+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: A Car Salesman's Inside Earnings Report

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    Where do you go for repair or service? What if there is a recall.
    Tesla have Service Centers..I believe there are 3 in LA area.
    btw, their service centers floor are spotless..........then I realized there is no oil drips or fuel spill.........
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    It's overvalued . . .
    that's what they (short sellers) say when the stock was at $20
    Richard EVO likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    that's what they (short sellers) say when the stock was at $20
    Good point. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

If anybody here doesn't know what a "short seller" is, it is an investor who bets that a stock will go down. "Long" buyers purchase the stock, and the most they can possibly lose is 100% of their original investment, if the company that they bought stock in goes bankrupt. I buy Tesla stock for $20 per share and it goes bankrupt, so the stock price goes to virtually $0. I lose $20 per share.

Short sellers, on the other hand, have UNLIMITED liability. If I sold Tesla stock short for $20 per share, and the price goes up to $1,000 per share, I just lost $980 per share.

P.S. I wish I sold Fisker stock short when they were the talk of the town about 3 years ago . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-18-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    1. Tesla do not have a "driveshaft" to break.
    2. You call your driveshaft repair in couple of days like it is an awesome thing. my Tesla had its engine replaced (known issue, motor makes a humming noise). shop rate is 3 hours.
    3. like John_Evo said: most recall and fixes are done on 3G................no, car doesn't have to go to dealer
    4. I've owned the Tesla in 1.5 year. I haven't give a cent to Tesla service center. There is a so called annual "service" (they don't do much, as brake don't wear in an EV, no fluid to check, no filter to swap, tire rotation is the only thing they do really). but you don't need to have it done to keep your warranty.
    You miss my point. It's not about the car. It's about the direct service being bad if other car companies follow the Tesla sales model.

My broken driveshaft was not a warranty covered item. It broke on the track and I was prepared to pay to fix it. The dealer worked as an intermediary to get it fixed for free. If I had to ask BMW directly they would told me to go pound.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    366 times

Today I learned Tesla is the Apple of the motoring world.
    bellwilliam, JJ1 and F@ck like this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    0 times

Dammit, I come in to comment on the dealerships and leave wanting a tesla!

In all honesty, tesla has been on my mind for a while, maybe it's time to make the plunge and benefit some of our share holding members on here!

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post

. . .Short sellers, on the other hand, have UNLIMITED liability. If I sold Tesla stock short for $20 per share, and the price goes up to $1,000 per share, I just lost $980 per share.
    Actually, not true except in cases of extreme ignorance.

If you are foolish enough to engage in short selling, which you clearly are not, you can/should always buy stops or stop limits.

Fortunately, there are general rules that apply to where they should be placed:

1. You can place them just above the point where (you think) a stock may have trouble moving higher, or simply where you want to minimize your loss.

2. More conservatively, you can arbitrarily place them about 10-15% above the price where you initiated the short sale.

Regardless, short selling implies that you know more than hundreds and hundreds of very astute money managers with superior informational access to markets and individual firms - a very dubious and highly hubristic thought.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 09-19-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    Olitho and tq3z like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2