+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By redtopz
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob

Thread: Check out this mad scientist corvette shop:

Liked
    981 times

Default Check out this mad scientist corvette shop:

Anybody know what the torque specs are for the dumaflange onto the thingamajig?

I have been unlucky lately with mechanical problems. Most recently a destroyed ls6 engine in my T1 car and a broken tranny or diff in my st2 car. I really hate it when both cars are down at the same time. Here are a couple shots of my T1 car in my shop receiving a new engine, clutch, and tranny this morning. My new crate engine is a 2001 ls6 so I swapped in the 2002 ls6 cam and heads from my blown engine for the extra 20 hp. Finally replacing my original tranny and clutch as preventive maintenance while I'm there. I think I now have fixed or replaced every single part of this car at one point or another. Hopefully it will be back up and running next weekend.

engine-swap-1.jpg

t1-engine-swap.jpg
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    977 times

Sorry to hear that! Hope to battle you in am ST2 race soon.

Liked
    2282 times

race a Miata !!
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1429 times

Freaking aggies and their big ass sheds!

Liked
    2243 times

Boy, I'd like to have that much room to work.

Liked
    1477 times

Pay someone else to do it!
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Sorry to hear that! Hope to battle you in am ST2 race soon.
    I can fix that car pretty quickly and I'm thinking about the wsir NASA event. Will you be there? The T1 car needed a lot more work so I wanted to get started on it.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Pay someone else to do it!
    I could, but I enjoy racing the cars also. How much would a good driver cost?
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I can fix that car pretty quickly and I'm thinking about the wsir NASA event. Will you be there? The T1 car needed a lot more work so I wanted to get started on it.
    Not sure yet, I am going to WSIR for a test weekend next weekend which will determine if I can make it or not. I haven't driven at WSIR in quite some time!

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Nice setup Bill.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    981 times

My ST2 car just took a 40 pound dump on my floor.

get-attachment.aspx.jpg

I also removed a 35 lb hood and replaced it with a 15 lb carbon fiber hood and cut some holes in it. 60 lbs off the front end so far.

get-attachment.aspx.jpg

Then I cut out most of the cage (which was not only inefficient/heavy but also illegal in places) and loaded it up and towed to it TC Design in Milpitas where Tony and Joe will work their magic on it (cage, seat, shocks, data system). Still some significant work to do removing the old cage but I didn't want to risk continuing myself and cutting the car in half . Between Tony's fabrication skills and Joe's data setup I'm looking forward to a faster and safer car in 2013. I'm also looking forward to the AIM seminar in January so I can learn how to better use the software for data analysis.
    gkmccready likes this.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Nice. Btw, you upping your data? Like maybe an AIM MXL?
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    1486 times

It will be interesting to see the changes to the fleet of T1 cars into ST2 cars and the varied prep. I'm surprised the group has not come to the realization that you have come to that a cam is needed as well and or massive diet like your 60lb lightening. I think you are way ahead of everyone else. You will need to use that to your advantage this year. The group learns fast. I'm too lazy and slow to do all that work so I'll take the easy and chicken way out adding a drinking straw restrictor and ballast in T2. The good thing is I need more weight. So on a hot day when you are cooking on the grid think of me. I'll have my A/C running and coolsuit with tank full of icewater!

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Nice. Btw, you upping your data? Like maybe an AIM MXL?
    Yeah, hopefully the new AIM MXL2.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    It will be interesting to see the changes to the fleet of T1 cars into ST2 cars and the varied prep. I'm surprised the group has not come to the realization that you have come to that a cam is needed as well and or massive diet like your 60lb lightening. I think you are way ahead of everyone else. You will need to use that to your advantage this year. The group learns fast.
    Well many of the T1 cars are pretty close to 8.0:1 already and the mod list that they have come up with for ST2 is very good. My ST2 car is a combination of pig heavy and down on power with a 10 year old LS6. So I'm trying to cut weight first and having more luck with that than I thought. I didn't realize I still had the complete hvac system under my dash. I will probably continue to run my LS6 next year until it fails.

I'm too lazy and slow to do all that work so I'll take the easy and chicken way out adding a drinking straw restrictor and ballast in T2. The good thing is I need more weight. So on a hot day when you are cooking on the grid think of me. I'll have my A/C running and coolsuit with tank full of icewater!
    Yeah I've had more time to tinker on the ST2 car gradually getting it dialed in. But it took time away from my T1 efforts and I ended up with 2 race cars at 75% development as opposed to one at 90%+. SCCA has done me a favor in a way by forcing me to focus on just one car for 2013. However, I plan to continue running my T1 car next year just to save wear and tear on the ST2 car so at least half of my racing will be in the T1 car. I just can't get myself to sell that car yet since it's what I started with in auto-x and hpde. I still love that ZO6.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    977 times

Nice Bill! I am so precisely on the weight/hp limit that my cars legality will largely depend on what I ate for breakfast

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Nice Bill! I am so precisely on the weight/hp limit that my cars legality will largely depend on what I ate for breakfast
    Boy it is really going to hurt at about lap 5 when you realize you really should have taken a wizz before getting in the car.
    hakeem likes this.

+ Reply to Thread