Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: A Car Salesman's Inside Earnings Report

Liked
    854 times

Default A Car Salesman's Inside Earnings Report

Liked
    439 times

No offense to anyone, but I think that most people in this line of work are people who have found it difficult to find or keep more "traditional" employment. I know this because I have a son-in-law who is a car salesman LOL
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    641 times

And they still treat us like mentally challenged-"Dealersip lost $6999 on that sale" Of the MSRP perhaps,but that still leaves thosuands of $$$ as a profit for the dealer.

Liked
    1477 times

I don't think we really need car salesmen anymore, what with websites that allow you to design and purchase the exact car you want on-line at the "best" price.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    34 times

Drop ship the car to me on Amazon Prime.

Isn't Tesla trying to do away with dealerships nowadays? Stores in malls and etc.

Liked
    2243 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I don't think we really need car salesmen anymore, what with websites that allow you to design and purchase the exact car you want on-line at the "best" price.
    That's probably true. Most new-car buyers have done so much research on the Internet by the time time they arrive in the showroom, that they really don't need their hands held by a salesperson. They know what they want and what they should pay.

And yet it makes me a little sad. I worked my way through college as a parts guy in a GM dealership. Dealership jobs, whether they are in sales or parts and service, are important to the community. They pay decent wages and let people who perhaps didn't go to college to work in a professional environment surrounded by the coolest manufactured goods on the planet. Car dealerships also typically pay the lion's share of the sales taxes in a given city, which is why every town wants an "auto mall."

Liked
    143 times

You can't test drive a car on the internet. The salesmanship job is to close the sale not help us buy a car.
    tq3z likes this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    51 times

I worked in a dealership for a few years (in the service dept.) and it was known that the new car sales part of the dealership was not a money maker. The money came from finance, used cars and service.
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    You can't test drive a car on the internet. The salesmanship job is to close the sale not help us buy a car.
    This
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by comradefks View Post
    Isn't Tesla trying to do away with dealerships nowadays? Stores in malls and etc.
    Tesla is currently banned from selling cars in Texas, Massachusetts (though Tesla just won a court case), North Carolina (Tesla won last year), New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland, I am pretty sure I missed a few others.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-18-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Tesla is currently banned from selling cars in Texas, Massachusetts (though Tesla just won a court case), North Carolina (Tesla won last year), New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland, I am pretty sure I missed a few others.
    Why?
    Do you understand?

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Why?
    Read,son
    ucfbrett and F@ck like this.

Liked
    143 times

The laws in those states are written to prevent direct competition between private dealerships and manufacture owned dealership.

Tesla is the only direct to public manufacturer. Dealers are afraid other companies will follow and sell direct. However I think the Tessa direct sales route is flawed. A car is a microwave or tv. Where do you go for repair or service? What if there is a recall.

I broke the driveshaft on my m3 at acs a few years ago. My dealer sent a tow truck to the track took my car back to the dealership and fixed it under warranty in a couple of days. Good luck getting than done with a Tesla.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    76 times

Tesla is a bit different, as they do regular downloads and are constantly data aquisitioning the car via satellite. They actually send techs to your house to do repairs if needed. Kind of convent if you ask me. I'm sure not everyone likes this, but I'm biased.

Disclosure: I own Tesla stock.
    bellwilliam and redtopz like this.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    977 times

Tesla is the only direct to public manufacturer. Dealers are afraid other companies will follow and sell direct. However I think the Tessa direct sales route is flawed. A car is a microwave or tv. Where do you go for repair or service? What if there is a recall.
    Huh, why wouldn't the Tesla-owned dealership be able to do this? Why does it matter whether its owned by the manufacturer or a franchisee? Arguably it should be many more times as efficient if the manufacturer is doing it directly, as there is another profit-sucking link in the chain removed.
    redtopz and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    Disclosure: I own Tesla stock.
    It's overvalued . . .
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

Several years ago I lived in Southern OR where jobs in my field of training were few and far between. I had been working at a Starbucks because I needed a job, had good benefits and I love coffee but the pay sucked. I went to one of the large dealerships to try for a job as a salesman, had to take several tests including some type of personality test and was then interviewed. I don't remember if it was while I was waiting for the first or second interview, I sat and watched the other salesmen milling about and just thought I didn't want to work with these guys. When I was offered the job, I politely declined and walked out. I went on to work at a bicycle shop for several years where I probably made 1/4 of what I would have made selling cars. I still think it was a good decision.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    51 times

That job pays **** because it's not a real sales job. Working retail and calling yourself a salesperson is a bit of a stretch. The sales jobs that pay skrill are the ones that include prospecting. Retail is sit, wait and pounce.

Liked
    76 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    It's overvalued . . .
    Everything is over valued thanks to money printers over at the Fed.
    slodrew likes this.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    2282 times

I broke the driveshaft on my m3 at acs a few years ago. My dealer sent a tow truck to the track took my car back to the dealership and fixed it under warranty in a couple of days. Good luck getting than done with a Tesla.
    1. Tesla do not have a "driveshaft" to break.
    2. You call your driveshaft repair in couple of days like it is an awesome thing. my Tesla had its engine replaced (known issue, motor makes a humming noise). shop rate is 3 hours.
    3. like John_Evo said: most recall and fixes are done on 3G................no, car doesn't have to go to dealer
    4. I've owned the Tesla in 1.5 year. I haven't give a cent to Tesla service center. There is a so called annual "service" (they don't do much, as brake don't wear in an EV, no fluid to check, no filter to swap, tire rotation is the only thing they do really). but you don't need to have it done to keep your warranty.
    bawareca likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast