+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By psychoazn
  • 1 Post By Rob

Thread: Bought a car from a TV show, some suspension questions.

Rob
    Liked
    1 times

Default Bought a car from a TV show, some suspension questions.

I recently purchased a car that was built up for a TV show: https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...lver-scion-frs

I've built cars myself before but I have a 13 month old and don't have the time these days. I had my EVO for 10 years and it was time for something new. When this came up for sale it had a couple things I definitely wanted already on it so I jumped.

I'm making a bunch of changes to the car but specifically wanted input form you guys on the suspension components they chose. When i look at the list I don't have positive feelings about a bunch of the brands listed save whiteline.

I'm considering swapping everything for stock stuff and just getting a set of Ohlins. I don't need the car much lower than stock. It will be a lot of work to undo all this stuff, do you think it is worth it or would you just keep this stuff and replace as I find need? I've been targeting 2 or 3 track days a year and mostly use the car for fun weekend drives in the hills. It is not a commuter and comfort isn't important to me.

Right now the car is WAY too stiff for back road driving. I think that's mostly the roll-bars. The car will 3 wheel over the road crown when turning left or right from a side street. It doesn't skip around but I think more compliance would be a good thing.

Do you think a normal mechanic can align the car correctly given the aftermarket suspension bits? I intend to go to a specialty shop but I would like to drive the car around some more before I decide on final alignment and right now it needs going over.

Here is all the suspension stuff they installed.

Megan Front Lower Control Arms
    Megan Racing Adjustable Toe Arms (Rear)
    Racecomp Sway Bar Kit (Front / Rear)
    Velox / FT86SF Adjustable Lower Control Arms (PB)
    Prime Suspension Series Coilover by Fortune Auto
    Tanabe Sustec Strut Tower Bar (Rear)
    SPL Bumpsteer Adjustable Front Tie Rod Ends
    Whiteline Adjustable End Links
    Megan Racing Reinforced Engine Mount Kit
    Megan Transmission mount

Last edited by Rob; 06-15-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Liked
    41 times

I recommend you remove ALL of those parts, except the SPL front tie rod ends. Go back to stock, throw on some quality dampers, and call it a day.

I'd venture I probably have more experience with the platform than the rest of this entire forum combined.

Where are you located?
    bellwilliam and SteveLevin like this.
    pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

Liked
    2280 times

Emilio has played with those cars a little. He might have some good input for you.

Liked
    1555 times

My WAG is that all that stuff is to correct for suspension geometry that is thrown off by lowering the car. Most street cars have SUV ride height and look esthetically unpleasing. People lower without regard to suspension parameters. If you wanted stock why not buy a stock car? Maybe do some research on that platform and if those parts correct for all the suspension geometry (from lowering) and improve the car for your purpose it would be a lot cheaper to keep what is already there. Plus you either have to pay someone to put it back or invest sweat equity. Either way no free lunch!

Rob
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by psychoazn View Post
    I recommend you remove ALL of those parts, except the SPL front tie rod ends. Go back to stock, throw on some quality dampers, and call it a day.

I'd venture I probably have more experience with the platform than the rest of this entire forum combined.

Where are you located?
    I'm in Nashville TN. North of the city.

Rob
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    My WAG is that all that stuff is to correct for suspension geometry that is thrown off by lowering the car. Most street cars have SUV ride height and look esthetically unpleasing. People lower without regard to suspension parameters. If you wanted stock why not buy a stock car? Maybe do some research on that platform and if those parts correct for all the suspension geometry (from lowering) and improve the car for your purpose it would be a lot cheaper to keep what is already there. Plus you either have to pay someone to put it back or invest sweat equity. Either way no free lunch!
    Because it has the supercharger I wanted, Nice brakes, decent wheels and a good clutch and flywheel. The exhaust and suspension stuff i don't like but I paid less of a premium for the car that it would have taken to buy the supercharger kit by itself. I'm happy with the deal, just have to make the car what I want it to be. A weekend swapping suspension around is way easier to handle than the time it would have taken to install the supercharger ,clutch, and brakes.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    143 times

Maybe it's as simple as softer spring rates to make it streetable.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    20 times

I think you could consider get a set of BRZ STI damper+spring from Japanparts.com.
    They are as comfortable as Ohlins(even more) but half price. For sure it's not as fast as Ohlins on track. They are well-tuned OEM suspension with long travel.

My stock STI comes with 6K spring rate in front. Actually it's even more comfortable than some old japanese 3K cars. I remember I drove a 2004 STI with stock suspension(3.3K). It was very harsh.
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 06-16-2017 at 12:19 AM.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

Liked
    114 times

I'm going to approach this from a cost/time analysis. If I had bought this car for the parts installed and knew I wouldn't have time to do extensive work due to kids (HEY-that's me as well!), I'd ask myself a few questions and try to do THE MOST impactful stuff I could first. Things like;

1. Where did the car feel the most unsettled; straight line, or turns?

2. Did I place the dampers in their softest setting?

3. Did I disconnect the anti-roll bars where needed?

4. If it is the dampers, does Fortune Auto re-valve/provide credit towards their higher-end products?

Granted, some of the names mentioned in your suspension summary may be suspect, but consider this;

1. You have a baby. How much time can I devote to swapping in OEM stuff

2. You have a baby. How much money can I siphon out of that bottle; how much do I WANT TO siphon out of that bottle

3. You have a baby. How much you think SHE'S gonna let you get away with siphoning out (OH-kid yourself-they know every move, EVERYTHING)?

Yes, I don't know how much you have set aside for parts/shop labor, but this car's only seeing the track 2-4 times a year! That's not justification for making wide-sweeping changes.

I've heard very good things about Fortune Auto and their exclusive capabilities with Taiwanese, off-the-shelf parts. They're certainly better than Megans, BCs, D2s, etc.

And while the other parts may not have true brand equity behind them, they'll certainly hold up to what you're going. When you've had them on for a year or so, replace them with someone of higher quality, or OEM.

I guess it's all in the end result you're trying to accomplish: Get me on the track, dirty easy, or; I've got to do this with the best names out there, cause, well, I just have to!

Liked
    7 times

seems like most people have addressed the question, so i'll just say "welcome rob!!!" good/intelligent crowd around here.

-Colin
    '01 Porsche 996 911 Turbo - Reliable track toy
    '93 Mazda RX7 R1 single turbo - SOLD

+ Reply to Thread