+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Chris Harris on the 918

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Default Chris Harris on the 918

This things awesome, but I think it would be way better with just the combustion engine. That would be an epic car.

Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

Liked
    114 times

I don't like Chris Harris, he said Miatas are shiat (without the A), and he doesn't understand why they are as popular as they are. He would prefer an MK2 GTI over a Miata any day...

Based on that, i no longer take his word on anything.
    Red_5 likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    I don't like Chris Harris, he said Miatas are shiat (without the A), and he doesn't understand why they are as popular as they are. He would prefer an MK2 GTI over a Miata any day...

Based on that, i no longer take his word on anything.
    +1

fwd anything over a Miata? I'm guessing he values looks and utility over driving enjoyment, racing pedigree and outright speed.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    114 times

Chris Harris capitulates on his hatred for the Mazda MX-5 Miata... sort of

This is the source to the Miata hate.

Funny enough, in his FRS review, he praises the car for being so much like a Miata. I don't get him.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

In his explanation of not liking miatas he makes a pretty fair point. He only tests the car in stock fashion. Im sure you guys wouldn't like your cars as much if you had to drive them stock instead of using them as a nice light, balanced, RWD platform for modifying.

Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    In his explanation of not liking miatas he makes a pretty fair point. He only tests the car in stock fashion. Im sure you guys wouldn't like your cars as much if you had to drive them stock instead of using them as a nice light, balanced, RWD platform for modifying.
    Nope. Many of us with full race Miatas (caged, race tires, wheel to wheel) have a bone stock daily we love. Stock Miatas are even more fun compared to many bone stock cars. That they can be found on Craiglslist for $2500 and get 30mpg just adds to the win.
    My daily makes maybe 90whp, has 7" wheels with 205 Falken street tires, A/C, cruise, looks like **** and is a blast to drive. I paid $1300 for it with a hard top.
    Neocataboi likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1477 times

Who the hell is Chris Harris?
    hakeem likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Sooooooo... how bout that 918? Aside from that ignorent, miata hating, a-hole Chris Harris, the car looks pretty cool. Still I'd love to see one minus the electrics with that new motor and ultra light weight.

Working
    Liked
    29 times

Chris Harris rules and Miatas are they for sure. And the 918 is a pig.

Now I realize why they aren't making a 500kg lighter non hybrid version, they'd have to design tool another engine.

Liked
    19 times

It is scary that someone with Emilio's talent is driving in something unassuming as a 90hp miata. May god have mercy on the poor bastard that meets him on the wrong twisty bits in their e92 m3, 911 and is humbled by Clark Kent.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post

Oh? Heh, I tracked a totally stock miata (with rollbar) for quite a while. It was really fun bombing around with the car heeled way over on street tires. I had a picture of my car leaned all the way over running down a cobra in the twisties at Spring Mountain. Not sure where the picture went though.

Liked
    543 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Nope. Many of us with full race Miatas (caged, race tires, wheel to wheel) have a bone stock daily we love. Stock Miatas are even more fun compared to many bone stock cars. That they can be found on Craiglslist for $2500 and get 30mpg just adds to the win.
    My daily makes maybe 90whp, has 7" wheels with 205 Falken street tires, A/C, cruise, looks like **** and is a blast to drive. I paid $1300 for it with a hard top.
    Yes! Quoted for emphasis.

I have a '99 that I refuse to do a single modification to because it's just phenomenal as it sits for daily use. Some 15x7 wheels off an SM, and that's it. Paint is fading, it never gets washed, but every time I drive it I have a blast. Having a track-prepped miata made me miss the stock miata if anything, not like it less.

-Ryan
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    142 times

Chris Harris is just being antagonistic on the miata because of the press it gererates anybody that knows how to drive a car would appreciate it for what it is.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    366 times

Why dont you guys ever wash your god damn stock Miatas? Everyone I see is dirty as hell. It's great you guys are having fun in them but jesus, it takes half an hour to soap and rinse the tiny ass thing.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2243 times

Not sure where the picture went though.

Google it?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    He would prefer an MK2 GTI over a Miata any day...
    Just a quick correction, he said 205 GTI (Peugeot), not the veedub GTI.
    It's unlikely that you've driven one because they never sold them in the US (though I have seen a couple here and there), but where I grew up they were quite popular and having driven them I can approve them being quite high on the fun scale.
    The Peugeot 106 is a lot of fun too.
    I wouldn't replace a Miata with one myself, but I'll give it to CH that he's not talking completely out of his a$$...

Of course, by now any 205 GTI that hasn't been babied or restored is a pile of rotting auto-parts while Miata from the same vintage are still up and running and will keep on going for some time...

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Just a quick correction, he said 205 GTI (Peugeot), not the veedub GTI.
    It's unlikely that you've driven one because they never sold them in the US (though I have seen a couple here and there), but where I grew up they were quite popular and having driven them I can approve them being quite high on the fun scale.
    The Peugeot 106 is a lot of fun too.
    Just curious where that could be

Of course, by now any 205 GTI that hasn't been babied or restored is a pile of rotting auto-parts while Miata from the same vintage are still up and running and will keep on going for some time...
    You know,in the part of Europe with a lot of snow the japanese cars dont have time to develop mechanical failures.Usually after 7-8 winters they need extensive sheetmetal replacement to pass the tech inspection(TUV in Germany) and after 10 winters they are usually beyound repair.The french cars maybe just a bit better,but not by much
    But you are absolutely correct that mechanically Mazda will outlive the Peugeot twice

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

Israel.

You're talking about french cars from mid 80's to early 90's, they were nowhere near as well made as they are today.
    Both interiors and exteriors were falling apart on these cars, not quite as bad as Italian sheet metal, but good luck finding a 205 that doesn't have a cracked dashboard

Liked
    641 times

Israel.

You're talking about french cars from mid 80's to early 90's, they were nowhere near as well made as they are today.
    Both interiors and exteriors were falling apart on these cars, not quite as bad as Italian sheet metal, but good luck finding a 205 that doesn't have a cracked dashboard
    Yep,exactly what I meant.
    Except dash cracking that cant be seen nowadays,modern cars are probably cheaper and worse made,but that is another story.

Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Why dont you guys ever wash your god damn stock Miatas? Everyone I see is dirty as hell. It's great you guys are having fun in them but jesus, it takes half an hour to soap and rinse the tiny ass thing.
    That's a half hour I can spend drinking beer.
    tq3z likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast