the airbag in he would not have bent the steering wheel with his face. He was wearing an open face helmet and he had bling style harnesses, not real race harnesses and they stretched so much the only thing that stopped him was the steering wheel. His faux race seat also collapsed on the mounts on the floor. His girlfriend was not in much better shape. The OEM protections would have been much better than the fake race stuff.
    krazik likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Why do the Millenials so often remove their airbags. The worst injury I have ever seen was about six years ago at SoWS and it was a young guy and his girlfriend who managed to hit the only cinder block wall on SoWS at the time. He had to be airlifted out with massive facial injuries. If he had left the airbag in he would not have bent the steering wheel with his face. He was wearing an open face helmet and he had bling style harnesses, not real race harnesses and they stretched so much the only thing that stopped him was the steering wheel. His faux race seat also collapsed on the mounts on the floor. His girlfriend was not in much better shape. The OEM protections would have been much better than the fake race stuff.
    I remember that crash. The reason to remove the airbag is to have a pro-style racing steering wheel for better handling, duh.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I'll guess that many Millenials grew up with helicopter parents. Unfortunately tracking their car is their first time to be allowed to fail, helicopter parents no longer hovering, and they fail big. It's hard watching your kids fall and get hurt, wreck their bicycles . . . but I keep telling myself it's better they learn now than later.
    JJ1 likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I remember that crash. The reason to remove the airbag is to have a pro-style racing steering wheel for better handling, duh.
    Yeah I mean what if you need to jump out of your car really fast because you can't reach the drive through window.

lol.

I was at this track day in a 370 in green. It was a complete noobfest after 2nd session. 1 bad off in the morning then this one, then 2 more is what I remember, there might have been more idk I stopped counting. @ OP was this the 240Z from gold group on the come out lap?

Liked
    2283 times

for those of new to track. NEVER ever swap out your airbag steering wheel for a non-airbag, unless you have a roll cage/harness/racing seat.

aftermarket steering wheel imo is the worst mod anyone can put on their street car.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 05-13-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by illwillem View Post
    Then there was a Lotus that was tore up missing wheels and leaking fluid
    Was it a yellow lotus that looked like an mr2?

Liked
    977 times

From Facebook:

Liked
    299 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    for those of new to track. NEVER ever swap out your airbag steering wheel for a non-airbag, unless you have a roll cage/harness/racing seat.

aftermarket steering wheel imo is the worst mod anyone can put on their street car.
    whistling...
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    375 times

Well, they did say 'Extreme.'

Liked
    226 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    That's a bad scene. By the time a driver gets to intermediate, you would think he would have grasp of the risks involved and the consequences of driving over his head.
    Depends on the definition of "Intermediate". I saw on one group's website that 2 days track experience qualified you as an intermediate driver!!!! We usually talk in terms of about 10 or more track days. From my perspective (and personal experience), it is most always the beginners, either because they are trying too hard to go fast, or because they have a couple of days experience and now "know what they are doing".

We were trying to come up with an incident report years ago, and when we discussed a list of incident "causes", it looked like this:

1. Driver Error
    2. Driver Error
    3. Driver Error
    4. Driver Error
    5. Driver Error
    6. Driver Error
    7. Driver Error
    8. Driver Error
    9. Driver Error
    10. Mechanical Failure
    MikeColangelo likes this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    977 times

We had one THQ'er recently confess to going straight into advanced group as a result of Gran Turismo expertise!

Liked
    61 times

Quote Originally Posted by cosmin View Post
    Was it a yellow lotus that looked like an mr2?
    hahahh no, but I also got that on film. Second lap into the first session. :]

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    We had one THQ'er recently confess to going straight into advanced group as a result of Gran Turismo expertise!
    SEEMINGLY unrelated posts. or..
    hakeem, Pure EvoIX and bawareca like this.

Liked
    299 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post

Well, they did say 'Extreme.'
    Okay, im stumped. What turn is this and what happened?
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by cosmin View Post
    SEEMINGLY unrelated posts. or..
    You sure are on a roll today, unlike me (because I'm missing a wheel). Sadly, Gran Turismo doesn't simulate car prep. If it did, this never would have happened.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I'll take the risk of voicing a contrasting opinion about our sport only because no one else has. I believe that going to a track with a car is inherently risky business as a matter of fact. **** happens. If it doesn't, then people aren't driving hard enough*. I could imagine this forum being called DrugHQ and people voice concerns about how someone needs to do something about all these dealers getting arrested. Five guys were arrested for dealing smack the other day. That' s unacceptable! There must be something we can do to keep people from getting arrested for performing the illegal sale and distribution of controlled substances! We'e told them time and again: don't get caught. And they keep getting caught which is clearly indicative of some systemic problem with the drug dealer union. They should have had more meetings-- that would solve the problem.

Often I see the distribution of blame here on track HQ: blame for the driver, blame for the organization, blame for the track design, blame for the track owner, blame for the brand of equipment the driver was using, etc. In my opinion, the only blame that legitimate is the blame aimed squarely at the driver. It's up to you as a driver to assess -- honestly -- how much risk you are willing to accept. Then it's up to you to patron tracks that accommodate your chosen level of risk. It's also up to you to place yourself in the run group that accommodates your chosen level of risk. Lastly, it's up to you to drive in a manner consistent with your chosen level of risk. It seems to me that a lot of people here would like to enforce their risk threshold on others through social pressure and regulations imposed by organizations. I can't agree with that.

5 totaled cars in one day? Ask the drivers what price they were willing to pay and then decide if it's a tragedy. As our sheriff has said, "If I am not willing to drop it off a cliff, I don't race it."

*relative to the run group and goals of each individual driver. Beginners gonna begin, I get it. Some are there to putt around as if they are on speed controlled public streets, and others are there to challenge themselves.

POST IT. Because, reasons.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 05-13-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    14 times

My first year of tracking HPDE was on the East Coast at Sebring with either Chin Motorsports, PBOC or PCA. I then moved to South CA and have been participating in Track days with
    various organizations here for 12 months. In my opinion all track day organizers could take a leaf out of Chin Motorsports book with regards to the communication of the importance of safety at drivers meetings. Chin Motorsports grill and grill the participants on this matter. Additionally Chin as well as PBOC and PCA on the east coast have a rigorous procedure
    of driver education. Only after atleast 6 track days with an Instructor do you have the opportunity of becoming a solo driver in the beginners group. Only after numerous more track
    days and a ride along appraisal will you be able to pass to the Intermediate group. The advanced group, well, that comes once you have completed literally thousands of laps as one is running with GT3 Cup cars lapping in approx 2.05 - 2.15secs - fast ! The end effect of this discipline is that the HPDE events on the east coast seem to comparatively take place
    with very little incident. I could not believe my first track day experience here in South CA, Big Willow, cars flying off in clouds of dust, one rollover, one Vette on turn 4 through the
    fence ( his first ever time on a race track on his second lap). "Wow", I thought, different world here, the 'Wild West !' The first mod I made to my car a week later was to get a full roll cage installed, not so much for the dreaded rollover but more for side impact protection from someone else loosing control.....On a positive note it is good to see so many young people attend HPDE/ Track days in CA. On the east coast track days are a lot more expensive and therefore a deterrent to the younger driver. It would however be good to see more serious attention given to drilling home safety by the organizers as I fear otherwise with increasing participation serious accidents and injuries will occur before long.

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Often I see the distribution of blame here on track HQ: blame for the driver, blame for the organization, blame for the track design, blame for the track owner, blame for the brand of equipment the driver was using, etc. In my opinion, the only blame that legitimate is the blame aimed squarely at the driver. It's up to you as a driver to assess -- honestly -- how much risk you are willing to accept.

5 totaled cars in one day? Ask the drivers what price they were willing to pay and then decide if it's a tragedy. As our sheriff has said, "If I am not willing to drop it off a cliff, I don't race it."
    Sounds like this forum encompasses many opinions and a variety of people place blame where they see fit. Or in other words, exactly how a forum is designed to operate.

You can blame the drivers sure, but it is the organization that is ultimately the provider, teacher and enforcer. If you don't teach the proper technique, etiquette or control, there is some liability there. 5 cars being totaled in one day is extremely high, if a mandatory drivers meeting doesn't alleviate the stupidity on track, other courses of action should have been taken before someone really got hurt. I personally wouldn't want that kind of result on my conscience.

This is why organizations such as NCRC place attendees into groups rather than allowing individuals to make that decision themselves.
    Last edited by BOWERSdaAZIAN; 05-13-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    tq3z likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast