+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Olitho
  • 2 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By Richard EVO
  • 1 Post By emilio700

Thread: The Clarkson review: Chevrolet Corvette Stingray convertible (2014)

Liked
    2216 times

Default The Clarkson review: Chevrolet Corvette Stingray convertible (2014)

And now things have got worse because thereís an all-new Corvette. Itís called the Stingray and, ahem, I really donít know how to say this but, um, itís excellent.

- This is not a car. Itís a statement -

Yes, mothers still asked their children to come inside when I drove by, and cyclists sneered at me even more cruelly than usual. I felt the hatred from anyone whose IQ was greater than their hat size. And I wanted to lean out of the window and tell them all: ďLook, I know you think this is crap, and that I only bought it to demonstrate my love for Garth Brooks, but, trust me, itís tremendous.Ē

Corvettes have always been good-looking but this one is a masterpiece. Yes, it has four huge exhaust tailpipes and a bonnet thatís more sculpted than the Himalayas. So Iíll agree itís childish, but whatís wrong with that? The Lamborghini Aventador is childish. The Ferrari 458 Italia is childish. The Jaguar F-type is childish. And the Stingray looks as good as any of them. Better, in fact, from some angles. Itís one of the most beautifully proportioned cars Iíve seen.

Under the skin itís like a greatest-hits album. Because what Chevrolet has done is to take all of whatís good from the best of Europe and Japan and put it in its car. It has the same sort of unpronounceable suspension and electronic differential that you get in Ferraris, the same sort of throttle-blipping technology that you get in a Nissan 370Z, the same sort of head-up display that you get in a BMW M5 and a system that shuts down half of the cylinders when theyíre not needed. The same as you get in a Bentley.

But, that said, it has some things you wonít find in any European car. The touchscreen display, for instance, will slide down at the press of a button to reveal a hidden cubbyhole that is easily big enough for a Bible and a small pistol.

There is just one thing, though. If you drive a Jaguar, you are welcome to drop round at my house any time for tea and buns. If you drive a Corvette Stingray, you are not.

The Clarkson review: Chevrolet Corvette Stingray convertible (2014) | Driving.co.uk
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1541 times

I'm making room for the C7 Z06 and may one day join the crowd of lazy old guys who arrive at the track on sticky street tires.
    Olitho and emilio700 like this.

Liked
    1541 times

I just saw a new vert. Wow! GM has been getting someone with European flare to do the interiors. It has very tasteful mixture of European textured leather with alcantera inserts and I bet the plastic does not get sticky or the leather shrink like modern Ferraris.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    708 times

"DO YOU believe that Americaís involvement in Iraq was righteous and justified? Do you have an attack dog? Do you believe everyone has a right to own as many automatic weapons as they damn well please and that Obama Barrack is basically a communist? Yes? So, of course, you drive a Chevrolet Corvette."

Wow, he knows his Corvette drivers. Fun read.
    Last edited by Red_5; 08-02-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    144 times

This is a great car, it screams American know-why.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1915 times

I must admit that the C7 has grown on me, even the tail lights.

Liked
    1477 times

The touchscreen display, for instance, will slide down at the press of a button to reveal a hidden cubbyhole that is easily big enough for a Bible and a small pistol.
    That's 'Merica, OK, Buddy . . .
    Olitho likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    "DO YOU believe that America’s involvement in Iraq was righteous and justified? Do you have an attack dog? Do you believe everyone has a right to own as many automatic weapons as they damn well please and that Obama Barrack is basically a communist? Yes? So, of course, you drive a Chevrolet Corvette."

Wow, he knows his Corvette drivers. Fun read.
    I absolutely love Jeremy "There is a slope on the bridge" Clarkson. But, I wonder if that's what Europoors actually think of Americans.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I'm making room for the C7 Z06 and may one day join the crowd of lazy old guys who arrive at the track on sticky street tires.
    Just mounted the 275/335 Rivals
    Lazy Old Guy Racing
    Olitho likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

+ Reply to Thread