+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: California track cars trending....S2K, Evo, Miata, STI, 86 to muscle cars

Liked
    89 times

All this fast domestic talk is making me want a street car again. Why are there two caged race cars in my garage right now? Driving a truck everyday is sure getting boring lol
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    99 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    All this fast domestic talk is making me want a street car again. Why are there two caged race cars in my garage right now? Driving a truck everyday is sure getting boring lol
    cost wise close to a lateral move, new car consumables/deprecation vs amateur racing.
    I'll stop racing when I have to
    or I'll start playing golf when I have to
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    89 times

Not quite sure what I was thinking, racing is way more fun HPDE. I think it’s just more about having a fun car to drive around on the street with versus tracking it.
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Liked
    4 times

Cars keep getting faster, but they are also much safer. You can see the gains in performance, but you don't see the improvements in safety.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    89 times

I would still rather crash on track in a caged race car with proper safety than any street car while on track.
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    I would still rather crash on track in a caged race car with proper safety than any street car while on track.
    Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Cars keep getting faster, but they are also much safer. You can see the gains in performance, but you don't see the improvements in safety.
    I'm with John! PLus a track is just setup to crash. No light poles, bridge piers etc. Cars are way safer today and the speed of them has increased. But the safety relative to legal speed limits is amazing. Today a 45mph crash delta which is about 50g's is survivable. That is really good.

It is us who are exceeding the legal street speed limits who are taking chances. That's why we should cage etc. But when the choice comes between stock modern OEM safety system vs. stock or partly stock like a race seat and a harness bar all bets are off. Those dual use systems are not engineered or tested in any way. We just think we are safer and sometimes we guessed right and sometimes we guessed wrong. That's why racecar safety systems take the guess work out by mandating certain features like sidenets, cage thickness etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2