+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Clarkson Suspended from Top Gear

  1. #1
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default Clarkson Suspended from Top Gear

    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  2. #2
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times
    Last edited by Red_5; 03-10-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  3. #3
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,717
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    If the producer is the same person who said Clarkson would be canned should he ever say anything offensive again (referring specifically to the non-events where Clarkson allegedly mumbled "nigger" unintelligibly while reciting a well-known nursery rhyme that contains the similarly-sounding word "tiger" where the substitution allegedly happened; and, again, while describing a bridge as having a "slope" on it while an ethnic person--who could possibly be described using that word in a derogatory way--stood on the bridge, and the bridge in fact having a geometric slope to it), then he deserved it and Clarkson did nothing wrong.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 03-10-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  4. #4
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    It seems the punch was thrown over lack of catering during a shooting day. I think that's reasonable and they should fire the producer. There should always be food on the set of a show with that kind of budget.

    BBC producer hit in Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson 'fracas' identified | Daily Mail Online
    SDSUsnowboards likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  5. #5
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,717
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Oh my. There should be a union for BBC workers. Those working conditions are inhumane.
    Red_5 likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Aw, c'mon! It's not like Brian Williams, who is expected to act professionally. We're talking about Jeremy Clarkson, who makes his living as a boorish lout . . .
    Steve35 and JJ1 like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  7. #7
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,853
    Liked
    1429 times

    Default

    Could be Clarkson was being a dick, could be he took a mocking swing at a friend and someone with a grudge blew the violent work environment whistle.

    Nobody knows but the people involved.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    535
    Liked
    188 times

    Default

    All I know is I almost punched some tech head consultant dickhead last Wednesday while trying to enjoy a burger.
    Must be something in the air?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    16
    Liked
    2 times

  10. #10
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,449
    Liked
    2243 times

    Default

    I can't say I'm surprised. You really can't expect to keep your job if you punch a co-worker. Even if you're Jeremy Clarkson. I'll sure miss him, though.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rolling Hills Estates
    Posts
    2,949
    Liked
    854 times

    Default

    The show relies upon a sense of playful naughtiness that Jeremy demonstrates so well; but there is a distinction between naughty and nasty.

    I have no idea what really happened regarding his reaction to his cold food; but, for my 2 cents, Jeremy crossed the line with terms such as "nigger", "slope", and "lazy, feckless Mexican". While such terms are questionably used in private conversation with an impied understanding that "this is just in fun, and I really don't mean it", there should be no place for them with pubic audiences where such nuances can not be provided.

    Sorry, I will miss the show; but his privileged position should require a modicum of responsibility and respect.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 03-25-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    JJ1 likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rolling Hills Estates
    Posts
    2,949
    Liked
    854 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    If the producer is the same person who said Clarkson would be canned should he ever say anything offensive again (referring specifically to the non-events where Clarkson allegedly mumbled "nigger" unintelligibly while reciting a well-known nursery rhyme that contains the similarly-sounding word "tiger" where the substitution allegedly happened; and, again, while describing a bridge as having a "slope" on it while an ethnic person--who could possibly be described using that word in a derogatory way--stood on the bridge, and the bridge in fact having a geometric slope to it), then he deserved it and Clarkson did nothing wrong.
    You are probably a bit young to be familiar with the derogatory use of the word "slope", but see no. 11 below:

    Slope | Define Slope at Dictionary.com

    or here:

    List of ethnic slurs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 03-25-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    passmenow likes this.

  13. #13
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,717
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    You are probably a bit young to be familiar with the derogatory use of the word "slope", but see no. 11 below:

    Slope | Define Slope at Dictionary.com

    or here:

    List of ethnic slurs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I acknowledged the derogatory usage of the word, as you emphasized in the quotes text. Just because a word could be used that way doesn't mean it was. The evidence lends me to believe he was referencing the geometric slope that actually existed on the bridge.

    Clarkson never said nigger. That was made up by SJWs who wanted attention without having to do something meaningful or productive for it. Anyone can watch the video themselves and clearly hear that whatever word he said was completely incomprehensible, and any similarities to the word nigger are also similarities to the word Tiger, which is the word allegedly substituted.

    As a person partially Hispanic, "Lazy, Feckless Mexican" was funny in the context and spirit it was given. But, of the three, it's the only one which a person could maybe reasonably feel offended by.

    Political correctness is a tool of cowards and there is no place for it in my life. My interpretation of what someone says begins and ends with their perceived intent.

    It's not as if Jeremy can do no wrong. Jeremy most definitely deserved to be sacked if he did assault someone for 30 seconds, and I believe he did.




    Anyway, if we want to be PC, here are some commonly used words you need to remember have potentially offensive meanings. Don't ever use them, just to be safe.
    Ann, Ape, Apple, Banana, Bosch, Brownie, Charlie, Chink, Chug, Coconut, Coon, Cracker, Crow, Eight ball, Flip, Fritz, Frog, Gin, Hun, Jerry, Jock, Mack, Nip, Oreo, Paddy, Pom, Shine, Skinny, Slope, Spade, Spook, Squinty, Taffy, Teapot, and Zip.

    So, I can't say: John, Malcolm, Anne, an Charlie can't play pool at my place because the eightball has a chink in it, and there is a slope to the table. Because Malcolm a black person, is potentially offended by my reckless use of the word eight ball, and my use of the word "Anne"; and, Anne is an Asian who may be offended by my use of the word chink and slope. John is white and might be offended if I say "Charlie." So, instead I'll need to say, after going through mental contortions, "John, Malcolm, the person named Anne, and the person names Charlie can't play pool at my place because the ball with the number eight on it has an imperfection, and the table is lopsided. Meanwhile, my friends are wondering why I first consulted wikipedia, did some calculus on a piece of paper, then took an additional 20 seconds to tell them this.

    I apologize for not being more diplomatic in my disagreement with a friend. I genuinely care about this issue.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 03-25-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    bawareca and passmenow like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  14. #14
    likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego.
    Posts
    329
    Liked
    80 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    My interpretation of what someone says begins and ends with their perceived intent.
    I genuinely care about this issue.
    My last class in PC said something like...
    If what you say is "perceived" by the listener as a non tolerant/slur then it is.
    Regardless of intent.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

  15. #15
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,449
    Liked
    2243 times

    Default

    A predominant theory in communication is that meaning lies with the receiver of the message, not the transmitter.

    For example, the "thumbs up" is offensive in Arab countries, but not here. Showing someone the soles of your shoes is offensive in Arab countries, but here, we'll wouldn't take offense to it at all.

  16. #16
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,717
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by passmenow View Post
    My last class in PC said something like...
    If what you say is "perceived" by the listener as a non tolerant/slur then it is.
    Regardless of intent.
    PC class, LOL. I never took one, if you can believe it. Was that for work? My boss might want to take one. He says some outrageous things sometimes, even by my fairly loosey-goosey standards. He's lucky to have an understanding staff

    Anyway, that's as useful as saying perception is reality.

    Reality is reality. If a person utters words, then the reality of those words is what that person meant them to be because s/he owns the words. Other people can assign their own incorrect meanings and interpretations, but they are still wrong. Most times, the person who uttered the words are at fault for any misunderstanding because the expression was not clear, or the audience was misjudged. Since the person owns the words he also has the responsibility to speak clearly and accurately. But, that responsibility is checked by reason. It is not reasonable for for people to be offended about innocuous words in the absence of any evidence those words were meant to offend, ridicule, embarrass, harass, etc therefor the speaker has no responsibility to accommodate unreasonable people..
    For example, if a good friend comes up to me with a warm smile, points to my Miata, and says, "Why are you driving your girlfriend's car?" then I would feel well-liked, because I know its meant as friendly banter, and that friend is asking for a affectionate verbal beating. If a person who I know hates me comes up to me with a tight lipped smile and squinted eyes, and puts a hand on my shoulder, and says, "That shirt is so well suited for you." Then I know s/he is saying they don't like the shirt. The words matter, but they are subservient to the intent because the intent informs them..

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    A predominant theory in communication is that meaning lies with the receiver of the message, not the transmitter.

    For example, the "thumbs up" is offensive in Arab countries, but not here. Showing someone the soles of your shoes is offensive in Arab countries, but here, we'll wouldn't take offense to it at all.
    Your example served well to show why my outlook works. If an arab dude shows me the soles of his shoes then I know I am meant to be offended. Therefore, I should be offended.

    Whereas the PC class (LOL) referenced by Pass above teaches, "If what you say is "perceived" by the listener as a non tolerant/slur then it is." Logic dictates that the contrapositive of a true if/then statement is also true. Therefore, this class is stating that, "If what you say is not a non tolerant/slur, then a non-tolerant slur is not perceived." Ask the arabs getting thumbs up by American tourists if that's true.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  17. #17
    likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego.
    Posts
    329
    Liked
    80 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    "If what you say is not a non tolerant/slur, then a non-tolerant slur is not perceived."
    My diversity training was mandatory federal employee.
    if your intent was to call your co worker a vegetarian...
    "Bob doesn't eat meat, he just licks it" you would be under investigation.
    And you know what they say, "No Good comes from any investigation".
    bawareca and SDSUsnowboards like this.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Language is an imperfect means of communication, and we should use all the words we've got . . .
    2GRX7 and bawareca like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  19. #19
    Master of Disaster SteveLevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    2,172
    Liked
    546 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Language is an imperfect means of communication, and we should use all the words we've got . . .
    Implying I am imperfect cuts me to the bone. I am emotionally scarred now. I shall have to borrow your Porsche the next time I am in LA to alleviate the pain.

    Steve
    Olitho and SDSUsnowboards like this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    385
    Liked
    114 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Political correctness is a tool of cowards and there is no place for it in my life.
    LOL, well, you're living at "ground zero" for Political Correctness-just one of the reasons we left!

    QUESTION: (this goes to your post #16) So, I ran some Skip Barber back in the late 90's. I just happened to be the fastest on track. After that practice session, an older white gentleman (mid-fifties) came up to me and said, "Wow, you don't look German" wasn't smiling at me, more like a smirk. After he said it, five seconds later, he walked away.

    How should I have responded to that? For clarification, i'm primarily African-American with my Great-Grandma half German but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me.
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts