Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By robburgoon
  • 1 Post By Olitho
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob

Thread: C5 Z06 vs C6 LS3 z51 vs C6 LS2 z51 as a track car ? Thanks

Liked
    2533 times

Default C5 Z06 vs C6 LS3 z51 vs C6 LS2 z51 as a track car ? Thanks

Vette experts: what makes a better track car ? C5 z06 or C6 LS3 z51 or C6 LS2 z51. Price is pretty close between the 3. Power is pretty close also.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Vette experts: what makes a better track car ? C5 z06 or C6 LS3 z51 or C6 LS2 z51. Price is pretty close between the 3. Power is pretty close also.
    Years ago on the corvette forum, for people racing in T1, the trends seemed to be as follows:

C5z06 fine, rarely blows up.
    C6 LS2 sometimes blows up
    C6 LS3 loves to blow up, desperately needs a dry sump.

Not sure if there's really much oiling difference between LS2 and LS3, but that was what I heard at the watercooler.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Years ago on the corvette forum, for people racing in T1, the trends seemed to be as follows:

C5z06 fine, rarely blows up.
    C6 LS2 sometimes blows up
    C6 LS3 loves to blow up, desperately needs a dry sump.

Not sure if there's really much oiling difference between LS2 and LS3, but that was what I heard at the watercooler.

That is mostly true.

The LS3 is a torquier engine and has higher overall output 405 crank HP vs. 436 for the LS3. It is noticeably more powerful than the LS6 throughout the powerband. The LS2 I don't have so much experience with, but it is easy to make it a 500 HP engine with the addition of a cam and LS3 heads.

I would recommend a dry sump for especially the LS3 and probably the LS2, too.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2533 times

Wow. Quick Googling shows a minimum of $3k for dry sump, and not even the good one. Some still have issues with long left handed still. Is that why you stop tracking your C6 ?, Rob
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1721 times

The LS6 was best of breed from GM without mods. It worked and did not blow up unless building serious racecars with wings and things. LS6 very limited power building and high cost to do so.

LS2 was like 3 leg dog. It worked but wasn't LS6 nor was it LS3. Advantage to LS2 came when building aftermarket power. Siamese bores ment larger cylindersleeve could be done. Paired to L92 heads = power!

LS3 was the bomb in LS design. You had great stock power and you could really build it in the aftermarket. But it was also "the bomb". Drysump or forget it. Forget the C6Z51 the C6 gransport was the car to have. Steel frame to weld cage, LS3 motor late in production run so best of breed, factory GM drysump. Many claim aftermarket drysumps are better but we all know what happens in reality in the aftermarket. Best thing about LS3 is you can still buy LS3 GM crate motors for plug and play reliability. I have considered such a swap into my C5 but that takes me out of 2 race classes I like to race. So like any choice it all depends on where you decide to race it.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2533 times

thanks guys !!! no wonder smart Oli didn't allow base C6 to race in Spec Corvette !!
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1495 times

Yep, that's a big part of why I stopped tracking the c6. Too pretty too.

Multiple models have no place in a spec class. The z06 and frc shouldn't be in spec corvette either in my opinion.

Liked
    990 times

C5z best bang for the buck. Easier to mod for racing and cheap! LS3 will walk away from an LS6 or LS2, but yeah needs a dry sump. I recommend ARE (drysump.com) as the best solution. I'm currently running an LS2 in my GT2 car after 8 years with an LS6. It's basically the same engine power wise. If I cared enough (which I don't) I would go with the LS3 heads/intake on top to make more power. That combo is called the L76 and was a hybrid motor produced for a few chevy models and it's a legal spec engine for corvettes in GT2. The fastest vettes are running that engine now after they restricted down the LS7's which were killing everything.

+ Reply to Thread