+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: BMW'S 2014 entry level RWD

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    My sentiment exactly. I would love a 3 series wagon for DD and for business trips, but the maintenance scares the crap out of me. I considered it for my wife, who drives a bit within a 150 mile radius to visit her clients for telecom, but now I am leaning more towards a c320 for her. I hate the lines of the M-B wagons, but she likes them. Eh.
    Is there a C-Class wagon currently available in the US other than the GLK? BTW, the GLK does have the diesel option now here in the States.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    641 times

My sentiment exactly. I would love a 3 series wagon for DD and for business trips, but the maintenance scares the crap out of me. .
    You are genarally right.OTOH my 2006 station wagon has now 176 k miles, with just a few parts replaced.Our friends' family 2003 Altima with 100 k miles has more downtime in the dealer's shop than on the road(they have it since new).It went thru like 25 sensors,4 sets of front shocks and 10 years later they still cant make it track straight.Mercedes is no less scary than the BMW,especially the ones from 2000-2006.

Liked
    744 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Is there a C-Class wagon currently available in the US other than the GLK? BTW, the GLK does have the diesel option now here in the States.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    You are genarally right.OTOH my 2006 station wagon has now 176 k miles, with just a few parts replaced.Our friends' family 2003 Altima with 100 k miles has more downtime in the dealer's shop than on the road(they have it since new).It went thru like 25 sensors,4 sets of front shocks and 10 years later they still cant make it track straight.Mercedes is no less scary than the BMW,especially the ones from 2000-2006.
    I learned the e46 wagons, or any e46, the automatics are problematic. The manuals are rare, though they do appear from time to time. I would also prefer an iT vrs an iX. Any German car has it's share of electrical gremlins. I love estates, especially the German versions. As a designer, my heart flutters for an A4 or Volvo v50, but my brain says they are more trouble than they are worth. My wife likes to remind me of the troubles I had with the e36M3. However, she drove a friend's e320 wagon last month and loved it. She puts together large telecom deals for businesses and drives from Winston Salem to Wilmington and as far south as Charlotte. It has been awkward for her to go to a meeting in her Miata and not be able to take more than one person to lunch. My daily drivers are an '02 RSX that I treat like a pickup truck and my '88 325is. I don't feel comfortable with her in the 325 because she doesn't really take good care of her car. I HATE buying new cars. Hate isn't even a strong enough word for my feelings about that. I have found that she is more prone to taking better care of her vehicles when they are considered 'problematic'. She needs and deserves something classy and comfortable for putting up with me and my idiosyncrasies. Personally, I also love the '10+ WRX wagons, but my wife has too much track experience, not enough fear to make me comfortable with her driving that all over North Carolina.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1477 times

William -

Funny you would say that BMW is the new Fiat. I owned 3 different Fiats in the 1970s. A new 1972 128 Sport L (light fwd coupe) that broke it's timing chain twice in about 30,000 miles. It's an interference engine -- all the valve stems bend when the timing chain breaks. The first time it was fixed on warranty. The second time the car was out of warranty but we made such a big stink that the dealer fixed it again without our having to pay.

The second Fiat was a new 1975 X1/9. Nice handling little mid-engined targa sports car with about 65 hp. Lack of power was always the big problem. Car got hit hard by some old bozos in an ancient pick-up without insurance. I basically told the finance company -- "come pick up your collateral."

Third one was a '72 128 sedan that I bought from a friend when I was a poor college student. I was on the way to a job interview after graduating, when the engine caught fire. I was across the street from a high-end Seafood Restaurant on the Westside at lunchtime. The cooks and busboys came running out with buckets of water and put out the fire. I had the car repaired mechanically and continued to drive it, but the fire scars on the hood remained.

I also owned a 1967 Fiat Dino Spyder (Google it, cross between Fiat and Ferrari), which I bought from a friend in 1981. Spent a lot of money fixing it up. Had a lot of fun with it, and then sold it in 1988 for more than 5 times the purchase price when it was not running with a broken rear axle.

That brings us to BMW. I owned (or leased) 4 new BMWs, beginning with a 1988 528e (underpowered), a 1990 535i (nice car but I wish I got the manual gearbox -- totalled the car in an accident in which I was significantly injured), a 1992 325is -- again, nice car; and a 1995 E36 M3 that was my daily driver for 8 years and 90,000 miles. Wish I kept the M3 as a track day car instead of trading it in. The '95 M3 was not a problem for service. It was still on the original clutch at 90K miles.

If BMWs are the new Fiats, I prefer old BMWs to old or new Fiats, and I have the experience to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I am no fan of BMW. they drive great, but it is becoming Fiat of this generation.
    Due to their so called "free" maintenance program.

One day in 2001, every BMW built prior required 3k miles oil change, annual coolant change, annual brkad fluid change, bi-annual transmission fluid change, bi-annual diff fluid chane, and so forth. Then on one magic day in 2001, BMW factory had a eureka moment and discovered 15k oil, lifetime coolant, transmission and diff fluid. This enabling free maintenance.

My wife leased a BMW for 2 years, 30 miles in 2004. What did she gets in free maintenance ? Exactly ONE oil change. Everything else is lifetime anyway.

Since then. Every BMW is under maintained. Modern version of Fiat or Alfa, great to drive, nightmare after warranty.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 06-21-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1429 times

I learned the e46 wagons, or any e46, the automatics are problematic. The manuals are rare, though they do appear from time to time. I would also prefer an iT vrs an iX. Any German car has it's share of electrical gremlins. I love estates, especially the German versions. As a designer, my heart flutters for an A4 or Volvo v50, but my brain says they are more trouble than they are worth. My wife likes to remind me of the troubles I had with the e36M3. However, she drove a friend's e320 wagon last month and loved it. She puts together large telecom deals for businesses and drives from Winston Salem to Wilmington and as far south as Charlotte. It has been awkward for her to go to a meeting in her Miata and not be able to take more than one person to lunch. My daily drivers are an '02 RSX that I treat like a pickup truck and my '88 325is. I don't feel comfortable with her in the 325 because she doesn't really take good care of her car. I HATE buying new cars. Hate isn't even a strong enough word for my feelings about that. I have found that she is more prone to taking better care of her vehicles when they are considered 'problematic'. She needs and deserves something classy and comfortable for putting up with me and my idiosyncrasies. Personally, I also love the '10+ WRX wagons, but my wife has too much track experience, not enough fear to make me comfortable with her driving that all over North Carolina.
    How often does she do meetings? Does renting make sense?

Liked
    2282 times

The New Fiat BMW I was referring to are the post 2002 (when free maintenance started) out of warranty BMW.
    They all have at most a few oil changes on it (every 15k to 20k miles). After warranty expires, owners don't maintain them either because BMW have the special "lifetime" ATF, diff and coolant that never ever need replacing.

By 100k miles, most BMW have had about 5 oil changes done (ok, may be a free wiper blades they got door free). Just a ticking time bomb.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    744 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    How often does she do meetings? Does renting make sense?
    It is an option, renting, but where she works and our new home near downtown leaves that to be a PITA. I would like a decent hauler/cruiser for our trips to the OBX, Atlanta, or if I need to see clients too. I head a department based in NY, but I work from home in Raleigh. More of our clientele is here in the SE.

She may do 3-6 meetings a week. I travel quarterly to NY.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 06-22-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2