• 2 Post By Force McCocken
  • 1 Post By Neocataboi
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken
  • 1 Post By tstiles

Thread: Chump Car advice needed

Liked
    744 times

Default Chump Car advice needed

I have motivated a group of my friends in Atlanta to consider building a Chump car. We are all, or have been, Miata owners. Between VIR and Daytona, there are enough events that everyone feels like they can get their fill.

We are reading the rules, discussing AIV, other car options, etc. We have a buddy with a '91 tub just sitting in his driveway, and wants to use it for this. Between the 6 of us and the people we know, we can build this tub into a functioning, track worthy car. A few are concerned about AIV and the class we would be in. Personally, I am not concerned with this. Getting out on the track is worth more to me at this point than winning. We already have the cage builder lined up, have a trailer, a few tow vehicles, definitely have enough drivers and knowledge, we may even do events as far away as Texas with the car being kept in Atlanta.

I wanted to get some advice on the pitfalls and positives from Chumpcar from anyone here, especially any who have run a Miata in this series. Does AIV reoccur every season or every event? Should it really be a concern? I understand the spirit of the rules, but I feel if the team already has the chassis and enough spares among up to build it, it makes more sense that finding an unknown crap can off the streets.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2282 times

We've ran every chump car events in socal in last 2 years in a Miata. Surprised you didn't ask me in an email as you were on our T25 team both years !!

You should be concerned with winning, as Miata is one of 2 best chump cars (The other is an E36, which is a faster car on a power track like Daytona). Do it right the first time, so you don't have to rebuild it.

Forget aiv, it really is pretty difficult to find 10 Miata under $500 and expect to get protested after you win a couple of races. Instead go with the stock car rule:
    Start with a bone stock 94 (yes you can run your 90 tub as an 94), which is the only 1.8 miata allowed. I would ditch torsen, although technically legal, you might get protested. Cut stock spring. Run an aftermarket quiet exhaust (chump has a Laguna type rule for its race regardless of the track). Gut the car, get it under 1900LB, run star spec on 6ul. You will have a car that's capable of 2 seconds of top SM.

You already know all the pit stop tricks you will win on your first race I predict.

there are a few important tricks that I will only share offline with my T25 teammate.....
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    744 times

Thanks, William! I was hoping you would respond! Any advice you want to send my way would be most appreciated! You should have my email address.

Right now, We have a grizzly team forming right now. A LOT of sharks in the Miata world. We have mostly older guys (30-45), most have quite a bit of serious W2W experience in various series and clubs. We even have a pro D1 driver who is interested. We *might* even have some decent sponsorship ready to line up when the time comes. Not bad for a bunch of guys who have been friends for over 10 years, whose main common denominator was being banned off Miata.net...
    VagaXt and Neocataboi like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

It would be cool if you documented some of the odyssey here. Like William, I predict win.
    VagaXt and Deepdish like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    744 times

I will try.

Right now, the core group is in the Atlanta area. We have interested team members in Alabama and Texas, potentially an ex-pat in NZ who may be returning to the US. The core has been around the block, so to speak, so it will be interesting. It is a motley collection of jackasses that have a long history and chemistry. I am excited to see how this pans out!

A little history, the group is as mentioned before, rejects from miata.net. We started a private message board around 2000. The largest contingents are from St. Louis, Atlanta, Dallas, and all points abroad. We have all become close personal friends as time went on, meeting at various locations around the US, mostly Deal's Gap where we would generally be the rowdiest, daring-est drivers assembled. We have come together over the years for personal tragedies, celebrations, motorsports, or epic parties. I would call many of these people my closest friends, one is now my wife.

We come from all walks of life, IT professionals, fabricators, softdrink marketers, small-business owners, even a private investigator and stay-at-home dad for good measure. Our gatherings are never boring and always seem to ride some gray area of legality at times. I think we can make this work and do well at it.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 12-27-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    744 times

One of the members on this team we want to include has Cystic Fibrosis. He's like our little brother. Despite the disease, he's probably in better shape than the rest of us. He is someone we want to get behind the wheel. This kid deserves it. 25 years old, great guy. I don't know how we will understand his thick 'Bama accent, but we can manage. Prolly gonna have to brush up on my Spanish to understand Joel, too.
    VagaXt and Neocataboi like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    114 times

DUUUUUDE, then we can race each other!!! i would love to have a wicked w2w race battle desu with you Steve! lol.
    Force McCocken likes this.

Liked
    744 times

Come on out to the east coast and we will show you how we do. IMO,east coast races tend to be a little more physical.

OK, ONE of the team members has a tub, enough spares to build the car plus an extra motor. Another has a garage about an hour near me (his grandmother's) with enough spares to build another car.

Also have a hardtop.

We have a cagebuilder lined up, will weld for beer.

Already have a fire system from a previous car that never was, 6 owner/drivers and 3-4 pro drivers for ringers.

We may have a local Miata specialty shop who looks to be willing to lend a hand. Our main tow vehicle needs a motor swap, but I may be buying an SUV soon. If not, wemay have access to an Escalade soon undergoing a Duramax/Allison swap. Also have a 17' open trailer.

Someone also has a Kirkey raceseat. One of the owner/drivers has access to new parts at wholesale prices.

Looks like we need to find a rear end.

Oh, and we have enough free softdrinks and smart water than we can shake a stick at.

All this happened TODAY.
    Neocataboi likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2282 times

you don't use a hard top. that alone cost $1k.

you build one from ABS plastic. lighter and better aero.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

I tried to read the Chumpcar AIV rules, and they made my head spin . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2 times

Miatas have been very successful here in Texas

I missed the last race at TWS , but all the talk was about the " cheater 94 R pkg " that won on Sat. ... I know one of the guys on that team and all they did was plug 4 solid drivers into a well prepared 94 R package ( fully compliant with the no AIV " rule " ), have excellent pit work , and drive the snot out of it for 7 hrs ... Sounds like ChumpCar uninvited the 94 R pkg

Our team is split , 2 of us are solidly in the miata camp , but the other 2 main guys are not secure in their manhood and refuse to be seen driving a chick car ... I just like winning
    vetteguy2005 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread