+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: BMW N63 new battery with every oil change !!

Liked
    2282 times

Default BMW N63 new battery with every oil change !!

New Cars and 2015, 2016 Car Reviews, Pictures, and News - Road & Track

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - BMW revised battery replacement

Apparently BMW N63 (and others) now require a new battery every time you do an oil change !

For N63TU, S63, and N55. It is every other oil change !

BMW battery also require registration !!

I love BMW !!
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 05-19-2015 at 11:54 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    188 times

"Confirm the battery was not replaced previously during the last 12 months."
    So, replacement once a year, to be checked at every oil change.

Gotta keep those BMW electronics freshly powered.

Just ask Bawareca!
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I love BMW !!
    I love TAKATA For sending shrapnels in my eye and head to punish me if I crash (or someone else crashes into me).
    Last edited by bawareca; 05-20-2015 at 06:37 AM.
    Johnny_Se7en and Pure EvoIX like this.

Liked
    2241 times

Weird behavior for a high-end V8.

BMW is also quietly dropping the V8's oil-service interval from 15,000 to 10,000 miles*. Not because of oil-life concerns, but to smokescreen the N63's appetite for motor oil. By shortening the time between oil changes (and sneaking an additional quart into the sump), there's less chance customers will get a low-oil-level warning. Insiders at BMW in Germany say the oil consumption happens to customers who don't ever flog their powerful, turbocharged V8s hard enough to fully break them in. Ironic.

Finally, the CCP offers a way to cover up the N63's habit of chewing through batteries: It contains a technical service bulletin to replace them at every oil change. This is where things get confusing. Why not just fix the underlying electrical problem? As it turns out, BMW can't.

As part of its EfficientDynamics push, BMW's cars are loaded with expensive systems to save fuel wherever possible. One of them, the smart-charging system, operates on the premise that you can increase fuel economy slightly by charging the battery only when coasting. Unfortunately, American drivers aren't coasters, we're cruisers, so the system was murdering batteries. BMW's solution was to throw money at the problem, replacing the batteries with Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) units that can cope with deeper and more frequent discharge cycles.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

I hereby volunteer to break in your N63 motor BMW so it won't have any oil-life issues. You may drop off your car at my shop for this free service. No appointment required.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post

BMW is also quietly dropping the V8's oil-service interval from 15,000 to 10,000 miles*. Not because of oil-life concerns, but to smokescreen the N63's appetite for motor oil. By shortening the time between oil changes (and sneaking an additional quart into the sump), there's less chance customers will get a low-oil-level warning. Insiders at BMW in Germany say the oil consumption happens to customers who don't ever flog their powerful, turbocharged V8s hard enough to fully break them in. Ironic.

Finally, the CCP offers a way to cover up the N63's habit of chewing through batteries: It contains a technical service bulletin to replace them at every oil change. This is where things get confusing. Why not just fix the underlying electrical problem? As it turns out, BMW can't.

As part of its EfficientDynamics push, BMW's cars are loaded with expensive systems to save fuel wherever possible. One of them, the smart-charging system, operates on the premise that you can increase fuel economy slightly by charging the battery only when coasting. Unfortunately, American drivers aren't coasters, we're cruisers, so the system was murdering batteries. BMW's solution was to throw money at the problem, replacing the batteries with Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) units that can cope with deeper and more frequent discharge cycles.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2282 times

I think this is the typical crisis spin... you make a piece of crap, you think of something stupid to blame.........

isn't BMW one of early "don't need to break-in new engine" adapter ?
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

So what happens after warranty expires ?

Go in for an oil change, bill will be $700 !!
    Since your typical lube place can't swap battery (due to battery registration into ecu). Only BMW would be able to do oil change (or you need 2 separate trips every 10k miles). Brilliant !
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    545 times

The new BMW maintenance game:

"All your money is belong to us."

Steve
    robburgoon and Pure EvoIX like this.

Liked
    0 times

There is way to replace the batteries on BMWs without ECU registering. Hook up a 12v source (i.e. car battery charger) to the leads then disconnect the battery.

Liked
    854 times

. . . As part of its EfficientDynamics push, BMW's cars are loaded with expensive systems to save fuel wherever possible. One of them, the smart-charging system, operates on the premise that you can increase fuel economy slightly by charging the battery only when coasting. Unfortunately, American drivers aren't coasters, we're cruisers, so the system was murdering batteries. . .
    Hmm . . . Americans' preference for automatic vs. manual transmission could be a factor.

Liked
    2282 times

What's the difference between coast and cruise ?
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    143 times

What's the difference between coast and cruise ?
    No throttle vs part throttle?

Hopefully all these weird systems don't end up in Toyota or Lexus cars with the new Toyota/BMW partnership. I have leased a lot of BMWs. Fortunately I have never had to own one after warranty. Every single car has had at least 1 major break down fixed under warranty that would have cost thousands to fix. they really are great drivers cars. Just not keepers.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    "Confirm the battery was not replaced previously during the last 12 months."
    So, replacement once a year, to be checked at every oil change.

Gotta keep those BMW electronics freshly powered.

Just ask Bawareca!
    There are a few simple facts. BMW decides to change the battery for free under warranty every oil change. As a matter of fact they dont charge you anything for that. Nowhere it says that the battery on every BMW has to be changed every oil change. The precedent is a small percentage of bimmers (i would say less than 20%) driven in a specific way that experience problems with the battery holding charge over extended period of time. Using some common sense and advice has always went a long way and may solve 90% of the problematic cases. Of course this is not the owners fault, neither someone who paid 50-100k is required to have a common sense. Battery registration is something that could be done or could be skipped. The car will not refuse to start or blow in pieces if you just change the used battery with another one. Also if it will be replaced every year it may be a regular battery as well. My X5 eats a set of $900 rear tires in 12000 miles, so $150 a year wouldnt really matter. And there are countless bimmers that are still on the original batteries for 4-5 years.
    I didint say anything good for BMW in this post, but this battery stuff is blown out of proportion, really.
    Last edited by bawareca; 05-20-2015 at 04:00 PM.
    SteveLevin likes this.

Liked
    42 times

Yet another reason why the newest BMW I have an interest in owning is an E39 M5. I have yet to find a manufacturer who was so dedicated to producing cars with such a superb balance of performance and comfort- the E34, E36, E39 and E46 M-cars were just incredible. Everything after that point, and including E46 M3s with 19" wheels, rides like garbage.

That being said, however, I've owned four BMWs ('90 325i, '94 325iS, '96 M3, '98 M3), my wife's owned three (E46 325i, E46 330i, Z4 coupe), and we owned two MINIs. Of these, not one experienced a mechanical failure. One of the MINIs experienced an electronic cam retard issue that was exacerbated by a dealer visit, but that was the extent of the problems we experienced.

Why it seemed like a good idea to depend on BMW owners to coast when US traffic problems continue to get worse and worse is beyond me.
    Blackbird likes this.
    Steve C.
    1992 Nissan 240SX
    Sub-2200lbs, stock with bolt-ons, Blackbird cage
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Bostongrun/Modena 62k miles

Liked
    1477 times

Simple is good. Complicated is bad . . .
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    No throttle vs part throttle?
    I am still confused ? why American drivers cruise and not coast ?
    no, it is not auto vs. manual thing. I promise you BMW of Europe sells more auto N63 than manual N63
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    641 times

I promise you BMW of Europe sells more auto N63 than manual N63
    I am not sure if manual N63 even exists. Same reason as mercedes did say buy to the manual transmissions for a high powered cars- too much torque to handle for a manual and too many thing to go wrong.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Mercedes has offered virtually no manual gearbox cars in the USA for at least 35 years. Yeah, I know there are one or two cheap model exceptions . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    I am not sure if manual N63 even exists. Same reason as mercedes did say buy to the manual transmissions for a high powered cars- too much torque to handle for a manual and too many thing to go wrong.
    It does exist, but perhaps even Euro's aren't buying them in any number.

"The 550i returns 15 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway with the manual transmission. The figures go up to 17 and 25, respectively, with the more efficient automatic unit."

Read more: 2015 BMW 5-Series - Specifications, Pictures, Prices
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1486 times

What track guy wants a 6 series or 7 series BMW anyway? This is a non issue.

What we should be concerned about is piped in engine noise on the M3/4. JUST SAY NO TO FAKE ENGINE NOISE!
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 05-20-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast