Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By anorexicpoodle
  • 1 Post By F@ck
  • 2 Post By sebring27
  • 1 Post By b3d3g1
  • 2 Post By illwillem
  • 1 Post By Terrasmak

Thread: Car Shipping Company Recommendations?

Liked
    53 times

Default Car Shipping Company Recommendations?

Not sure where to put this post so please move if necessary.

I just bought a car that is most of the way across the country and am looking at having it shipped. Does anyone have an automotive transport company they recommend? First car I have had shipped and a bit nervous since I have heard some horror stories. Thanks.

Liked
    693 times

Try DAP-dependable auto transporters. Big company and they always offer a few price options depending on the transport time.
    I use independent dispatches, but it is a little tricky and sometimes nerve wrecking.
    jnathan68 likes this.

Liked
    158 times

I have had excellent luck with Jill at Open Road Shipping Services

Openroadshipping
    jnathan68 likes this.

Liked
    51 times

I used this woman to ship my S2K. $700 open trailer TX to CA.

I was quoted 7-10 days and got it in 4. YMMV.

MALIA McCLAIN
    Direct 360-853-2806

AUTO SHIPPING GROUP, INC
    1700 Main Street
    Washougal, WA 98671
    Main Office 360-853-2809

www.autoshipppinggroup.com

Transport Reviews.com - Error On Page 5 STAR RATED

Auto Shipping Group Inc. - 5 Stars out of 5 - Transport Reviews.com - Your Auto Transport Information Source. View Reviews, Ratings and Rankings of Auto Transporters.

BBB RATED “A+”

Auto Shipping Group Inc Business Review in Washougal, WA - Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington BBB

Most of these places are brokers.

The company that accepted the bid to move the car was:

FHT Auto Transport Inc.
    Carrier 23101 Moulton Parkway # 208
    Laguna Hills, CA 92653

Owner/Manager: Arman 949-394-1484, 949-394-9697
    Preferred Contact Method: Any
    Main Phone: 949-916-4910
    Local Phone: (949) 916-4910 ,
    Fax Number: (949) 242-5207
    Hours: M-F 8a-5p, Sat 8-11a PST
    Email: Click to Send Email
    Web Site: FHT Auto Transport
    Operating Authority and Document Packet (Authority, Insurance, W-9, etc.)
    ICC-MC#: 371183

Liked
    16 times

I just shipped a 911 and Avalanche from Irvine to Florida-$1700.
    All went well and arrived in 3 days. I just picked the first company on Google. I thought whoever ships them the worry would be the same
    The company I used was called Webster. Got a feeling all companies have both horror stories and recommendations. I befriended the two drivers and just hoped they would take care and they did !
    2GRX7 and jnathan68 like this.

Liked
    450 times

I have a little bit of experience with shipping cars with work and it basically all comes down to a reliable person to access the trucking network. They use a common network to coordinate trucks traveling from one area to another and the driver really isn't assigned until a week or so before it happens. You can filter down to your choices by requiring a closed shipper or needing it in certain time period. If you just want cheapest rate for a single car, you can expect anything from an open semi car hauler to a 3500 HD diesel with a 3 car trailer. Some companies might have a premium whole fleet of double stacker enclosed semis but many only have 1 or 2 trucks and a network of preferred drivers they reach out when they have a job. I think most go through the trucking network if they don't have any immediate matches, especially if you are looking for the cheapest rate.

It's also possible I'm totally full of ****. Most of the time, I've had to go through a "preferred" shipper that usually charge a hefty premium but show up with their own truck when you want them to.
    jnathan68 likes this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

Liked
    977 times

I just shipped a racecar from VA to CA using Sunday Auto Transport. Very smooth and the driver was awesome.

Liked
    53 times

Thanks for all the recommendations. Yes, seems like there are lots of companies doing it just so tough to know which ones to trust.

Liked
    61 times

I went through this debacle myself when shipping a new racecar down from Idaho to Los Angeles. it took over 4 weeks to get picked up and I had to change shippers twice and get angry along the way.

Things I learned:

1. 89% of the places you call are shipping call centers, they take you're money and electronically post your job request on an electronic billboard, Every one uses this bill board, its not unique to one or the other place you're shopping around too.

2. Auto freight companies determine their capacities and see if they can fill any empty spots on their trucks and they use this bulletin board to do so.. Their 3 criteria they use too see if its "worth it" are. 1.) distance to pick up from current location 2.) Distance to drop off and the deviation it will require from their current load route (read: time) 3) How much compensation is being offered.

Compensation amount will trump 1 and 2 above. Offer a lot out of the gate people will come around. This is why when you call a freight arranger they will ask YOU how much you wanna pay. (umm as little as possible) If you are shipping from or near a hub, say Atlanta, Huston, Jersey etc the magic $$$ number to garner interest from the auto truckers can be considerably lower than if you were in the out lier states or on the other side of a mountain pass during winter months. You just gotta gauge this number using common sense. To ballpark $800 will be a tuff sell to make anything move from anywhere, $1100 is warmer especially if you're fortunate enough to be near a hub and 1500-2000 seemed to me to be where people started to care. (didn't mean it actually got anyone to pick it up in my case)

3. If you book with an agency that just posts your job it doesn't mean you car is actually going to get picked up. They dont tell you this. They will tell you '1-4 weeks' you happily pay the deposit or even the full amount and wait. In reality they are letting your job ride on the e-board to see if they'll be any takers, they'll let 4 weeks go by before calling you and telling you that there is no one interested; all the while you assumed that theres people actively working to get you your car with in this time frame. Whats more is Most of the 'dispatchers' dont have any actual contact with the truckers that move the vehicles. They are simply call center slime that are getting commission on posting jobs. The other side of that is you don't actually know who is shipping your car, and if they are insured ect. After reading into this i have heard horror stories galore. Especially with lowered vehicles. MOST TRUCKS CANT SHIP LOWERED RACE CARS. You cant get a straight answer on timeline much, much less if the truck thats actually gunna show up can accommodate the job... and likely if he drove 6 hours out of his way hes gunna "make it fit". be warned.

After much hassle for myself and they poor guy I bought the car from,--- He even trailered the car 3 hours away into a main city to meet a trucker that never showed. I ended up going with a place Alpine transport inc ™ - The Dependable Auto Transporters | They ran their jobs a little differently I spoke to the owner and was explained too that he controls the truckers and has contact with them personally so hes able to tell you directly if what your asking for is going to work or not. It wasn't cheap, about $2500 IIRC but after the weeks and aggravation of everything else id dealt with it was worth it for the piece of mind.

Its a f*&@#*&@%# pain . GOODLUCK
    Last edited by illwillem; 02-17-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    robburgoon and JulioG like this.

Liked
    0 times

I transported my BMW M coupe from Dallas to Orlando with All Day Auto Transport. I spoke with the owner Justin and he had my baby picked up the day after speaking with him. I heard a ton of horror stories too about auto shipping and I was really happy with how smooth this was. I had a contract in writing of the price and dates of pick up and delivery and everything went smooth. Call Justin at 754-229-2422 , this guys the owner . How much does it cost to ship a car | All Day Auto Transport

Liked
    16 times

Motoshippers they used to be Hunnington Hauling.
    jnathan68 likes this.

Liked
    277 times

I used Intercity Lines several years back to transport a BMW from Massachusetts to SoCal. This was an enclosed trailer. Not cheap but they did a great job. I recommend them.

As an aside, what are TrackHQs thoughts on open transport of race cars that don't have side windows? Just seal up the windows as best you can and hope for the best? I'm mostly concerned about theft, vandalism, and exposure to the elements (including snow).

+ Reply to Thread