• 3 Post By ucfbrett
  • 1 Post By Olitho
  • 1 Post By CharleyH

Thread: Cost for s season of pro racing - Perception vs Reality

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Default Cost for s season of pro racing - Perception vs Reality

Olitho, bellwilliam and SteveLevin like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2339 times

Hope my wife don’t see this thread
    Olitho, Red_5, bawareca and 1 others like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2281 times

Not surprising.

My question for comparison/contrast is the same as always: Are the pros having more fun than we are?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Not surprising.

My question for comparison/contrast is the same as always: Are the pros having more fun than we are?
    I would argue, less. The incredible stress of needing to be faster than your team mate, who happens to be really freaking fast, has got to take years off your shelf life. Then there is the whole, wreck the car and my kid doesn't go to college. Lose and.. my kid doesn't go to college. Pretty much anything short of pissing excellence and your kid doesn't go to college.

In contrast, we spend ours kids college fund on our race car and are perfectly happy sucking at it. Way less stress.
    Olitho, cosmin, bawareca and 1 others like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2281 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I would argue, less. The incredible stress of needing to be faster than your team mate, who happens to be really freaking fast, has got to take years off your shelf life. Then there is the whole, wreck the car and my kid doesn't go to college. Lose and.. my kid doesn't go to college. Pretty much anything short of pissing excellence and your kid doesn't go to college.

In contrast, we spend ours kids college fund on our race car and are perfectly happy sucking at it. Way less stress.
    I can't help but agree. I met a father and son at the last race of the season last weekend and they had bought a pair of Spec Miatas, a two-car open trailer and they're going racing together with us next year. It warmed my heart, that they were having that kind of experience together. Naturally, the kid was faster than the dad.

Fun fact: The kid's car is Wilson Steele's old car. And, lo, it has returned.

One day, I hope to be in that same position, to have the time with my kid(s), sharing an experience and a skill as fan****ingtastic as racing. And they'll still go to college.

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    This is true.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    475 times

I can't wait to see the Spec Corvette series as one of the options on this list!

Liked
    1556 times

As a datapoint a year of SCCA Majors racing (Out of region) with Runoffs is about 40-50% the cost of Global MX-5 pro for the year.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

Those "actual" costs are a bit low, maybe for backmarker teams. I was just talking to some guys who said you need 750K to be competitive in TA2 and ST is more on the lines of 3-400K.

Liked
    2221 times

I had a talk with the Trans Am officials today at CoTA in Austin. They are open to the idea. I was talking with the Tech Director and TA4 is an option if we want to pursue it. We also have a very influential ally on the east coast who wants to push T1/T2/Spec Corvettes into TA4.

If we want to make it happen we can.
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1556 times

I would run some ta4 just for the fun of it.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

TA2 looks a great on paper but the lack of tech and rules make the costs go out of control. They use a $300 shock but then stuff a $1,500 valve into each damper. Not cost effective.

Iheard one of the temp is spending close to $2M a year to run one car!

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    TA2 looks a great on paper but the lack of tech and rules make the costs go out of control. They use a $300 shock but then stuff a $1,500 valve into each damper. Not cost effective.

Iheard one of the temp is spending close to $2M a year to run one car!
    The guy with all the money mostly wins amateur or pro level. Money is the talent equalizer. If there is talent and money that's an unbeatable combo. I learned that at my 1st SCCA Runoffs in 2014. All us T1 guys were running the Hoosier A6 and we were lucky to have 2 new sets of tires and maybe some old rains. The high dollar "P" team had stacks of the new A7's that the rest of use could not even buy. They had new tires for every qualy session and probably tested on them too. I learned that day I was here to have fun and if I could not live with that time to pick a new sport. Fast forward to last month's Runoffs at Indy. The big dogs were at it again giving up their Monday Tuesday T2 qualy times and bringing out their "back-up" cars! I love amateur racing but would never ever want to be a pro. Every professional that does it is special to be able to put up with the nonsense.

Liked
    163 times

I was always told that the first rule of racing is to NEVER add up the cost. Sticking to this rule makes it much more enjoyable. Whenever my accountant (and wife) asks me “do you know how much you are spending on Racing”... I always tell her to “stop right there, you know, the first rule of racing”
    Last edited by CharleyH; 11-05-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread