+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: CAR SETUP SUGGESTIONS - watch video

Liked
    10 times

Default CAR SETUP SUGGESTIONS - watch video

alright.. so I have a FF Honda. Built it to handle, but nothing special in the HP department. I know the range I should be based on previous events and other comparable cars. I recently went to Buttonwillow and got a quick reality check on my driving.
    I understand it takes time to to get a track wired, but I was far off my target time. I'm aware of a few of mistakes that will shave a few more seconds, maybe 3 or 4. but not 7, which I was hoping for. I see videos of others on street tires shredding my corner speeds that I am spinning out on with race compounds. Comparable vehicles can hit the same turn I spin out on 10mph faster. Some car specs are in video description.

Check this video to critique.. be honest, a know-it-all, or an ass hole.. just looking for suggestions on car setup (ex. dampening, sway bars, camber/tow)
    P.S. this is also the first run using a homemade splitter; lasted all of 2.5 laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj5hg...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ucfbrett; 01-05-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Liked
    32 times

whats your car set up now?
    whats your alignment specs?
    how confident are you on street tires to jump to RA1s?

I'm not the most knowledgeable in set ups/ this track... but i know its not that easy to just suggest you to set up your car a certain way. One set up for one person can be amazing but then when you try it, it will suck. Driving style also changes set ups. What did you feel you needed to do? how is your car acting?

it looked like you could have tracked out further on club corner

Liked
    10 times

225/45 15, 37 degree hot temp. tires are worn but feel great when warm. was second lap but doubt were still cold.. 3 degree camber.
    was smashing that inside curb in previous laps, which you would think would be squirlier, but this one was actually like 5mph faster than others. This track is known to struggle for traction in areas but this felt smooth! and to see others hit it 10mph faster no problem makes me wonder.
    Rear end just gets a little loose occasionally which makes me think something is too stiff.. shocks are on 3 of 5 in rear, sway bar links may be on the stiffest setting..
    Last edited by crany; 01-04-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Liked
    2282 times

not knowing your suspension setup, I am guessing here.
    not every car can hit that curb (just prior to your spin) - depending on suspension setup. I've had 2 Miatas, one (Spec Miata suspension but lowered than optimal for curbing but faster overall) would spin the car if I hit that curb, another Miata (with XIDA) will drive straight through it like it isn't there.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    42 times

What kind of coilovers/dampers? Spring rates? Sway bar sizing? You provide no pertinent information in your suspension department.

I'm with azngotmilk; looks to me that you're not often using the whole track, something that I do as well. Instead of increasing corner speed and letting the car naturally drift to track out, you "unnaturally" unwind the steering to guide the car to track out. You did this at Horsethief (watched one of your other videos) too.

Liked
    981 times

I like the beginning of your vid . It's hard to tell from the vid, but after watching the spin about 10 times, it seems like the berm may not be completely to blame. It seems possible that you started losing rear traction just before the berm when you briefly lifted off the gas and then completely lost it going over the berm. It's better to make small steering corrections early rather than large corrections later. For example, you may have needed to make a slight steering correction just before the berm to prevent the spin.

As far as setup is concerned, I would start by loosening your rear sway bar if you are having trouble with rear grip. It also might not hurt to soften the shock compression settings, especially at bumpywillow.

Liked
    1429 times

Didn't you lift, and then the car oversteered, hit a bump, then oversteered a lot?

I don't know how to set up a FF car, but you might be stuck with that if you want your car to turn. Check suspension travel and stiffness too. You might have your car a little hard for buttonwillow.

Edit: What Bill just said

Liked
    2242 times

Quote Originally Posted by crany View Post
    alright.. so I have a FF Honda. Built it to handle, but nothing special in the HP department. I know the range I should be based on previous events and other comparable cars. I recently went to Buttonwillow and got a quick reality check on my driving.
    I understand it takes time to to get a track wired, but I was far off my target time. I'm aware of a few of mistakes that will shave a few more seconds, maybe 3 or 4. but not 7, which I was hoping for. I see videos of others on street tires shredding my corner speeds that I am spinning out on with race compounds. Comparable vehicles can hit the same turn I spin out on 10mph faster. Some car specs are in video description.

Check this video to critique.. be honest, a know-it-all, or an ass hole.. just looking for suggestions on car setup (ex. dampening, sway bars, camber/tow)
    P.S. this is also the first run using a homemade splitter; lasted all of 2.5 laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj5hg...ature=youtu.be
    Welcome to TrackHQ. There is a lot of collective knowledge on tap here, so I hope this thread helps you.

I don't know much about Hondas or front-wheel drive setups, so I hope someone who owns a similar car can help. As others have mentioned, you should provide more information about your current setup so someone can make valid suggestions. I'm sure everyone would be interested in what kind of brakes you have.

First, thinking you can go to Buttonwillow and shave 7 seconds in one day is unrealistic. You might be able to do that on your first day at Buttonwillow, but it seems to me that quicker lap times occur more incrementally than in large chunks as you gain experience.

Just looking at your technique, a couple of things strike me:

Regarding the spin, it looks like you turned in a bit early, took a lot of curb and didn't track out enough.
    Others might disagree, but it looks like you were braking on the curbing into Sunrise, which can upset the car and cause a spin because of the difference in grip from blacktop to painted curb. Maybe not now, but as you get faster, it becomes more likely.
    Keep your hands at 9 and 3 on the wheel. There is no reason to move them on a road course.

I have found Buttonwillow to be a very humbling track, and after four years of going there, it is finally beginning to come to me. I still have much room for improvement, but my point is that seat time on that track is at least as valuable as setup info. Billy Johnson wrote a great set of turn-by-turn instructions for CW #13. Link below:

Turn by turn guide to the Buttonwillow R - Trackpedia

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

I dont have experience with FWD either but overall i agree with Bill, Rob and Brett on why you lost it. I also agree with Brett regarding your hands and your lap time input. Youre moving your hands around way too much. Work on keeping your hands at 9/3 and leave them there. You also lifted your right hand really early and went for the shift knob once you lost it. No reason to do that. As far as setup suggestions, the FWD guys, or someone who has overall setup experience, will need more info about your details.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    299 times

+5 to what everyone else said regarding hand positions, tracking out, lifting prior to apex. Make sure to do your shift then get back onto your steering wheel. You want both hands on the wheel as much as you can. I also noticed that BEFORE you turned in into clubcorner, you had a very slight left steering input then a pretty quick firm right turn steering input. Doing that + that slight lift without steering correction + hitting that berm + maybe your rear end is too stiff contributed to the spin. There was enough weight shift/transfer to cause it to oversteer before you even got to the apex. Hitting the apex without tracking out pretty much insured a spin.

I say soften the rear sway bar. Try to get some more traction to the rear. Don't do like 20 different changes all at once. Do 1 or 2 things and see what the car does and how it reacts and then adjust accordingly little by little. It didnt look like you exceeded the slip angle of the Rcomp, although they do have less allowable slip angle versus a street tire.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    103 times

whats FWD?

Liked
    71 times

Toe settings??

Liked
    70 times

fun wheel drive
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    23 times

maybe there was dirt on the ground? I didnt really see anything wrong with the video. What is your suspension set up?
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked
    165 times

Have you tried jabbing at the throttle pedal as you approach the apex?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    whats FWD?
    It's what an Evo has.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    103 times

^gotcha

Liked
    143 times

Is it the shape of the car or does it look like ride height is lower front than rear?
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    299 times

lmao at Jeff's response. Well played sir.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

83 mph through there on old RA-1's with no wing is a reasonable speed, methinks.

That's fast enough to be considered an aero turn. I suggest your next steps should be to fix the front aero, get a decent wing on the thing and then retest it before working out what else needs to be done.

What are you using for a lap timer/logger, btw?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast