+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Red_5

Thread: is cool suit a safety issue in fire ?

Liked
    2528 times

Default is cool suit a safety issue in fire ?

I've heard this a few times. Some of big manufacturer is claiming cool suit is a hazard in a fire, steam ....

wonder if this is true ?
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    89 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I've heard this a few times. Some of big manufacturer is claiming cool suit is a hazard in a fire, steam ....

wonder if this is true ?
    I suppose it could be but I think that's a bit blown out of proportion... By the time being burned by steam became an issue you probably have a lot worse things to be worried about... Like a Simpson Helmet guy told me a few years ago when I asked about their nylon helmet strap vs a Kevlar helmet strap. His response was basically if a Kevlar helmet strap comes into play you have much worse problems than what type of material is holding your helmet on your head

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

See this. My take on this principle is that steam transfers the thermal energy to your skin much faster than if you were to just be near a heat source of equal temperature. In practical terms, that means you receive greater burns from a car full of steam in the time it takes you to exit the car, than if it was just a fire without steam.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    89 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    See this. My take on this principle is that steam transfers the thermal energy to your skin much faster than if you were to just be near a heat source of equal temperature. In practical terms, that means you receive greater burns from a car full of steam in the time it takes you to exit the car, than if it was just a fire without steam.
    True but the cool suit would have to be compromised to become steam and like I said if there's something slicing up your cool suit or the flames have penetrated your fire suit enough to be melting the silicone lines allowing water to escape you got worse problems...

Liked
    2356 times

Also, if the tubing melts, doesn't it stick to the skin? I've seen guys wear the shirts inside out for greater cooling effect.

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Also, if the tubing melts, doesn't it stick to the skin? I've seen guys wear the shirts inside out for greater cooling effect.
    As long as there's water in the tube it won't melt at least not at my temp you're going to survive.
    Force McCocken likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    89 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Well you're supposed to wear a layer of nomex under the cool suit OR some of the new suits are nomex themselves.. i believe most manufacturers are using silicone hose in the suits themselves

Silicone itself doesn't really melt as much as just char up when exposed to flame... (at least every time I've tried to light it on fire...lol)

Liked
    1720 times

Even with coolshirt you sweat. Sweat will steam you. The water in hoses just adds to what is already there. Cotton burns. Traqgear makes the coolshirt out of nomex or carbon x. Google them. Carbon x has more insulation than nomex and wicks sweat from the body and reduces steam burns. It is the carbonx claim to fame. But we walk around the paddock with sun shinning. I still like nomex because you can get it white or light colors. Carbon x is black. It is hot.

Liked
    807 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    As long as there's water in the tube it won't melt at least not at my temp you're going to survive.
    This.

Take a plastic or styrofoam cup, fill it half way with water, place in an open fire. The plastic will melt around the water but not burn away until the water is gone.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread