+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: C8 "Zora" American Made Ferrari 458?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

A Ferrari 458 is a thing of beauty, probably Ferrari's best design since the F40 (which isn't as beautiful, but dripping of coolness).
    This will need to be a hell of a lot better looking to touch the Ferrari.

Liked
    150 times

It can also have better aero being mid engine. The radiator is vented. The hood is flat. Also without the a huge transmission tunnel they could probably make the bottom of the car flatter.

I think if GM really tried they could make this car 3000lbs with better hp than a C7 because of the shorter exhaust.

I would love to see what GM can do with this car. It's a new fresh platform. It is not constraint to resembling a previous model or pleasing an already existing fan base. If GM sticks to selling the best performance for the money then this car should be an amazing performance bargain.
    JJ1 and SDSUsnowboards like this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    I would love to see what GM can do with this car. It's a new fresh platform. It is not constraint to resembling a previous model or pleasing an already existing fan base. If GM sticks to selling the best performance for the money then this car should be an amazing performance bargain.
    It is interesting that you mention your objectives for the Corvette, not that your objectives are not laudable, but the Corvette engineers were given a different set of contraints than to build the best performance money can buy. While that is one of the constraints, from an article I read a while back, since the C4 model the engineers were given a price and weight constraint (that is not surprising) and I imagine a mileage objective. But they were given another really interesting constraint. The car needs to fit two grown men and two sets of golf clubs in the back hatch area.

Would a mid-engine allow for that? Is that needed for the current demographic Corvette seeks? Those are good questions as I know the C7 is targeted at being attractive to Gen X and Y buyers and in that regard they seem to be having some success.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1485 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    the Corvette engineers . . . were given another really interesting constraint. The car needs to fit two grown men and two sets of golf clubs in the back hatch area.
    That's why Corvette cars are much improved and great bang for the buck, high powered sports cars, but really can't overcome the competitors from Ferrari, Porsche, etc.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    609 times

One thing to consider (it's what Oli referred to, really) is that there are a lot more Corvettes in use as primary vehicles than 458's -- so they have to be more practical. That use case (where it's the 2nd car in the family, but a daily driver rather than the 3rd or 4th car) means the duty cycle is a lot tougher. So the car overall has to be more rugged.

Steve

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    You also got: 2 xtra bell housings, the tunnel constructed in the chassis to accommodate the torque tub and exhaust, and the exhaust tubing down the whole length of the car. A mid engine layout gives some of that lost weight back with the extra plumbing from running coolant and fluids to the front, where the airflow is.
    When I picked mine up I lifted the whole assembly with bell housings, the "prop" shaft, etc. That aluminum is surprisingly thin and strong. The only thing I did not include in that weight is the longer mid-pipes, but on the C5 Z06 those are titanium on the stock car so they don't weigh much either. I read they switched to a steel tube on the C7, but it only adds 15 lbs. In order to meet the mileage goals they had to add the GM AFM (or whatever they call it) the feature that shuts off four cylinders. Evidently that features adds some harmonics that tear up the aluminum or carbon fiber shafts. There are a lot of compromises meeting EPA, DOT, etc. mandates.

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    That's why Corvette cars are much improved and great bang for the buck, high powered sports cars, but really can't overcome the competitors from Ferrari, Porsche, etc.
    If I am not mistaken, the Corvette ZR1 has the Motor Trend track record of any production vehicle. They test at Laguna Seca with Randy Pobst as the driver. The ZR1 bested the Viper, and every other car they have tested including the 458, Lambo, GT-R and it still carries the golf bags.

Corvette ZR1 vs. Viper GTS: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Record Lap Time Analysis

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I do not think this is true at all. A modern corvette as a street car for streetcar can beat the competitors on just about every metric where the vette will be the obvious choice even if the vette was more expensive than GM list price. In the case of Ferrari and Lambo it is panache, exclusivity, style, flare, and emotion that sell Ferrari and Lambo and the "perception" of a great car. Too many auto journalists have written somewhere in their articles , "well its a Ferrari". They make that statement for a reason. Ferrari's have a certain "charm". You do not buy them because they are great cars.

Liked
    1485 times

^^^ I never mentioned Lamborghini, which I consider over the top, "guys with more money than brains" heavy and silly cars. I said Ferrari and Porsche, and I stand by my comments . . . You can get 2 golf bags and two big fat old rich guys in a 458?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2