+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: C63 AMG Buttonwillow Track and Drift In-car video

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Default C63 AMG Buttonwillow Track and Drift In-car video

Check out this In-Car footage of a C63 AMG tracking and drifting around Buttonwillow during the 2009 EuroTuner Magazine/Continental Tire Shootout.

BONE STOCK C63 AMG except:

-ECU Reprogramming/Tuning by ASURA DESIGN +80hp (www.asuradesign.com)
    -X-Pipe and car by GT Pro (www.gtpro.com)
    -245/265 19" Continental ContiSportContact 3 tires (over 1G sustained Cornering G's)

Stock: Suspension, brakes, seats, headers, exhaust (except X-pipe), and full-interior.

Time at Buttonwillow 13CW: 2:03.1

Enjoy:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...and_723200.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sIE3dAGChE

Billy
    Last edited by Stuntman; 12-02-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Liked
    58 times

DUDE!.. how do you turn off the active handling?

I would kill to shut it off on my AMG.

Working
    Liked
    29 times

Damn dude, 2:03! I'm going to go

Liked
    0 times

I still hate Mercedes Benz...

Good time though, kinda surprising considering the tires.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    DUDE!.. how do you turn off the active handling?

I would kill to shut it off on my AMG.
    What AMG do you have? Push and hold the TCS/AYC thing for a few seconds and it'll go off in the C63 and CLK63 AMG Black Series and E63 AMG.

Quote Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
    I still hate Mercedes Benz...

Good time though, kinda surprising considering the tires.
    I would agree with you until the 63's came out. The E55 is no where near as much fun as the E63 or as nimble. The 55 is more of the typical floaty mercedes with a lot of power while the 63 is an M5 contender. The CLK Black is an amazing street/track car from the factory (hell, so is the E63) and if you can get over the weight of the car, it is a FUN track car.

The Continentals generated a steady-state 1.0 to 1.1 G's sustained - from GPS data.

Billy

Liked
    5 times

I used to laugh @ the whole drifting thing until i realized how hard it was to reign my vette back in on cold tires at the track. Now i think of it as more a display of car control than the Tokyo Drift neon light stuff.

I'm also convinced that you could surprise us with low lap times in almost any car. You feel like taking my Daily driver Geo metro for a sub 2:10 lap out there next? It's light! Nice driving.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by ayon View Post
    I used to laugh @ the whole drifting thing until i realized how hard it was to reign my vette back in on cold tires at the track. Now i think of it as more a display of car control than the Tokyo Drift neon light stuff.

I'm also convinced that you could surprise us with low lap times in almost any car. You feel like taking my Daily driver Geo metro for a sub 2:10 lap out there next? It's light! Nice driving.
    Thanks

Drifting is great for car control as long as you don't start hacking at the wheel when you're trying to go fast. Its hard at first to differentiate the two and practicing drifting can/does hurt your roadcourse driving. BUT with enough self control and discipline, it will be beneficial in the long run.

I don't know about that Geo Metro since a bone stock (down to the tires) Mazdaspeed 3 does low 2:09's with almost bald stock tires - A050.

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    What AMG do you have? Push and hold the TCS/AYC thing for a few seconds and it'll go off in the C63 and CLK63 AMG Black Series and E63 AMG.

Billy

Damn.. afraid of that.. i have a floaty 05 E55.. i can get into diagnostics and shut off the traction control, but the AH stays on.. good burnouts... no drift unless you really overpower the computer and eat up brakes.

while im bummed cause it would be an ultimate donut car, problem is that AH feels too touchy to put up some good regular laps.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Damn.. afraid of that.. i have a floaty 05 E55.. i can get into diagnostics and shut off the traction control, but the AH stays on.. good burnouts... no drift unless you really overpower the computer and eat up brakes.

while im bummed cause it would be an ultimate donut car, problem is that AH feels too touchy to put up some good regular laps.
    Yup, I couldnt figure out how to turn it off either in an E55 for the brief time I was playing with that car.

The 63's are a HUGE improvement.

Review from bimmerforums:

While never a big fan of Mercedes (and a BMW enthusiast), i've really come to like the Mercedes lineup since the introduction of the 63. E63, CLK63 Black Series, and now the C63. Having tracked these three cars, Mercedes is making cars that have the quietness and fell of Mercedes without the floaty numbness which plagued the driving experience of them.

Even the E55, while having a ton of torque didn't feel as communicative or responsive (handling or shifting) as the E63. While admittedly I drove an E63 at Mosport with R-compound tires on it (otherwise stock) the car was AMAZING, neutral, responsive shifting, fun to drive, engaging, all while having the luxury of Mercedes. I'm not sure what changes if any they made to the suspension between the 55 and 63, or if it was due to the tires but the RA-1 equipped E63 was a complete riot on track and I felt a great track car.

The CLK63 Black needed better tires than the factory Perellis but this is a track toy that can be comfortably daily driven. The shifting and handling (double adjustable suspension -from the factory, made by KW) were awesome but just not enough rear grip or predictability with those tires. Better tires and more front camber will do the trick. GREAT track car.

The C63 had a tune, so it was ~80hp+ over factory and had the Continental tires -which on data generated a steady-state 1.0 to 1.1G's, otherwise stock. This car was great fun (as the video showed) but the shifting seemed to take longer and was less responsive than the CLK63 or the E63 that I drove. I was rushed driving the C and barely found the traction control button before going out on track so I dont know if I could have made the shifting more responsive like the M3 and M5's gearboxes or not. that was my biggest complaint. Next was the lack of an LSD.

Give the C63 more front camber and an LSD, more responsive shifting (possibly already available but I didnt have time to find it) and I hate to say it but it rivals the M3. Standing burnouts are only an easy left-foot braking away due to the torquey 6.3L V8. While the E90 M3 has less understeer from the factory and has a little better (subjective) feel, the Mercedes is REALLY close and honestly I dont know which one I would take - M3 or C63. I like the torque of the C63 and the driftability (dont get me wrong, the M3 is a driftmobile as well) but the added torque increases the useable RPM range for modulating the fun.

All in all, I think Mercedes is still behind, but getting closer. Although I do really really really like everything about the CLK63 Black Edition -more like an M6 GT3 RS -if you will (blasphamy describing a Mercedes with BMW and Porsche models).

All of this is subjective, take from it what you will, but they are FUN cars.

Billy

Liked
    47 times

Really cool video Billy. It seems those tires are much grippier than people (myself included) had originally thought.

I think you already know how I feel about your driving skills
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Liked
    103 times

yeah billy how would you compared those conti's to some of the leading street class time attack tires? they seem to be much better then their 340 treadware indicates.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    You guys see the slide through Riverside?? lol........
    It looked like Haley's comet in person I'm hoping someone got a picture, it was cover worthy.

Continental...pretty impressive.!

Great job Billy.

-Rob
    Last edited by rob.ok; 12-04-2009 at 07:04 AM.
    Check out my '08 build on s2ki.com here....rob.ok track build.

Liked
    103 times

man theirs something fishy about those contis, a tire looking like this with a 340 tread ware rating generating that kinda data on track on a car with stock suspension really leaves me confused.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    man theirs something fishy about those contis, a tire looking like this with a 340 tread ware rating generating that kinda data on track on a car with stock suspension really leaves me confused.

you must really hate mr srt-4
    Do you understand?

Liked
    103 times

^haha, naw, doug and i are cool, i just dont understand the performance of these tires, i may have to get a set just to test back to back with my current tires

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer_drew View Post
    Really cool video Billy. It seems those tires are much grippier than people (myself included) had originally thought.

I think you already know how I feel about your driving skills
    Yea, I would have had a hard time believing a 4,000lb+ car on those tires could pull a >1.0G sustained. But they did...

yeah billy how would you compared those conti's to some of the leading street class time attack tires? they seem to be much better then their 340 treadware indicates.
    Its hard to compare since the car had stock (~0.5*) front camber and 245/265 width tires and weighed so much that it KILLED the front tires. With small tread blocks and a lot of wide circumferential grooves, the tread blocks just get destroyed compared to the design of an AD08 or StarSpec. I'm sure in a lighter car with proper camber they would last longer but the tread design is similar to a PS2 and the shoulders of the tread blocks just get destroyed = not as good consistency over the life of the tire. I can't conclude that 100% though.

Liked
    103 times

race compound in a street tread design with a 340 treadware rating stamped on...

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

race compound in a street tread design with a 340 treadware rating stamped on...
    Tread wear rating means NOTHING. It is up to the tire manufacturer to determine what number they want to label a certain tire. Yokohama's AD08 is rated in the 100's but wears like a 250+.

DOT-approval also dosn't mean too much either as any tire manufacturer can call a tire dot-approved but the penalty is high if the tire dosn't pass the DOT tests if the tire model is 'called out'.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Tread wear rating means NOTHING. It is up to the tire manufacturer to determine what number they want to label a certain tire. Yokohama's AD08 is rated in the 100's but wears like a 250+.

DOT-approval also dosn't mean too much either as any tire manufacturer can call a tire dot-approved but the penalty is high if the tire dosn't pass the DOT tests if the tire model is 'called out'.
    thats what im saying, treadware numbers seem like made up numbers now a days. Tires being "called out" like you say doesnt seem to happen much, unless im wrong

so my point being is that conti COULD make the compound similar to a race compound and just put whatever rating they want on it. Explains the curiously strong lateral grip

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast