• 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 2 Post By Olitho
  • 2 Post By redtopz
  • 1 Post By Olitho
  • 3 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By redtopz
  • 1 Post By bellwilliam
  • 5 Post By bellwilliam

Thread: Congrat to Redtop (Bill) and Oli on thier Trans Am win and podium !!

Liked
    2533 times

Default Congrat to Redtop (Bill) and Oli on thier Trans Am win and podium !!

Bill won on his first ever Trans Am race, Oli podium'ed....

not bad for 2 old Trackhq regulars.

btw, they both have a Miata (Bill has a SuperMiata).

S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    693 times

Congarts. Waiting to hear from them.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    765 times

Congratulations to both of you, nice work!
    bellwilliam likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    243 times

Congratulations!!
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2344 times

Congrats Bill. You proved again that you are a champion!

champ.jpg

trophy.jpg
    SeanB, redtopz, bawareca and 2 others like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1721 times

Outstanding! Great job both of you.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    887 times

Wow.

Good guys prevail!

bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    990 times

Um thanks! Not really a big deal, just fun being part of Trans Am's expansion to the West Coast. There are 2 more races in the Western series this year, Portland in July and then the big combo event at COTA in November which will be televised. I wanted to get in now and it took a ton of effort to get all the documentation, paperwork, and car setup for TA3. It's kind of like prepping for the Runoffs and they will make sure everything on your car is 100% legal. The stewards are helpful and friendly, but also knowledgeable and thorough. It's definitely run as a pro series. As they were marking my qual tires (which we have to race on for Sunday) I joked "hey this is almost like a pro series!". One of them smiled and the other guy said "this is a pro series". This was my first time on Pirelli slicks (hard compound) and they had slightly less grip than A7's but were consistent. However, the different sidewall heights and construction made my car handle differently and I didn't have time for any testing. Tyler McQuarrie was supposed to be in our class in a lambo but ended up racing a Ferrari at VIR (poor guy). So I tried to mix it up with the 4 TA2 cars to make things more interesting. They had maybe a 10 sec head start in the race and are faster cars than our vettes (2800 lbs with 460 whp), but either due to tires or brakes tend to fall off more during the race. So I was able to accomplish my goal of overtaking all of them (all in braking and corner entry - thanks Essex AP brakes!), while not interfering with their in-class battles. My only car issue was my AIM dash glitching and not recording lap times or lap numbers during the race. But we have to have a crew chief with a radio in the hot pits, so Flink was able to tell me what lap I was on and other useful info. It was a 36 lap race which took over an hour. Oli and I didn't use cool suits or have any water. I think I will try to setup a drinking water system for the next one. I don't feel like I need a cool suit but I started getting thirsty halfway through the race, typically when a 30 minute sprint race is over. Looking forward to PIR and COTA later this year! COTA will have all the Trans Am racers from around the country so it should be cool. Oh yeah in the first practice session my rear exhaust pipe cracked in half over the axle and I thought I was going to have to head to town to find someone to fix it. But the benefit of Trans Am is the numerous mega buck big rigs right next door with full crews and tig welders who had my exhaust back better than new in around 10 minutes. I offered to pay the guy, but he said "hey we're all a racing family out here and you would do the same for me". So it's cool to see that the racing community is the same wherever you go.
    Last edited by redtopz; 05-01-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

robburgoon and Gian like this.

Liked
    38 times

Awesome job guys! Looks like a lot of fun! Great to see that our cars are competitive at this level and the scene is welcoming and friendly.

Liked
    1721 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    So I tried to mix it up with the 4 TA2 .I was able to accomplish my goal of overtaking all of them

Geeezz! You should just give up growing fish. There will be an empty seat McLarenF1 next year.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Geeezz! You should just give up growing fish. There will be an empty seat McLarenF1 next year.
    All the other F1 drivers are paying RedTop big money to not race F1....
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.

Liked
    990 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    All the other F1 drivers are paying RedTop big money to not race F1....
    Do they have a 50 and over league? Emilio has a better name for it.

Oli you were right there in the race and your car is pig heavy. Lots of low hanging fruit to cut weight on your car. I forgot to tell you I had an issue with the same TA2 car you did at Big Willow. I had passed 2 of the TA2 cars and was making a move on the 3rd one in the turn 5/6 left hand double apex. I was inside and at his door going into turn 6 when I sensed him shutting the door and going for the apex. So I had to put 2 wheels in the dirt at the last second and my rear end started coming around. It took full reverse lock and some time to save it from spinning and after that the other car I had passed got back around me and they pulled a gap. Then I had to catch them again and start over.
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2344 times

Do they have a 50 and over league? Emilio has a better name for it.

Oli you were right there in the race and your car is pig heavy. Lots of low hanging fruit to cut weight on your car. I forgot to tell you I had an issue with the same TA2 car you did at Big Willow. I had passed 2 of the TA2 cars and was making a move on the 3rd one in the turn 5/6 left hand double apex. I was inside and at his door going into turn 6 when I sensed him shutting the door and going for the apex. So I had to put 2 wheels in the dirt at the last second and my rear end started coming around. It took full reverse lock and some time to save it from spinning and after that the other car I had passed got back around me and they pulled a gap. Then I had to catch them again and start over.

Hmmm? A trend?

Do you have in-car video? We should send it to Terry the steward.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    1721 times

Maybe Oli and Bill have to do a "shake and bake" on that guy.
    bellwilliam, bawareca and Gian like this.

Liked
    990 times

No my dash and smarty cam froze after 8 laps. Not sure if it was from the AIM guy splicing my harness for compliance monitoring or when he put in the data hub for the camera. Or maybe the connections weren't tight. Unfortunately I have no video or data for all the action.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2533 times

No my dash and smarty cam froze after 8 laps. Not sure if it was from the AIM guy splicing my harness for compliance monitoring or when he put in the data hub for the camera. Or maybe the connections weren't tight. Unfortunately I have no video or data for all the action.
    2 words: Dash Cam
    ETK likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    53 times

Good job guys! Way to represent the best coast. Expect a podium lockout at COTA also.

Liked
    2533 times

So I tried to mix it up with the 4 TA2 cars to make things more interesting. They had maybe a 10 sec head start in the race and are faster cars than our vettes (2800 lbs with 460 whp), but either due to tires or brakes tend to fall off more during the race. So I was able to accomplish my goal of overtaking all of them (all in braking and corner entry - thanks Essex AP brakes!),
    you should of moved up a class into TA2. This way, you would of won TA2, Oli would of won TA3 !!!
    Olitho, redtopz, bawareca and 2 others like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    990 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you should of moved up a class into TA2. This way, you would of won TA2, Oli would of won TA3 !!!
    Honestly, I've been drooling over TA2 cars for a couple years now. I really want to race one. They are a spec class with sealed motors and ECU's, tube frame with comosite bodies. 2800 lbs with around 460 whp and they can run GT2 in scca as well as ST in nasa. Now that Trans Am is out West I'm going to keep my eyes open for one. The hard part would be selling my baby (current 99 corvette) that I've been racing for so many years. I've put so much time and effort into this car and it's so well setup and fast. I would need to drive a TA2 car and love it before I could make the jump.

+ Reply to Thread