• 2 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 2 Post By Richard EVO

Thread: Corvette Stingray Most Efficient Sports Car on the Market

Liked
    2243 times

Default Corvette Stingray Most Efficient Sports Car on the Market

2014-chevrolet-corvette-093-medium.jpg

DETROIT – The 2014 Corvette Stingray will deliver up to an EPA-estimated 17 miles per gallon in the city, and 29 mpg on the highway, making the new Stingray the most fuel efficient sports car on the market as no other car offers more than 455 horsepower and greater than 29 mpg highway.

“The Corvette Stingray establishes the benchmark for modern performance cars by using technologies to deliver more performance and more miles per gallon,” said Tadge Juechter, executive chief engineer for the Corvette. “We expect more and more performance cars will follow Corvette’s example.”

The EPA estimate of 17 city and 29 highway is for the Corvette Stingray equipped with an all-new, seven-speed manual transmission. The estimate reflects an average of fuel economy in both the default “Tour” mode, which delivers 28 mpg highway, and driver-selectable “Eco” mode, which delivers 30 mpg highway. For Stingrays equipped with the seven-speed manual transmission, Eco mode enables Active Fuel Management, which disables four of the cylinders for improved fuel economy during light engine loads.

For Corvette Stingrays equipped with the six-speed automatic, Active Fuel Management is active in all drive modes until the driver engages the manual-shift mode using the steering-wheel paddles. Fuel economy estimates for Corvette Stingrays equipped with the six-speed automatic will be finalized soon.

The highway rating represents an 11-percent increase in fuel economy over the previous Corvette, while the all-new 6.2L LT1 V-8 delivers 455 horsepower, a 6-percent increase over the previous Corvette. The LT1 delivers 460 horsepower with the available dual-mode exhaust.

By comparison, the Porsche 911 Carrera S delivers 400 horsepower, and an EPA-estimated 27 mpg highway.

Sports cars with more than 455 horsepower typically offer significantly lower highway fuel economy estimates than the Corvette Stingray. For example, the Jaguar F-Type S offers 495 hp and 23 mpg highway while the Audi R8 V10 offers 510 hp and 19 mpg highway.

Sports cars that deliver more than 29 mpg highway based on EPA estimates typically deliver significantly less engine output. For example, the Porsche Cayman offers 30 mpg and 275 hp while the BMW Z4 sDrive28 delivers 34 mpg and 241 hp.

The 2014 Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale this fall, with a convertible following by the end of the year.

Liked
    1477 times

Buncha complicated BS that will cause it to break on track . . .
    pucsicsal likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Dear rest of the world, are you even trying? This is a push rod engine with two valves per cylinder...
    JJ1 and Blackbird like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    258 times

There is absolutely zero chance I would ever get >17mpg in this car...

BID
    emilio700, JJ1 and Twofer like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

I avg 14 in the C6Z
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2284 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    By comparison, the Porsche 911 Carrera S delivers 400 horsepower, and an EPA-estimated 27 mpg highway.
    but Porsche 911 S gets 19mpg city.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1487 times

What a silly thing efficient Sportscar. I would trade the extra mpg for more horsepower. If I wanted efficiency I would buy a four seater.
    Richard EVO and JJ1 like this.

Liked
    29 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    What a silly thing efficient Sportscar. I would trade the extra mpg for more horsepower. If I wanted efficiency I would buy a four seater.
    Exactly

Liked
    11 times

EPA ratings are aren't necessarily representative of real world fuel economy with big v8s. The second you get into the throttle, mileage goes to ****. On the other hand, I get 20mpg in my 997 C2S whipping.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by madant15 View Post
    EPA ratings are aren't necessarily representative of real world fuel economy with big v8s. The second you get into the throttle, mileage goes to ****. On the other hand, I get 20mpg in my 997 C2S whipping.
    A few years ago there was a test Top Gear test-Prius vs M3.Prius was set to drive pedal to the metal on their test track for 10 or so lap, with the M3 trailing.The end result was something like 15 mpg for the Prius and 17 mpg for the M3.For what it's worth,mpg is a very subjective number.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

I can't think of any car that you'll drive pedal to the metal on a race track and still get 15 MPG

Liked
    421 times

the engineers are just designing their cars around the EPA tests rather than optimal real world operation
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I can't think of any car that you'll drive pedal to the metal on a race track and still get 15 MPG
    15 Mpg is not a high price for being slow

Liked
    2284 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    A few years ago there was a test Top Gear test-Prius vs M3.Prius was set to drive pedal to the metal on their test track for 10 or so lap, with the M3 trailing.The end result was something like 15 mpg for the Prius and 17 mpg for the M3.For what it's worth,mpg is a very subjective number.
    that's one of the useless test by Top Gear (that's saying a lot)....it really was a tire instead of mpg test.
    if they had swapped tires between Prius LRR tires with M3's extreme performance tire and vice versa, Prius would be probably 30mpg vs. M3's 10mpg.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 07-18-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    that's one of the useless test by Top Gear (that's saying a lot)....it really was a tire instead of mpg test.
    if they had swapped tires between Prius LRR tires with M3's extreme performance tire, Prius would be probably 30mpg vs. M3's 10mpg.
    You are the only one here with a real world experience tracking a Prius,so I trust your expertise
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Agreed. People paying $80,000+ for a Tesla Model S in order to save on gas is pretty ridiculous too.
    ucfbrett and redtopz like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread