+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Corvette Z06 Unbiased Review

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by madant15 View Post
    I do agree to an extent; I rode in a c5 z06 on track, and although the power was amazing, the chassis was not that impressive. The car was quite tail happy
    coming from a twitchy butt S2K, you calling Vette tail happy

Nope, an s2000. This vette was not nearly as modified as yours though...
    you would be surprised as how stock Oli's T1 Corvette is. if it is in either S2K or Miata Challenge, it will barely be in mod class. might be street class in S2KC.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    coming from a twitchy butt S2K, you calling Vette tail happy

you would be surprised as how stock Oli's T1 Corvette is. if it is in either S2K or Miata Challenge, it will barely be in mod class. might be street class in S2KC.
    The s2000 seems a lot more predictable to me, but it is hard to say because I only rode shotgun in the z06. Or maybe its because the z06 in question has a 485rwhp and no wing now that I think about it. No doubt it's a fast car, but not my cup of tea.

Liked
    47 times

I agree with him on the point about the vette getting to be too expensive and losing the sports car for the common man thing. But I love vettes, I guess its one of those things you just have to do to understand.

On the other hand I also love my FWD convertible eclipse track car so maybe its best not to listen to me
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Working
    Liked
    29 times

I hate the interior and the trans. Brakes kinda suck too. But other than that its great value for $$$. IMO 996 GT3's @ 45-50k are incredible value for $. Real drysump, brakes, trans.... SW 3.9 and bye bye to just about everyone.

Liked
    11 times

^^^Great point. Just because something is engineered "wrong" does not necessarily mean it will be slow or boring to drive. Hell, look that the 911; the engine is in a less than ideal spot, resulting in a very high polar moment of inertia. But, according to many (including myself), it is one of the best sports cars on sale today.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ But you can get a C5 Z06 for $18,000. Same price as a base 996.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Antonov View Post
    I hate the interior and the trans. Brakes kinda suck too. But other than that its great value for $$$. IMO 996 GT3's @ 45-50k are incredible value for $. Real drysump, brakes, trans.... SW 3.9 and bye bye to just about everyone.
    The things that I would do for a GT3...;makes me wish I were already out of school and making decent money!

Liked
    2165 times

The things that I would do for a GT3...;makes me wish I were already out of school and making decent money!
    In SCCA T1 racing the GT3s, at over twice the price, have all dropped out because they can't hang with the Corvettes. They just are not competitive as classed. Freddy Baker was the last guy to race one in 2006.

I wish they would give the GT3 some adjustments as I would like to see them running with us.

Liked
    27 times

Go to Speed Ventures' website and pull up the results for 1/17/10 at Cal Speedway. You'll see a couple of GT-R's faster than any of the GT3's that were there. I remember one of them. He was kind of like the MR-S guy in the STUSA thread.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by DocNrock View Post
    Go to Speed Ventures' website and pull up the results for 1/17/10 at Cal Speedway. You'll see a couple of GT-R's faster than any of the GT3's that were there. I remember one of them. He was kind of like the MR-S guy in the STUSA thread.
    That doesn't really mean anything, because the there are such huge disparities in the skills of HPDE drivers.

When it comes to club racing, while there are of course some differences in driver ability, at least you can compare the most competitive drivers in different cars.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

price independent. I would take a GT3 for STREET. But I would not buy one for track no matter who pays for it. yes it is a great car, but a great STREET car, that's it. Engine IS in the wrong place. may be some PCA member can chime in, but I believe same driver, same spec, Cayman is faster than a 911 on track, at least that was my observation last time I watched the POC race at WSIR.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 02-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    That doesn't really mean anything, because the there are such huge disparities in the skills of HPDE drivers.
    Your point is well taken. This was only my 7th track day, and I have a much greater volume of knowledge to learn relative to what I currently know. Maybe the GT3 drivers knew less, I don't know. But the fastest GT3 was in the Green group, which is supposed to be for more experienced drivers, since it is an open passing group. It was only my third day in Black.

Working
    Liked
    29 times

Thats because GT-R's drive them selves, and GT3's require skill and precision, something most yuppies who own them, have very little of. I think they have proven themselves many times over in pro and club level.

My very first trackday, I passed an rcomp/moton 996 GT3 like it was going backwards. That doesn't mean my ****ty AP1 S2000 is a better car.

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Antonov View Post
    Thats because GT-R's drive them selves, and GT3's require skill and precision, something most yuppies who own them, have very little of. I think they have proven themselves many times over in pro and club level.

My very first trackday, I passed an rcomp/moton 996 GT3 like it was going backwards. That doesn't mean my ****ty AP1 S2000 is a better car.
    Another San Diegan like me. Cool.

I would agree that a GT3 would require more skill and precision to drive at the edge, no question about that. That does not mean it is a better car. To say a GT-R drives itself is preposterous. If that was the case, the car must have artificial intellegence too. There are plenty of You Tube videos documenting totalled GT-R's. That must mean the car was depressed and suicidal. Maybe I should add Prozac to the gas tank during track days. Sorry, but anyone who says such things clearly has never driven one and is misinformed. It is easy to drive near the limits, yes.

Have you seen one in competition in the races of which you speak? Once the GT-R's start to arrive, I think you'll find them formidible competition to the GT3. This is because they are engineered very well, and as such, are very easy to drive near the edge. That does not mean they drive themselves. IIRC, the GT-R has a faster Nurbrugring time (before you say it was done on R-comps or slicks, none were available for the GT-R until about 4 months ago). Also, some race series' require RWD. If that is the case, you won't see a GT-R competing.

Seriously though, you are talking about your first track day (I'm sure you've done many since then). It would be a reasonable assumption that, since the GT3 driver was in the same run group, that he was a newb, too, with a very expensive car. In that case, I agree with you and RichardEVO that there will be some disparity in driver skills (and willingness to push the car and scratch or dent it). As people advance up the HPDE hierarchy, one would expect those skills and risk-aversion to become more evenly matched.

I'm comparing cars in the high-intermediate and advanced groups, not the first-timers.

JMHO.
    Last edited by DocNrock; 02-09-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    well the car does have some shortcomings... who the hell still has leaf springs and sliding calipers?... only thing worse would be if we had the mustangs solid axle.

point is... we're still faster than the collective 'you'.

imagine how fast we would be with GOOD equipment.

Imagine if we took your leaf-springs in combo with the Mustang's live rear.

We'd have one fast race truck.

Don't tell anyone, but I like Chevy's too

Take a chevy motor and put it into a ford chassis and that'd be one sick car! (Mustang LS1 swap?)
    -DanBev

2005 Mustang 4.0L(->4.6L)
    Mineral Grey

FUN!

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by danbev07 View Post
    Imagine if we took your leaf-springs in combo with the Mustang's live rear.

We'd have one fast race truck.

Don't tell anyone, but I like Chevy's too

Take a chevy motor and put it into a ford chassis and that'd be one sick car! (Mustang LS1 swap?)
    This will make me sound like a complete idiot (maybe I am... ), but I never knew the Corvette still had leaf springs. Is this really true?

Liked
    1477 times

1. Corvettes have leaf springs.
    2. GT-Rs drive themselves.
    3. GT3s in the hands of HDPE drivers have been known to hit walls. Some of them more than once.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 02-09-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Liked
    2165 times

This will make me sound like a complete idiot (maybe I am... ), but I never knew the Corvette still had leaf springs. Is this really true?

They have composite monoleaf springs that in my opinion is a very good spring. There is nothing that says a good spring has to have coils. It is a lightweight, durable and effective spring.

Liked
    2282 times

you know that Corvette engine's camshaft don't sit on top, that lowly Nissan Sentra, Kia Rio uses. instead, Corvette has these rods that goes up and down, pushing valves open. state of the art technology in 1930s
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    1. Corvettes have leaf springs.
    2. GT-Rs drive themselves.
    3. GT3s in the hands of HDPE drivers have been known to hit walls. Some of them more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    They have composite monoleaf springs that in my opinion is a very good spring. There is nothing that says a good spring has to have coils. It is a lightweight, durable and effective spring.
    No worries, man. It is what it is. Leaf springs, seriously? They must have engineered them quite effectively.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast