+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: which car always had high resale value ? what makes it has high resale ?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Gt3 rs. Gt3 4.0

Liked
    38 times

Toyota Tacomas are available for under MSRP new but list used near MSRP... I don't understand that one...

Initial D/drift craze shot up the values of a lot of cars I owned.

Example: I bought a $850 Turbo 2 Rx-7 in college that served daily and track duties for a few years. (At Thunderhill within a week of purchase). Can't seem to find sporty cars for not much $$$ anymore.

I think people will figure out the utility and fun of the 996 (it really is a much more capable car than the 993) but I am not holding my breath for values to go up.
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    I think people will figure out the utility and fun of the 996 (it really is a much more capable car than the 993) but I am not holding my breath for values to go up.
    Think: Intermediate Shaft Bearing . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    Toyota Tacomas are available for under MSRP new but list used near MSRP... I don't understand that one...

Initial D/drift craze shot up the values of a lot of cars I owned.

Example: I bought a $850 Turbo 2 Rx-7 in college that served daily and track duties for a few years. (At Thunderhill within a week of purchase). Can't seem to find sporty cars for not much $$$ anymore.

The 996 turbo is a great bang for buck, but not a great track car, IMHO. I was able to pick mine up with 14000 miles for $32k. This was around July of 2012. I figure it's a matter of time before the 996 depreciates out and starts climbing. Richard is right about the non-Metzger motor'd 996s. The ISB issues definitely hurt the value of an otherwise great car.

Liked
    1477 times

In 1978, I bought my first "classic sports car" project. A 1962 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II (early version with triple carbs and side curtains). It ran, but needed a lot of work and a paint job. Over the next couple of years I got that work done. I originally paid $2,500 for my Healey.

So here is my great regret in a lifetime of sports car ownership. When I was shopping for the Austin-Healey, I came across a 1965 Aston Martin DB5 at a used car dealership. This was the same model as the James Bond car from Goldfinger (or was it Dr. No?). The price was $5,000-, and it appeared that the only thing wrong with it was a missing window in the driver's door that was going to be difficult to find, and might have to be fabricated. I didn't have the money for the DB5, so I passed it up and bought the Healey. I wonder what that DB5 would be worth today? Answer from Haggerty = $744,000-. Oy vey . . .

Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-30-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    bawareca likes this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Think: Intermediate Shaft Bearing . . .
    IMS bearing update, RMS and clutch is about 3k parts and labor. My car was 25k and had all that done and some within the last 4k miles. Its been talked up so much that its easy to find cars that have had the bearing already replaced.

Liked
    14 times

In regards to modern cars the GT3RS 4.0 seems to have appreciated the most. Most are still under warranty and going for 100k+ over sticker. I've even heard of one particular 4.0 where an offer of 200k over sticker was turned down. Pretty insane how much Porsche values have risen across the board in the last few years.

BMW 1M's sold over sticker and are still over sticker.

Two of the best cars I've ever driven too!
    Last edited by 5:04; 10-01-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    JJ1 likes this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Blue & White Viper GTS & Viper ACRs. Other colors didn't hold their value.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by 5:04 View Post
    In regards to modern cars the GT3RS 4.0 seems to have appreciated the most. Most are still under warranty and going for 100k+ over sticker. I've even heard of one particular 4.0 where an offer of 200k over sticker was turned down. Pretty insane how much Porsche values have risen across the board in the last few years.

BMW 1M's sold over sticker and are still over sticker.

Two of the best cars I've ever driven too!
    question: how much is GT3RS 4.0 when new (how much over MSRP) ? and how much is it today ?
    how about 1M ?

my point is that if a car sold for 1 million over MSRP when new, today is selling at MSRP. that car still depreciated a lot.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Blue & White Viper GTS & Viper ACRs. Other colors didn't hold their value.
    really ? that's first I heard that color mattered much (obviously weird color will have problems)
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    742 times

Toyota Land Cruisers. Even with 200-300k+, they can fetch a decent bounty. The 4wd adventure scene swears by these.
    Yer pal,
    Force

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    really ? that's first I heard that color mattered much (obviously weird color will have problems)
    The blue with white stripe cars always held a premium over the other color GTSs.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    question: how much is GT3RS 4.0 when new (how much over MSRP) ? and how much is it today ?
    how about 1M ?

my point is that if a car sold for 1 million over MSRP when new, today is selling at MSRP. that car still depreciated a lot.
    IIRC, the 1m wasnt super popular when new. I think it was selling under MSRP. But now they are over 60k.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    IIRC, the 1m wasnt super popular when new. I think it was selling under MSRP. But now they are over 60k.
    no, I remember 1m at least $10k over MSRP.....it was an 1 year special....a ton of people wanted it.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    641 times

I believe all the 1M were pre-ordered and there was never any examples in the show rooms available to whoever wants it.

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post

So here is my great regret in a lifetime of sports car ownership. When I was shopping for the Austin-Healey, I came across a 1965 Aston Martin DB5 at a used car dealership. This was the same model as the James Bond car from Goldfinger (or was it Dr. No?). The price was $5,000-, and it appeared that the only thing wrong with it was a missing window in the driver's door that was going to be difficult to find, and might have to be fabricated. I didn't have the money for the DB5, so I passed it up and bought the Healey. I wonder what that DB5 would be worth today? Answer from Haggerty = $744,000-. Oy vey . . .
    Just so you don't feel like the only TrackHQ idiot I bought a 308 Ferrari instead of the Dino's with only 6 cylinders and not a real Ferrari when both were the same price! And I also passed on the Aston DB5 well under $10,000 and it still pain's me greatly. Additional stupidity was passing up buying at least 2 Ferrari racecars with race pedigree when I had no interest in racing and no one wanted a beat up Ferrari racecar. They were dirt cheap and I had the money just no where to keep the cars. Stupid Stupid and still Stupid today.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Just so you don't feel like the only TrackHQ idiot I bought a 308 Ferrari instead of the Dino's with only 6 cylinders and not a real Ferrari when both were the same price! And I also passed on the Aston DB5 well under $10,000 and it still pain's me greatly. Additional stupidity was passing up buying at least 2 Ferrari racecars with race pedigree when I had no interest in racing and no one wanted a beat up Ferrari racecar. They were dirt cheap and I had the money just no where to keep the cars. Stupid Stupid and still Stupid today.

Yes, but you are at the Runoffs next week and that is twice as smart!
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    366 times

Apparently Ford is bringing the GT back!

Future Ford GT First Look - Motor Trend

Maybe this will drive the older model prices down?
    Do you understand?

Liked
    0 times

Toyota Supra TT 6-speedss have great re-sale value. 1993's are still over $30k in decent condition

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Masonbrick View Post
    Toyota Supra TT 6-speedss have great re-sale value. 1993's are still over $30k in decent condition
    Nice car. What did it cost new?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast