Liked
    29 times

i drive a miata. no care.
    F@ck likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    38 times

Default Really???

If I weren't in Berlin trying to be on vacation, I'd try to read more of all this. So, just two comments:

Our sport is less in need of safety restrictions than about 500 other things. We've had around 5 deaths nationwide in 4 years, which (tragic as they have been) is something we should be pointing to as an indication of how ridiculously SAFE this sport is, not the other way around.

There are virtually zero legal/insurance issues on an industry-wide basis. Emilio's fears are completely unfounded. IF we get to the point where we all are having our racing lives impacted by deaths, injuries, lawsuits, and insurance issues, then we will have to discuss this. But.. we're not, so why are we discussing it?

I am extremely surprised that, due to a small number of tragic incidents in a large, nationwide sport, these topics are even brought up. I imagine there are over-reactive people in all industries - clearly we have some in ours too. (I just can't believe EMILIO is one of them!!! ).

Liked
    237 times

In my view, until I see hard data from the last 20 or so years, this is too emotion-based. Like Aaron, I'm not at all convinced the sport is unsafe. Annually, how many deaths are there in skydiving, flying light airplanes, cycling, etc.?

I will offer this: If we're going to put limits on the sport, instead of a speed limit, I think it makes more sense to create a classing system that factors in car performance, driver skill, and track. So, for instance, a novice driver showing up with a C5 Z06 should be limited to the slower, more technical tracks and not the more treacherous tracks like Willow Springs, Watkins Glen, or Pacific Raceways. Another guy who's been doing HPDE safely for at least 2-3 years and whose Nissan 370Z has a properly installed roll bar, racing seats, and harnesses shouldn't be limited to any track. Or something along those lines.

Without imposing a speed limit, we can also slow down fast tracks using chicanes. We can slow down cars by limiting tires to TW 200 or higher just like Lemons/Chump racing does. It works.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on the topic.

Liked
    51 times

I think 115mph is a better figure because that is as fast as my Miata goes.

No speed limits in the top 2 run groups. How about that?

Liked
    366 times

What are you going to do? Give moving violations to the people who exceed the limit? I'm literally laughing my ass off over the thought of getting a ticket while on track.

Would be dope though.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    76 times

I feel like this whole topic of speed limits on track to be "safer" is akin to Bush saying there was WMD's in Iraq. There is serious false flag being raised here in my opinion. Fear mongering...straight up
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    I feel like this whole topic of speed limits on track to be "safer" is akin to Bush saying there was WMD's in Iraq. There is serious false flag being raised here in my opinion. Fear mongering...straight up
    Political analogies! We are only one or two posts away from fulfilling Godwin's law.
    ucfbrett likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2165 times

The problem with regulations like this is that before we know it unfair rules will get made up to control people and eliminate them from the track. What group gets to drive fast and which does not?

Will we gather up one group if we don't like them and burn their log books and then break there windshields and send them away? Who decides that. it sounds like Nazism at the track.

I cut to the chase for you....
    SDSUsnowboards and Blackbird like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    143 times

It's going to be like street car drag racing. You go too fast you go home. Break 2:00 at BW and you are out!

Since there won't be any point in buying a fast car, even more drivers will buy Miatas.
    Last edited by Silversprint; 08-23-2015 at 04:56 PM.
    Schmoe Money likes this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    61 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Political analogies! We are only one or two posts away from fulfilling Godwin's law.
    Well, ill tell you what the REAL crime is... First thing Hitler did when he came to power was to make the VW Beetle. Think about it, man. it was really just about slowing people down.. ... . (hits the joint)

Liked
    2243 times

As tragic as it is when people die doing something in the name of fun, I don't think accidental deaths at track days are trending up or down. If memory serves, we get one or two nationwide every year. I can think of other activities that have a much higher mortality rate that might be more in need of solutions or regulations.

I also don't think speed limits, graduated licensing, car- or track-dependent variables would be viable answers, because they're too difficult to put in place and to enforce.

Like good academic theory, any solution should be as simple as it can be. If a given spot on a track is particularly hazardous, maybe something as simple as a chicane marked with cones would work. It would slow down the novices so they don't hurt themselves and it would give experienced drivers an additional challenge.

I don't think the system is broken. I agree with earlier posts about personal responsibility. I never shied away from spending money on safety items, and when I started getting fast enough that I recognized the consequences were much greater, I anted up for the full complement of safety gear, from a roll cage to a HANS. Then again, I learned to drive fast in a Miata, not a Z06. I recognized the folly in trying to learn in a car with lots of power, at least for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3