+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Cheap track day car.

Liked
    11 times

I suggest starting out in karting... if I could go back and do it all over that's what I would do. Much lower capital investment and consumable cost for something that is much faster more fun than an entry level track car.

Up Front Costs
    Nice used TAG Rotax kart $3-5k
    Suit/ Helmet/ gloves/ etc $500-1000
    Cheap beater truck to move it around $2500

Consumables
    Fuel $50 per day
    Set of tires $225
    Chain and sprockets $100
    Brake pads $150

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by madant15 View Post
    I suggest starting out in karting... if I could go back and do it all over that's what I would do. Much lower capital investment and consumable cost for something that is much faster more fun than an entry level track car.

Up Front Costs
    Nice used TAG Rotax kart $3-5k
    Suit/ Helmet/ gloves/ etc $500-1000
    Cheap beater truck to move it around $2500

Consumables
    Fuel $50 per day
    Set of tires $225
    Chain and sprockets $100
    Brake pads $150
    Yes absolutely. In fact buy my Tony Kart rotax tag complete set up with spares, driver gear for $4200.
    redtopz likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    466 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Yes absolutely. In fact buy my Tony Kart rotax tag complete set up with spares, driver gear for $4200.
    Do you just have one of everything?..lol
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Do you just have one of everything?..lol
    Not married, no kids.
    SteveLevin likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Not married, no kids.
    That explains it all!

Liked
    60 times

Are you trying to do TRACK DAYS or are you trying to do RACING? Because they are two very different things (especially when it comes to budget). The title of your thread versus the content make that unclear.

Though my suggestion is buy a Ninja 250 and race that. You can be out racing for a couple thousand bucks against 20+ other people and the weekend costs are as cheap as racing gets. No racing is for poor people, but car racing is especially not for poor people.

Be sure to read the STICKY at the top of this forum re costs of club RACING before you decide to go down that path. The cost of the vehicle is the tip of a very large iceberg.

If all you want to do is TRACK DAYS, then buy a street-legal Miata that you can drive to and from the track and go have fun (until you realize it gets boring and want to go RACING ).
    2GRX7 likes this.
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Liked
    155 times

In my experience... Cheap always means that I am paying a little less now, but it will cost me a lot more in the long run....

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by walwal44 View Post
    I am wanting to get into track racing and am wondering what is a good car to start out with on a tight budget? I am in college, so my budget to buy a car is around $5,000. I have looked at 1999-2005 BMW 3-series coupes but they are just a little out of my price range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I know of a log booked SCCA T4 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V for sale. Kirk bolt-in cage, Sparco seat, quick release steering wheel, window net, tow straps, comes with two sets of stock wheels, at least two useable sets of tires (BFG R1 and Yokohama A048), spare brake pads. Was a Showroom Stock C car, converted to T4 a few years back, got a DC header, CAI, Koni shocks, Eibach springs. Current engine has about six races on it - the original died due to a pre-cat failure (common on street driven Spec Vs) - the DC header eliminates that possibility from happening again. Super easy to drive, great car to start in, has ABS brakes, LSD, just put gas in it and go. Ready to run. $3500

t4sentra.jpg
    bellwilliam and redtopz like this.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
    Are you trying to do TRACK DAYS or are you trying to do RACING? Because they are two very different things (especially when it comes to budget). The title of your thread versus the content make that unclear.

Though my suggestion is buy a Ninja 250 and race that. You can be out racing for a couple thousand bucks against 20+ other people and the weekend costs are as cheap as racing gets. No racing is for poor people, but car racing is especially not for poor people.

Be sure to read the STICKY at the top of this forum re costs of club RACING before you decide to go down that path. The cost of the vehicle is the tip of a very large iceberg.

If all you want to do is TRACK DAYS, then buy a street-legal Miata that you can drive to and from the track and go have fun (until you realize it gets boring and want to go RACING ).
    while im still in school I just want to do track days but once I get out of school who knows hat will happen.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJason99 View Post
    I know of a log booked SCCA T4 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V for sale. Kirk bolt-in cage, Sparco seat, quick release steering wheel, window net, tow straps, comes with two sets of stock wheels, at least two useable sets of tires (BFG R1 and Yokohama A048), spare brake pads. Was a Showroom Stock C car, converted to T4 a few years back, got a DC header, CAI, Koni shocks, Eibach springs. Current engine has about six races on it - the original died due to a pre-cat failure (common on street driven Spec Vs) - the DC header eliminates that possibility from happening again. Super easy to drive, great car to start in, has ABS brakes, LSD, just put gas in it and go. Ready to run. $3500

Attachment 8766
    my uncle has been racing sentras for about 10 years now and he loves them I may have to look into it.

Liked
    2 times

I'm in a similar boat, final year of my engineering degree; was in talks of getting a half cage for track events but then thanks to New Zealand's regulations with regards to modifications for seats, harnesses and roll protection this happened:

22289_910912678952640_3095303652517036840_n.jpg

Didn't want to pay double for the relevant paper work and eventual extra work to convert to a full cage later; hence the big jump.
    Good luck with whichever route you take, but I would listen to those who are way more experienced here. There is plenty of knowledge floating around.

Liked
    60 times

Quote Originally Posted by walwal44 View Post
    while im still in school I just want to do track days but once I get out of school who knows hat will happen.
    Then just buy a lightly prepped Miata (roll bar, etc) that you can still drive to and from the track. Having a street legal car saves a lot of time and hassle over having to trailer. Plus if you ever need work done in the car (such as an alignment) it's a lot easier to hop in and just drive there.

If and when you decide in a few years time that you want to take the plunge racing, then worry about buying a true race prepped car. You'll be able to sell the Miata for what you paid for it.
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Liked
    751 times

Not to promote another site, but browse around on racing junk dot com. I have seen a few caged, prepped cars selling for near $5k with logs.

The least expensive way to get into a prepped, track-ready car is to buy someone else's.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    140 times

Also how about this site Adam has a nice collection of car to get an idea....

Fast In Fast Out - For Car Nuts and Racing Junkies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2