Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By craZee
  • 2 Post By flink
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob

Thread: COTA download

Liked
    444 times

Default COTA download

Just got back from running COTA this weekend with Speedventures.

First, a version for Richard: flew there, drove fast, grinned like an idiot, repeated......

Now for those that like a few more details:

Props to Aaron, Adam, Jared and whoever else helped for an awesome event. Even though I have been to ACSW many times, I still smile each time I drive though the tunnel and look at the facility. Multiply that times a factor of 5, and that's what you get when you drive into COTA.

The facility is AMAZING. Everything is nice, clean, painted, bright, big, well thought out, labeled. I could go on and on.

The weather forecast was looking sketchy for the weekend, but out of my 8 sessions over 2 days, I never drove in actual rain, and the track was only really wet my very first session Sat morning. There were tornados in the nearby area on Sun night, and I saw several freeway signs bent over from the wind on my way from Austin to Dallas this morning.

The track has some very slow technical sections, but also some stupid fast straights. I was hitting 140 mph on the back straight and you have to slow down to about 40 mph for the turn at the end. I started the weekend braking at the 300m mark and got down to about 175m. I think I could brake at the 150m mark but you have about 5-6 seconds to talk yourself out of it each time lol

My best time was a 2:50.xx, which is only 1:20.xx/ lap slower than an F1 car. That means they would not lap me every lap!

With some R compound tires, (and more chest hair), I think the car (280Z w/LS1) could get in the high 2:30's. I was picking up 3-4 sec. every session.

Saw 2 people wad up nice cars (Viper and Porsche). Not a good weekend for them. Aaron said they would be getting nice bills from the track for the wall repairs as well.

Even though it was expensive, if the opportunity comes around again, I will be hard pressed not to make the trip!

craZee
    ucfbrett, granth, bawareca and 1 others like this.

Liked
    1486 times

Did you have Texas Bar-Be-Que and eat at the crazy place outside the track with the dead animals all over.

Liked
    444 times

Had Smokey Joes BBQ with my brother who lives in Austin. It was awesome as well

Liked
    1486 times

I raced CoTA with SCCA after the F1 inaugural race and stayed in a hotel across the street from Cabela's and eat Bar-Be-Que for nearly every meal. I was in heaven. I hope to go back.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I raced CoTA with SCCA after the F1 inaugural race and stayed in a hotel across the street from Cabela's and eat Bar-Be-Que for nearly every meal. I was in heaven. I hope to go back.
    Did you change the color of your car?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

COTA looks like fun in the rain.

(nsfw)

(That's Ralph Warren who some of you will know. And damn that V8 sounds good)
    robburgoon and Loose Caboose like this.

Liked
    855 times

Great post. Sounds very memorable.

Was there a good turn out?

Liked
    444 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Great post. Sounds very memorable.

Was there a good turn out?
    yes, 140-145 cars on Sat. 160 was sell out number per Aaron

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Did you change the color of your car?
    My paint was getting tired. Crew chief needed something to do between races. Too much following and not enough leading! So in the words of Rocky and Bullwinkle IIRC... I'm the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown or that Carl is really a traffic cone now.
    Schmoe Money likes this.

+ Reply to Thread