858 times

Default Bimmer Bummer

My, my . . .

The M series may dump manual shifters.

We Hear: BMW M Cars Could Lose Manual Transmission

Liked
    1477 times

Sigh . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    660 times

Post of the month(from the MT blog):

"g37twin_turbo
    2 days ago

First, the entire continent of Europe drives manuals. All of them do it, from kids to grandmas. So the danger of manuals going away (at least in European cars) is vastly exaggerated.

Second, why do you have to have a manual in a car like M3? Nothing about the car says manual, the car has a million electronic nannies changing your every command to make sure you don't kill yourself, it has an artificially created engine exhaust sound to make sure you enjoy yourself, it has airbags to make sure you stay alive even if you do something really stupid, it has various suspension and engine modes to make sure you pick the one that suits you, it has abs brakes that make sure you can stop in every condition and various stability control systems to make sure you don't flip the car, I could go on and on as there is a myriad of other systems that check and correct your every move in any modern car. So how can you put in an honest manual transmission in a car like that and not feel like a liar?

Read more: We Hear: BMW M Cars Could Lose Manual Transmission"
    SteveLevin likes this.

Liked
    751 times

^that is a good point.

For the record, the new Miata is available in a manual.
    Red_5 likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    367 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Post of the month(from the MT blog):

"g37twin_turbo
    2 days ago

First, the entire continent of Europe drives manuals. All of them do it, from kids to grandmas. So the danger of manuals going away (at least in European cars) is vastly exaggerated.

Second, why do you have to have a manual in a car like M3? Nothing about the car says manual, the car has a million electronic nannies changing your every command to make sure you don't kill yourself, it has an artificially created engine exhaust sound to make sure you enjoy yourself, it has airbags to make sure you stay alive even if you do something really stupid, it has various suspension and engine modes to make sure you pick the one that suits you, it has abs brakes that make sure you can stop in every condition and various stability control systems to make sure you don't flip the car, I could go on and on as there is a myriad of other systems that check and correct your every move in any modern car. So how can you put in an honest manual transmission in a car like that and not feel like a liar?

Read more: We Hear: BMW M Cars Could Lose Manual Transmission"
    Damn near shed a tear @ that truth.
    Do you understand?

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

"g37twin_turbo
    2 days ago

Despite popular opinion, the same can still be said of America, but was even truer of America 20 short years ago and manuals are still being offered in fewer cars.

It has an artificially created engine exhaust sound to make sure you enjoy yourself,
    This has nothing to do with control input. What is a red herring?

it has airbags to make sure you stay alive even if you do something really stupid,
    It also keeps you alive if someone else on the road does something really stupid. Also, red herring. This premise has nothing to do with control input. Seeing a trend here.

it has various suspension and engine modes to make sure you pick the one that suits you,
    Another red herring. This has nothing to do with control input.

it has abs brakes that make sure you can stop in every condition and various stability control systems to make sure you don't flip the car,
    Granted.

I could go on and on as there is a myriad of other systems that check and correct your every move in any modern car.
    Given the three red herrings above, and with only one valid point out of five, I doubt this boast is true.

So how can you put in an honest manual transmission in a car like that and not feel like a liar?
    The more relevant question: how can you post this without feeling like a liar?"
    JJ1 likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1541 times

Manuals are nice but IMO arguing for manuals is like the argument about how ugly the tail of a C7 vette looks. This is a forum about being "on track." Why would anyone select an options package that would make your car slower? There is no question the various auto-boxes are hear to stay. We are never going back to the hardline dial telephone.
    Schmoe Money likes this.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Why would anyone select an options package that would make your car slower?
    Because it's more fun? Unless you are W2W racing (which I doubt many are doing with brand new M3's) I personally would rather have more fun than go a couple seconds quicker.

Disclaimer: I haven't driven an auto M3 on a track and I'm sure it would still be tons of fun.

ETK
    Liked
    112 times

Maybe everyone should just join vintage racing. Driverless cars will be faster than all of us soon (if they aren't already). Furthermore, things like Spec/Super Miata are getting pretty close to "vintage". When vintage racing started, the cars were only ~20 years old...
    bawareca likes this.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    1541 times

Quote Originally Posted by comradefks View Post
    Because it's more fun? Unless you are W2W racing (which I doubt many are doing with brand new M3's) I personally would rather have more fun than go a couple seconds quicker.

Disclaimer: I haven't driven an auto M3 on a track and I'm sure it would still be tons of fun.
    I am w2w and i say don't knock it until you try it. F1 paddles and dct are a whole new world and is far from your grandpa's slushbox. They take a whole new set of skills to drive fast.
    SteveLevin and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2265 times

Driverless cars may lap a track as quick or quicker than us, but they are decades away from being able to race.

Humans for the win.

Liked
    708 times

I would rather have a manual transmission in my fun street car than in my race car. If someone made a reliable, relatively inexpensive flappy paddle transmission for my Miata race car, I'd be tempted if they were legal in my class.
    bawareca likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    660 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I would rather have a manual transmission in my fun street car than in my race car. If someone made a reliable, relatively inexpensive flappy paddle transmission for my Miata race car, I'd be tempted if they were legal in my class.
    +1

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    is far from your grandpa's slushbox.
    Hey, that's "Mr. Grandpa" to the likes of you! And I don't even have any grandchildren yet . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    660 times

I may actually need one of these robo-transmissions after destroying my ankle last friday . Actually a ski shoe may work for the left pedal, but all the time spent perfecting the left foot braking will be wasted

img_1182.jpg

Liked
    1541 times

Oh Bummer! Hope you heal quick. My racecar is in Michigan. I will be glad to keep the cobwebs out of your BMW. Just let me know.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    558 times

youch!

Liked
    660 times

I may not have titanium parts in my engine, but now definitely have some titanium screws and brackets that will engage the left pedal

Olitho likes this.

Liked
    858 times

Good Lord!

You meant it when you said that you "destroyed" your ankle.

How did this happen?
    robburgoon likes this.

Liked
    1541 times

Wow! That's a lot of hardware. At least the extra ballast is located low in the chassis. Worst case...BMW M3 with DCT is legal in SCCA T2 racing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast