• 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By SeanB
  • 1 Post By OJR

Thread: BMW Axes Manual M2

Liked
    864 times

Liked
    1561 times

I am so disappointed in BMW. They lost their way a long time ago making a driver's car or a car that will make it trouble free past the warranty.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    2287 times

The M2 is a well-done car. It's a bit heavy, but still equipped to take on a racetrack. They have a racing series in Europe, so it stands to reason this is an enthusiast car, and enthusiasts like manuals, so I don't get it.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1949 times

Frankly, enthusiasts also loved carbs when fuel injection was new, loved big displacement when Turbos became a thing, loved manual steering when power steering came out and the list is long.
    Part of the natural progression of technology is that things become more efficient.
    Carbs, big blocks and manual steering all have their fair share in stuff that enthusiasts consider "fun", and I'm sure we'll find people that still miss that time when 3 on a tree was peak technology, but the DCT is simply better than the manual that BMW had, so it's okay to get on with the program every now and again..
    Heck I had an E36 and E46 M3s and I think both of them shifted like garbage... A bone stock S2000 shifts lightyears better.

Liked
    1561 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    The M2 is a well-done car. It's a bit heavy, but still equipped to take on a racetrack. They have a racing series in Europe, so it stands to reason this is an enthusiast car, and enthusiasts like manuals, so I don't get it.
    Well not really. BMW blue-balled us. They teased with $85k euro M235iR racecar. They made under 200. 50 made it to the USA. They had automatic gearboxes not DCT! The promise of being able to buy a BMW factory racer was just a tease. Porsche remained the only game in town.

Liked
    222 times

The petrol/MT car of the near future for the driving enthusiast will be vintage, restomods, and/or purpose-built (e.g. similar to todays kit cars - low volume).

It won't be with mass-produced daily drivers. There simply isn't enough of a market to justify the cost/compromise for it to continue.

Oddly enough most of the remaining cars that can be equipped w/ MT presently are in the $20-30K segment. This wont last, especially w/ the FR layout. And it's not just cost. Tighter packaging and integration for newer powertrains means there won't be any place to install a mechanical drivetrain even if one was inclined. Many newer BMW and Audi models simply can no longer fit a traditional drivetrain to offer it as an option (e.g. even if MT was a $$$$$ option it still wouldn't physically fit in many models).

I'm optimistic about our future options as driving enthusiasts. It's different, but it will be okay. Though laws that permit these options for road going cars could change, and we need to be ready to challenge if that should occur.
    robburgoon likes this.

Liked
    245 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Frankly, enthusiasts also loved carbs when fuel injection was new, loved big displacement when Turbos became a thing, loved manual steering when power steering came out and the list is long.
    Part of the natural progression of technology is that things become more efficient.
    Carbs, big blocks and manual steering all have their fair share in stuff that enthusiasts consider "fun", and I'm sure we'll find people that still miss that time when 3 on a tree was peak technology, but the DCT is simply better than the manual that BMW had, so it's okay to get on with the program every now and again..
    Heck I had an E36 and E46 M3s and I think both of them shifted like garbage... A bone stock S2000 shifts lightyears better.
    All good points, but I just hope BMW and other manufacturers haven't forgotten that horsepower and performance stats aren't everything. A fun and engaging car doesn't have to have 400 hp or do 0-60 mph in 4.2 sec. The Miata and Toyobaru 86/BRZ are perfect examples of such an engaging car.

Also, I'm old enough to have spent plenty of time adjusting carbs and setting timing manually. I don't miss that at all. Fuel injection and electronic engine controls are fantastic in that they not only made cars more efficient and reliable, but also made them more stress free. They improved the driving experience. Think Triumph TR-3 vs Mazda Miata. Will DCT transmissions have the same effect? I hope so but I'm not sure it will.

Maybe I should start hoarding 1991 Honda CRX Sis and NA6 Mazda Miatas?

P.S., Get off my lawn, you kids!
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 07-05-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Liked
    222 times

Related...

How This Hero Gave His Porsche 911 GT3 RS The Manual Gearbox It Deserves

$40K swap - maybe that stings less if you're in already $200K on the car.

OJR
    Liked
    102 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    Related...

How This Hero Gave His Porsche 911 GT3 RS The Manual Gearbox It Deserves

$40K swap - maybe that stings less if you're in already $200K on the car.
    Also stings you spent $40k to go slower.
    Blackbird likes this.
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    FacebookInstagram

+ Reply to Thread