+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Chief Test Driver for McLaren calls WSIR a "horrendous racetrack"?

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I can't believe how many posts are in this thread about some passive comment referencing a place that's 120 in the summer and NOBODY has even mentioned the most amazing street car ever made!
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    Ever heard of Streets of Willow?
    HA HA! I hear ya, but streets reminds me of a kart track. It would be nice to add more technical aspects to W.S.I.R.

Richard Evo- Yes, the speed through there with a 400+hp, good-handling car is awesome, but can get old. I don't dislike the track-just became indifferent to it after a few events.

Sonoma, Chuckwalla, ThunderH, Phrump, Miller on the other hand... nice western tracks. I don't know, there's something to be said for a corner that goes against all of your data-banked techniques and feels really good when you get it right!

I'd be interested to hear some of Billy's (Stuntman) favorie tracks and why.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    I can't believe how many posts are in this thread about some passive comment referencing a place that's 120 in the summer and NOBODY has even mentioned the most amazing street car ever made!
    You're right, the S2000 needs so much more credit than it currently gets. This is preposterous!
    JJ1 likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    375 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    It would be nice to add more technical aspects to W.S.I.R.
    Big Willow is a much more technically challenging track than Streets. I can't say the facilities are well cared for, and it gets hot as blazes in the summer. But I've driven all the west coast tracks and none of them is as consistently engaging to me (in my low-hp car) as Willow.

I might be the only guy who feels that way. That's fine.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Big Willow is a much more technically challenging track than Streets. I can't say the facilities are well cared for, and it gets hot as blazes in the summer. But I've driven all the west coast tracks and none of them is as consistently engaging to me (in my low-hp car) as Willow.

I might be the only guy who feels that way. That's fine.
    I am pretty close to where you come out on the CA/NV tracks, but I'd rather run Sonoma than WSIR.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    375 times

Sears Point is a great track.

Liked
    1477 times

Sears Point is a great track.
    Jack -

As a SoCal driver, I'm a bit on the fence as to whether I'd rather run Thunderhill than WSIR. That's a much closer call than Sonoma/Infineon/Sears Point, which by such a large margin is the greatest racetrack on the West Coast.

BTW, I absolutely consider WSIR my home track, have many thousands of laps there under my belt, can't wait to get back there, and consider it "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" as Winston Churchill described Russia in 1939. I understand WSIR's complexities as you do in ways that some of the hoi paloi here cannot.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 02-22-2014 at 01:03 AM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    I know! Usually by page 2 at least someone mentions the S2000...

Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    HA HA! I hear ya, but streets reminds me of a kart track. It would be nice to add more technical aspects to W.S.I.R.

Richard Evo- Yes, the speed through there with a 400+hp, good-handling car is awesome, but can get old. I don't dislike the track-just became indifferent to it after a few events.

Sonoma, Chuckwalla, ThunderH, Phrump, Miller on the other hand... nice western tracks. I don't know, there's something to be said for a corner that goes against all of your data-banked techniques and feels really good when you get it right!

I'd be interested to hear some of Billy's (Stuntman) favorie tracks and why.
    Mosport -ballsy highspeed track (the canadian WSIR if you will with way more character, elevation change, passing zones, etc...
    Watkins Glen - highspeed, elevation change, passing zones
    Road America - various types of corners, passing zones
    COTA - modern F1 track in the US, technical, passing zones
    Daytona - best drafting track, thats pretty much it
    Laguna Seca - personal sentiment, corkscrew
    Thunderhill - elevation change, passing zones, highspeed

Common theme here is passing zones due to a well laid out track. Half of these were F1 tracks at one point or another.
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Never been any of them, but Spa Francorchamps, Suzuka Circuit, Bathurst, and Le Circuit Mont Tremblant are on my bucket list . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 02-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I know! Usually by page 2 at least someone mentions the S2000...

Mosport -ballsy highspeed track (the canadian WSIR if you will with way more character, elevation change, passing zones, etc...
    Watkins Glen - highspeed, elevation change, passing zones
    Road America - various types of corners, passing zones
    COTA - modern F1 track in the US, technical, passing zones
    Daytona - best drafting track, thats pretty much it
    Laguna Seca - personal sentiment, corkscrew
    Thunderhill - elevation change, passing zones, highspeed

Common theme here is passing zones due to a well laid out track. Half of these were F1 tracks at one point or another.
    Assuming you weren't racing w2w but just doing a HPDE or TA, would that change your answers? For example, I've always heard Laguna is a great w2w track but pretty boring for open lapping.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Jack -

As a SoCal driver, I'm a bit on the fence as to whether I'd rather run Thunderhill than WSIR. That's a much closer call than Sonoma/Infineon/Sears Point, which by such a large margin is the greatest racetrack on the West Coast.

BTW, I absolutely consider WSIR my home track, have many thousands of laps there under my belt, can't wait to get back there, and consider it "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" as Winston Churchill described Russia in 1939. I understand WSIR's complexities as you do in ways that some of the hoi paloi here cannot.
    Not trying to offend, I just like the idea of going into a downhill sweeper that ends in an up-hill, blind apex turn where you can't see anything! Oregon Raceway is built like that. Lots of elevation change and corners that make you see god before you get out of it. That said, Sears Point is really nice in that regard.

Mosport, as Billy alluded to, is an awesome "pucker" track-should definitely be on your bucket lists. There are three spots on that track where I had to psyched myself up and check the tracks' ball-sizing chart for each turn just to make sure mine stacked up!

I can't really explain any better w/o having a common frame of reference but it sure would be nice to have a Track HQ-Allied Transporter to travel to some of North Americas' great race tracks so you can get the gist of what I'm talking about (hint:it's been done before)!
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 02-22-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ A group of SoCal based trackHQ members led by the infamous Emilio took a trip last year to the Nurburgring and Spa. I was envious and wished I could have joined them. Maybe this website could be a place for tours of the great road courses of the world in the future . . .

Brent?
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 02-22-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Liked
    2241 times

So, I'm getting into the travel business, now?

Liked
    375 times

I would love to drive Mosport, partly because it rivals Willow Springs for title of the fastest track in North America.

According to a quick Google search, the elvation change is similar at both: 166 feet for Mosport, and 160 feet at WSIR. (Laguna Seca is 180 feet and Sears Point is 160.)

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    So, I'm getting into the travel business, now?
    Brett-

Are you adverse to making more money from this site? Seems like a great fit. trackHQ members want to take their annual vacation to hit some of the world's great road courses. You coordinate travel plans, race car rentals, etc. etc. I'm giving you free advice I should be charging for . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 02-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Brett-

Are you adverse to making more money from this site? Seems like a great fit. trackHQ members want to take their annual vacation to hit some of the world's great road courses. You coordinate travel plans, race car rentals, etc. etc. I'm giving you free advice I should be charging for . . .
    ^^EXACTLY^^! Although Richard was nice enough to "silver platter" that one for you! You'll be the "Grand Prix Tours" for racer vacations! If you need some event management help, hit me up!

Jack, you will love Mosport. May even end up getting your own place near the track-not really, but you get what I mean. ;-)
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 02-22-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Liked
    114 times

I would love to drive Mosport, partly because it rivals Willow Springs for title of the fastest track in North America.

According to a quick Google search, the elvation change is similar at both: 166 feet for Mosport, and 160 feet at WSIR. (Laguna Seca is 180 feet and Sears Point is 160.)
    Yes, but the biggest difference is you're accelerating/turning down grades that are steeper than the grades at WSIR and you can't see one of them!

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    melt? Heck, I'm surprised they didn't burst into flames! English people are PALE.

Steve
    They are certainly pale, and often effete; but these weird limey buggers just don't mind the heat.

Noel Coward wrote a song about this very thing called Mad Dogs and Englishmen.

"The Japanese don't care to, the Chinese wouldn't dare to,
    Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one ...
    but Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

Noel Coward: Mad Dogs and Englishmen - YouTube

By the way, Noel sure sounds like a Miata guy.

Folk & Traditional Song Lyrics - Mad Dogs and Englishmen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2