+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cool suit advice

Liked
    448 times

Default Cool suit advice

I am installing a cool suit system in the Cheese Z Racing car for this weekend's LeMons race at Buttonwillow. What have people found works best in the ice chest to keep the water cool? Block ice, crushed ice, blue ice things?

I was thinking of buying some blue ice packs and refreezing them with a block of dry ice in a cooler. Anybody done this before?

Any help will be appreciated.

BTW, in case anyone else is going and wants to know what their piece of crap car weighs, I will be weighing cars for $20.00 in garage # 6 starting Friday AM.

craZee

Liked
    70 times

If you put ice in there, it eventually raises the water level when it warms and melts. During a pit stop, you'll have to waste some time scooping out said water before putting more ice in.

Blue ice seems to work very well and lasts very long. You'll need to bring a freezer of some sort, either portable or in the RV. Be sure to have enough packs to last you throughout the entire race which will include multiple swaps. Get the big packs that will allow you to fit 4-6 in the cooler. Swaps are simple; during a pit stop, bring out fresh ones in a bucket without worry for the water level.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    2283 times

my advice for you in Buttonwillow summer.
    bring a freezer out to track. best is to get a garage (it sounds like you have one), if that's taken, get a RV spot. you need the power outlet.

I used blue ice. but block ice is easy too. just get those 1 gallon water bottle, keep it in the freezer (note it will take more than 24 hours to freeze).

you can thank me later.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-25-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    744 times

My buddy and I shared seat time in a project racecar. We used a homemade PVC water gun, originally build for water fights to drain the reservoir. It was simple and very effective and gave us something mischievous to do in the paddock. Basically it was a a piece of PVC with a simple nozzle on the end with a piston inside and a rudimentary handle/pump attached to that. It held 2 ltrs and was easy to extract and empty. We either shot the water over the wall or into a bucket next to the car. That thing had about a 30 ft range, further if your adrenaline was pumping during the stop.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1 times

Were you able to figure out a way to make a cool suit? My team thought about making one, but ran out of time.

How did you end up doing?

Liked
    1477 times

Force -

Yer one crazy nut. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    My buddy and I shared seat time in a project racecar. We used a homemade PVC water gun, originally build for water fights to drain the reservoir. It was simple and very effective and gave us something mischievous to do in the paddock. Basically it was a a piece of PVC with a simple nozzle on the end with a piston inside and a rudimentary handle/pump attached to that. It held 2 ltrs and was easy to extract and empty. We either shot the water over the wall or into a bucket next to the car. That thing had about a 30 ft range, further if your adrenaline was pumping during the stop.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    448 times

The cool shirt worked awesome.

We just ended up using regular ice and cold water from the drink cooler.

Nice and refreshing :-)

Best time of 1:12.3 from the "rat car"

craZee

Liked
    744 times

I dunno. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a cool suit. Maybe I should look into that. Sewing some channels to a wicking fabric is a little tedious, but it's not impossible.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread