+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard EVO

Thread: AT BRP You Will Notice a Building Dedication and Individual Acknowledgements....

Liked
    2216 times

Default AT BRP You Will Notice a Building Dedication and Individual Acknowledgements....

Here is a link to the full Cal Club Online Newsletter with pictures. The full story is on page 5. Not much racing coverage this issue as the season has not yet restarted.
    sopacnewsjan2012

The Kirby Building
    Buttonwillow Raceway Park

The 3 story tower building located on the main straight at Buttonwillow Raceway Park has been dedicated as a memorial to Robert Kirby. Kirby, a long time friend of Cal Club, who was known by all his racing friends as “MR. KIRBY”, was instrumental in making the dream of Cal Club having its
    own race track a reality thanks to his love of the sport and his financial expertise.

Mr. Kirby who died in April 2005 at the age of 80, was a true gentleman and racer. He was stricken while working at his office in Los Angeles after having been with his friends and fellow racers at the Cal Club Board Meeting in Gardena the night before.

Mr. Kirby spent 40 years at Capital Guardian Trust Company, the company he helped found. He managed billions of dollars in tax exempt retirement and other institutional funds. He also was still lecturing at the Stanford Graduate School of Business one quarter each year and liked using as a case study the financing issues from the failed Ontario Motor Speedway. He also was a trustee of the College Retirement Equity Board and Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, a member of the board of governors of the Pacific Stock Exchange, and a director of Lockheed Corporation.
    Road racing was always a part of his life. He started racing in 1955 and finally decided to retire after the 2004 Sports Car Club of America Runoffs at the Mid-Ohio Raceway, after competing in every SCCA Runoff from 1984 to 2004. Not wanting to be too far from the racing action he contacted Mark Hotchkis, his old race partner John Hotchkis’s son. He asked Mark if he would like to drive the infamous black Porsche in select SCCA regional races. Mark is an experience road racer in his own right following the lead provided by Mr. Kirby and his father.

To digress, John Hotchkis shared many early driving adventures with Mr. Kirby, driving a series of Porsches competing in numerous races including the 12 Hours of Sebring, 24 Hours of Le Mans and the Daytona 24 Hours. Mr. Kirby’s race team finished ninth in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1984 and in that same year he won the SCCA national championship.

Mark was honored to drive for Mr. Kirby, especially knowing his reputation within the SCCA and the history of the black F Production 914-4 Porche. Success was immediate, setting track records and winning (or breaking) along the way. Mr. Kirby seemed very happy in his new role as a team owner. He continued to practice his trademark trackside routine, smoking cigars and reading piles of financial papers while consuming coffee from tiny Styrofoam cups. It was hard to believe that he was 79 years old when he stepped out of his Porsche for the last time during the 2004 Runoffs. It was decided the team with Mark Hotchkis as the driver, should aim for the 2005 Runoffs and see what they could do against the country’s best F Production cars and drivers. Unfortunately with Mr. Kirby’s death there was no clear plan to accomplish that goal.

A decision was reached and with the Kirby Family’s encouragement, the goal of competing at the 2005 Runoffs was going to continue under the guidance of long-time Kirby friend, Warren Dennis, and with technical guidance from SCCA driving champion David Finch.

The 2005 SCCA Runoffs were held September 19th through September 25th for the last time at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. The Kirby team with Mark Hotchkis driving ended a near perfect season with Mark taking the lead very early in the F Production race, setting a track record and winning by 4.4 seconds. We are sure “Mr. Kirby” is very proud of the whole team!

The California Sports Car Club and all who love road racing owe Mr. Kirby a huge debt
    of gratitude and will miss his guidance and presence at the races.

Note: The original article was written for the LA Times and portions were published by motorsports editor Shav Glick in one of his weekly columns in 2005.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

Oli -

I'm sure Mr. Kirby was a great guy. But what this points up, unintentionally, is the general demographic at CalClub. On its website, the general discussion forum gets more obituaries than threads about racing.
    ayon likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2216 times

Well Kirby died in 2005. It is only now that it was decided to do the building dedication to him.

Additionally, you probably remember Renee. She was an icon in pre-grid. Cancer took her two weeks ago at far too young an age. Cancer also took that other racer, I forget his name, at age 37 I think. Yes, Cal Club has many racers in it 2500 member ranks, but that is testament to the rich history of the club. Cal Club also has 15, 16 and 17 year old racers winning SM and other classes. With the size of the club it will average two or three deaths on average each month. Some deaths are iconic members like Renee Angel.

God speed Renee.

Oli

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Are you still on the Board of Governors?

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Are you still on the Board of Governors?

You betcha' Mr. Sheriff!

Please address me as "Your Honorable Governor Thor."

Liked
    1477 times

How about WHTG for short. Or does that just stand for "white guy . . ." I guess it doesn't matter.

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

O great Thor, I pray unto thee: please give me an SCCA class for a GTS3 e36 which doesn't require the addition of 800lbs ballast.

It is nice to honor Mr Kirby in this way - I'm sure his family appreciate it.

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    O great Thor, I pray unto thee: please give me an SCCA class for a GTS3 e36 which doesn't require the addition of 800lbs ballast.
    Just send me a check..., I mean campaign contribution. It will work much better... at least it does in Washington and Sacramento.

+ Reply to Thread