+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Clarkson Suspended from Top Gear

  1. #21
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,717
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    LOL, well, you're living at "ground zero" for Political Correctness-just one of the reasons we left!

    QUESTION: (this goes to your post #16) So, I ran some Skip Barber back in the late 90's. I just happened to be the fastest on track. After that practice session, an older white gentleman (mid-fifties) came up to me and said, "Wow, you don't look German" wasn't smiling at me, more like a smirk. After he said it, five seconds later, he walked away.

    How should I have responded to that? For clarification, i'm primarily African-American with my Great-Grandma half German but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me.
    I would have assumed he was trying to strike up conversation, based on what you said. But there is a lot of information one has to consider in order to determine intent. Body language: If he wanted to offend then I would expect his body language to reflect that. Tense muscles, hands out of pockets, maybe balled into fists, a forward posture, square shoulders, feet spread at shoulder width. I would have attempted to crack a corny joke to see how he continues to interact, and make my conclusion from there. No one I want to interact with can hate on a corny joke!

    I was misunderstood a lot as a kid because I never smiled. Never. I had it in my head that smiling was a sign of weakness, and eye contact was a challenge. Therefore, never smile and never eye contact. My own mother couldn't tell when I was joking because my delivery and body language were so unnatural. Sometimes, you'll deal with socially awkward people like young-me and have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    385
    Liked
    114 times

    Default

    Yeah, I hear you. The only thing I did was give him a "that does not compute look (Spock's Lifted-eyebrow look) " and he walked away! He didn't say, "just messin' with you, no uncomfortable laugh-nothing! I just assumed it was the, "uncomfortable, I've never had black friends, so I'll use Cosby Show black-white scenarios to talk to him", white guy! LOL! The clenched fists didn't occur until he walked away from me.

    Later, that day my driver-coach came up to me and said, "man, what did you say to him?" I just replied "Nothing-I just looked at him". Dude went around calling me a smug asshole! Pete A, the driver coach had to then go around and "disarm" some folks before they decided to talk to me.

    My point is, all he had to do was say, "Hey, great driving out there! My name's ******." Hell, after that, if he'd said, "So how did you get into racing-not many black people doing it," I'd been fine with that as well had he shown he was truly interested.

    It all just goes back to DELIVERY.
    bawareca likes this.

  3. #23
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,717
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    ..."So how did you get into racing-not many black people doing it,"...
    Do you play hockey too?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    385
    Liked
    114 times

    Default

    LOL! Now that's funny! Actually, my next door neighbor played hockey (That's highschool hockey) back in the 80's! Said he wanted IN! The N.Y. Islanders were HUGE back then. Four championships in, like 7-8 years!
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 03-26-2015 at 02:38 PM.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    5
    Liked
    2 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    LOL, well, you're living at "ground zero" for Political Correctness-just one of the reasons we left!

    QUESTION: (this goes to your post #16) So, I ran some Skip Barber back in the late 90's. I just happened to be the fastest on track. After that practice session, an older white gentleman (mid-fifties) came up to me and said, "Wow, you don't look German" wasn't smiling at me, more like a smirk. After he said it, five seconds later, he walked away.

    How should I have responded to that? For clarification, i'm primarily African-American with my Great-Grandma half German but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me.
    I didn't post to respond to this, but I would have said "That's actually funny, because as a Finn, I assumed you were German, finishing behind me like that."

    What led me to post was that I found it funny that all this talk of Germans led some advertising AI to decide to run this ad:

    screen-shot-2015-03-26-3.00.00-pm.jpg

  6. #26
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    QUESTION: (this goes to your post #16) So, I ran some Skip Barber back in the late 90's. I just happened to be the fastest on track. After that practice session, an older white gentleman (mid-fifties) came up to me and said, "Wow, you don't look German" wasn't smiling at me, more like a smirk. After he said it, five seconds later, he walked away.
    Given the time frame you took the school - I would assume since you were the fastest guy in the Skippy school and/or winning the school races that his comment was a lame reference to you being Michael Schumacher or something.... just a presumption.
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    46
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    It all just goes back to DELIVERY.
    Without knowing his intentions, some folks never outgrow being awkward/dopey in social settings.

  8. #28
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,853
    Liked
    1429 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Given the time frame you took the school - I would assume since you were the fastest guy in the Skippy school and/or winning the school races that his comment was a lame reference to you being Michael Schumacher or something.... just a presumption.
    Pretty likely.

    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (or innocence)

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    385
    Liked
    114 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Given the time frame you took the school - I would assume since you were the fastest guy in the Skippy school and/or winning the school races that his comment was a lame reference to you being Michael Schumacher or something.... just a presumption.
    Yes, most likely what the guy was getting at. I WISH i was winning! That lapping day (lapping days usually happened day before regionals) , I got taken out by some dude who was black-flagged 4 times! Car was totaled. He paid the max (4-5K I think), BUT I still had to pay, like, $1600.00. He still raced and my weekend: OVER!
    bawareca likes this.

  10. #30
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,717
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Pretty likely.

    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (or innocence)
    I forgot to mention this in my Clarkson rant. My life became a bit happier since assuming it to be true.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    One of my rules to live by. Pretty sure I've posted it here before . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts