+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The car gods are against me.....

Liked
    15 times

Default The car gods are against me.....

The lotus was in need of some TLC after Cali Speedway and its been nothing but a MAJOR PITA.

to sum thing up:

-I drop of car at dealer with Motul 600 and 5w40 to flush the brakes, oil change, diagnose and fix my cooling issue, reattach my missiong dead pedal(again), and a few other things...

-While the car is at the shop I call AIM Tires to order new RA1s. I argue with the guy for 15 minutes when he tells me that they don't make 225/45/15's even though I'm staring at my tire and reminding them that I ordered my current tires from them 6 months ago(he is 100% convinced they ONLY have 225/50/15s and they can't even get the 45 series because they dont exist)....finally he realizes they are a newer model, oops, order placed shaved to 6/32nds

- I go to pick up the car yesterday and almost crash driving out of the parking lot cause the brake pedal goes to the floor, they tell me they test drove it and still gave it to me this way. They rebleed and test drive. Tech comes back and tells me they are "perfect." Sure enough they still SUCK but the car at least stops(there is a lot more to this but I am just giving bullet points)

- On the drive home the car temps ranges between 192-210!!! WTF, thats way warmer than before for cruising down PCH in 7pm traffic at 40 mph.

- Stare at a greasy handprint on the windshield the entire way home right infront of my face.

- Today I'm excited when the tires come in, toss them into my truck to take to the tire shop and realize something doesn't look right. Sure enough the rears are correct but the front are the damn 225/50/15s that we were arguing about. After all that they still send the wrong damn tires.

What is with this week?!? waiting for replacement tires now, and will be taking care of the service and the brakes on the Lotus myself now. JOY!

/rant

I need a track day soon.
    Last edited by zjchaser; 08-14-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Liked
    0 times

This is reason #1 why I don't trust anyone but myself with brake fluid. I even do it the old school wway with having a friend pump the gas pedal. I'm glad nothing worse happened because of that.

I feel your pain with the cooling issues. I still can't get mine sorted.

Good luck on getting rid of the bad luck.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    2 times

wow! god hates u dearly

Liked
    0 times

Default i thought i had bad luck

Should have ordered tires through 949racing. He knows 225/45/15s exist.

Overheating? Is there a bubble in the cooling system? I'm just guessing based on my MR2 history.

The brake fluid issue is just plain incompetence.

Liked
    1 times

Wow, I would expect better of a Lotus tech, but this is why I maintain my own track car. The Tacoma gets dealer serviced for everything but oil changes though.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by 310_JeFF View Post

Overheating? Is there a bubble in the cooling system? I'm just guessing based on my MR2 history.

yes 949 has em! tons of em! ra1 of that size is 147 mounted and balanced. if you go pick up from them, make sure you have 5 dollars of loose change to pay the toll booth
    Last edited by zjchaser; 08-15-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Liked
    15 times

well damn 949 racing is 5 minutes from me and they can shave them. Might go over there to have them mounted since they might be used to working on lowered cars

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by 310_JeFF View Post

There may be a bubble in the system...going to flush the entire thing. Brakes I'll take care of bleeding myself.

I never knew that shop existed and they are very close to me.

Liked
    2249 times

I got my NT01 225/45-15 from 949racing. Emilio is great to deal with.

Liked
    2 times

emilio does cornerbalancing and allignments too
    Last edited by zjchaser; 08-16-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    I feel your pain with the cooling issues. I still can't get mine sorted.
    John, I have your cooling issues figured out... Go back to air cooled!

Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I got my NT01 225/45-15 from 949racing. Emilio is great to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenchi View Post
    emilio does cornerbalancing and allignments too
    Very cool...now if NT01s only came in a 245/45/16 for my rears I would switch to them from the RA1s. YAY.. a local alignment shop..good to know. I finally got the correct tires today so I'm going to pay 949 racing a visit for mounting and balancing and just to say hi tomorrow.

Took some time to make the car look pretty today to make me a little happier about everything...first time using the zaino system...wash, clay bar, two different polishes...DAMN! That thing is glassy...gotta be worth a few seconds around the track for reduced drag

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser View Post
    Took some time to make the car look pretty today to make me a little happier about everything...first time using the zaino system...wash, clay bar, two different polishes...DAMN! That thing is glassy...gotta be worth a few seconds around the track for reduced drag
    I think your car definitely needed that, haha. It won't stay like that for too long as we track junkies know all too well. But it sure its a treat to see a clean car once in awhile.

BTW, I have a small trick to get a really firm pedal on the lotus. Do a two person bleed with the engine running. This will utilize the power brake booster to shoot out all the air and pressurize the brake system slightly for a firmer pedal feel, given that you don't have any air in the ABS unit.

If you are flushing / bleeding your cooling system yourself, please keep me posted on how the procedure goes. i.e. where the bleed valves are and which valve to bleed first,etc. per my conversation with Steve at SCC today, I should be getting my car back this friday. Hopefully. They got my hopes up before. so, we'll see. Anyways, I like to flush my cooling system too when I get the car back.

Liked
    15 times

Emilio just said he doesn't do mounting an balancing or any work on the cars..mainly just internet sailes...recomended me to the Allen Tires down the street from him.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post

BTW, I have a small trick to get a really firm pedal on the lotus. Do a two person bleed with the engine running. This will utilize the power brake booster to shoot out all the air and pressurize the brake system slightly for a firmer pedal feel, given that you don't have any air in the ABS unit.
    Hot damn! Have you tried that on any other cars??? Man I'm gonna give that a shot. I have a nice firm pedal with each and every bleed...until I start the car...I think I'd rather try this rather than chuck out money for brass caliper bushings.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2334 times

Default tire mounting

Sorry I didn't have time to do the tire mounting and balancing for you. Unlike a regular retail tire store, it's just me and there is no real profit margin in tires. So I actually lose money if I take the time to mount them myself. Wish that wasn't the case because I actually like doing it!

For the special track wheel I make, I'll mount and balance tires of course. The bulk of them get shipped out all over the country so I don't often lay hands on customer cars. Maybe down the road when I can hire a helper I'll be able to do full race tire service out of the shop along with the alignments and cornerweighting I'm starting to do.

There's a chance I'll get hooked directly into Nitto and bypass the distributor. If that happens, I'll be able to do full service a lot sooner.

sorry for the drift

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Hey Emilio, welcome to the forum!
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Sorry I didn't have time to do the tire mounting and balancing for you. Unlike a regular retail tire store, it's just me and there is no real profit margin in tires. So I actually lose money if I take the time to mount them myself. Wish that wasn't the case because I actually like doing it!

For the special track wheel I make, I'll mount and balance tires of course. The bulk of them get shipped out all over the country so I don't often lay hands on customer cars. Maybe down the road when I can hire a helper I'll be able to do full race tire service out of the shop along with the alignments and cornerweighting I'm starting to do.

There's a chance I'll get hooked directly into Nitto and bypass the distributor. If that happens, I'll be able to do full service a lot sooner.

sorry for the drift
    Welcome to the forum man!

No problem I understand. I just got my hopes up because I live in Laguna Hills right down the street and its a pain finding anyone around here that knows what they are doing. I'll order my next RA1s from you and if they ever come out with a 245/45/16 NT01 then I want to try those.

Good luck with the Nitto connections.
    Last edited by zjchaser; 08-18-2007 at 03:05 AM.

Liked
    1 times

Welcome to the forum Emilio, your wheels kick ass.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    This is reason #1 why I don't trust anyone but myself with brake fluid. I even do it the old school wway with having a friend pump the gas pedal. I'm glad nothing worse happened because of that.
    Whats pumping the gas pedal do?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast