+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bought a car in CA, live in NJ or AZ, need advice

Liked
    4 times

Default Bought a car in CA, live in NJ or AZ, need advice

I just bought a C5 out in San Diego (I live in NJ). So next week I was already heading out to Phoenix, AZ for bike week, I have a condo out there. My plan was to fly into San Diego, pick up the car, and drive it back to Phoenix where I'd park it at my secure storage unit until the carrier could pick it up and take it back to NJ. I may even register in in AZ since insurance will be a lot cheaper. My question is, what do I do for registration for the drive from San Diego to Phoenix? My insurance Co says they will insure me for the drive no problem, but I don't see how I could get a temp tag since it's a private sale. In CA do they have a way of issuing some kind of temp tag? Or is my only choice to leave the car in CA until the carrier picks it up, and just fly back to Phoenix after I pay for it? Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

Moe

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by moespeeds View Post
    I just bought a C5 out in San Diego (I live in NJ). So next week I was already heading out to Phoenix, AZ for bike week, I have a condo out there. My plan was to fly into San Diego, pick up the car, and drive it back to Phoenix where I'd park it at my secure storage unit until the carrier could pick it up and take it back to NJ. I may even register in in AZ since insurance will be a lot cheaper. My question is, what do I do for registration for the drive from San Diego to Phoenix? My insurance Co says they will insure me for the drive no problem, but I don't see how I could get a temp tag since it's a private sale. In CA do they have a way of issuing some kind of temp tag? Or is my only choice to leave the car in CA until the carrier picks it up, and just fly back to Phoenix after I pay for it? Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

Moe
    The old registration should still be good. You just mail in your paperwork to wrap things up with California and contact NJ for your new plates I'd imagine.

Liked
    4 times

Yeah but then I'm driving from San Diego to Phoenix with the old owners tags?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by moespeeds View Post
    Yeah but then I'm driving from San Diego to Phoenix with the old owners tags?
    I know some states are DMV nazis, but in California this is pretty normal. Tags follow the car.

Liked
    2284 times

fyi, next week is track day weekend (Friday-Sunday) on Chuckawalla. on your way from Sand Diego to Phoenix....
    Corvette Challenge is on Saturday..
    just saying...
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    97 times

OK, the registration portion of your question:

What's a "tag" anyway? In California, the plates stay with the car regardless of owner. You can leave the registration sticker as-is too, until you receive the new ones in the mail a few weeks/months later. When you buy a used car in Cali you have 10 days to mail in that portion of the pinkslip/title with your info on it. If during that time you run into trouble/ticket/accident, it doesn't matter because the old owner already physically signed off on the title (which is in your possession) and released his liability, thus it's fully under your name by that time. As for registering the car in Arizona, if you can do so do it (not sure how it works though like if there's any residency requirements etc. E.g., I know it's hard to buy a gun there unless you can verify primary residence and work etc.) Also, hows sales tax in AZ? I know in NV there's no sales tax on private sales... Look into that to see how you can peform/verify the transaction under AZ law if it makes sense.

As rob said, once you do the above, simply get started on whatever process you need to do to get it registered in your home state. I'd get started on it while it's still in transit so as not to run into any 10 day or other limits they may have. Go on the NJ site to find out, CA is simple enough.

Regarding insurance:

You're the one driving it (plus it's already legally in your name--see above) so of course your insurer will cover it should something happen...

PS everyone is buying Corvettes now... I need one too soon
    Last edited by pucsicsal; 03-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Liked
    1487 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I know some states are DMV nazis, but in California this is pretty normal. Tags follow the car.
    And you can show the cop your brand new bill of sale and copy of your cashiers check. There is nothing you can do because paperwork takes time. You have done your job starting the paperwork and the seller will send in his release of liability statement.

Liked
    1487 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    fyi, next week is track day weekend (Friday-Sunday) on Chuckawalla. on your way from Sand Diego to Phoenix....
    Corvette Challenge is on Saturday..
    just saying...
    Yeah what a great opertunity to drive some socal tracks. Extreme at WSIR 3/24. SCCA at BRP 3/24-25. AlfaClub At BRP 3/31-4/1. speedventures Streets of Willow 3/31

Liked
    2165 times

Yeah! Do Chuckwalla with the new car!!!

Congrats on buying Matts C5 FRC. That was a great deal on a good track car.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

I will be at Chuckwalla next Sat. Mar. 24 in the NSX. Come out to a great new track and get your feet wet in the FRC. And you can meet the real bozos behind the screen names here.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1487 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    And you can meet the real bozos behind the screen names here.
    Hey...I resemble that remark.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Hey...I resemble that remark.
    I have met you in person, you are not fat, and no one would believe your name is Billy-Bob.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    4 times

Would love to stop in for some track time but I'm flying out on the 27th to make the trip coincide with AZ bike week. Besides the car has slicks on it so I'm not sure it's such a great idea to take the 400mi drive back to Scottsdale. Instead I'm just gonna ship it from San Diego to NJ once we do the deal. Thanks for the help guys. If any of you guys ride and make it out to PHX bike week hit me up.

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Extreme at WSIR 3/24.
    i'll be there for that one.

+ Reply to Thread