+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Billy Johnson, We need a Daytona race report

  1. #41
    Smack-Talkin' Member J. Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,991
    Liked
    165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    And I bet the reason Billy didn't go faster is because pesky team owner tell him to stick with a target lap time. And not to go any faster, as there were no chance of catching the next ca at the late hour.
    Probably that, combined with, "It's your first time driving one of these and we're throwing you in with no experience, don't stuff it!!"

    Billy hopped into a Nationwide car and went as quick as Jacques Villeneuve (F1 World Champ) and a bunch of other big names after a little bit of seat time. So we know his speed & talent is there.

    Billy, is the DP car the quickest thing you've driven so far?

  2. #42
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,797
    Liked
    542 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Probably that, combined with, "It's your first time driving one of these and we're throwing you in with no experience, don't stuff it!!"

    Billy hopped into a Nationwide car and went as quick as Jacques Villeneuve (F1 World Champ) and a bunch of other big names after a little bit of seat time. So we know his speed & talent is there.

    Billy, is the DP car the quickest thing you've driven so far?
    Thanks buddy. Of course you always get the "dont wreck it speech" before you get in a new car. They had streaming telemetry and told me in my first stint that i was faster than their baseline through the busstop so dont push too hard. I just responded "im not pushing, im having a blast!". I was also told to not hold up Alex Gurney in the Gainsco car which was a few laps up on us. They then said "nvm, youre pulling away from him".

    The restarts with the top 4 cars in class infront of me was a lot of fun but we just didnt have the pace for me to hang on for more than a few laps.

    The car was so much fun with great handling and downforce, playstation-like shifting, and excellent outward visibility which reminded me of an nsx.


    And at ~190-195mph yes it was the fastest racecar ive driven. Well power wise and acceleration the Cup car probably wins, and the fxmd nsx is up there as well.
    Last edited by Stuntman; 02-01-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    ucfbrett likes this.

  3. #43
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    My jealousy continues to grow. Please keep posting Billy so I can live vicariously. Awesome job.

  4. #44
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    My jealousy continues to grow. Please keep posting Billy so I can live vicariously. Awesome job.

    I heard they asked you to drive, but you had to finish up that project you were working on.....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I heard they asked you to drive, but you had to finish up that project you were working on.....
    You mean he had to abandon a project so he could start working on a new one.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  6. #46
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Tough crowd.

  7. #47
    Gearhead gixxer_drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    649
    Liked
    47 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Thanks buddy. Of course you always get the "dont wreck it speech" before you get in a new car. They had streaming telemetry and told me in my first stint that i was faster than their baseline through the busstop so dont push too hard. I just responded "im not pushing, im having a blast!". I was also told to not hold up Alex Gurney in the Gainsco car which was a few laps up on us. They then said "nvm, youre pulling away from him".

    The restarts with the top 4 cars in class infront of me was a lot of fun but we just didnt have the pace for me to hang on for more than a few laps.

    The car was so much fun with great handling and downforce, playstation-like shifting, and excellent outward visibility which reminded me of an nsx.


    And at ~190-195mph yes it was the fastest racecar ive driven. Well power wise and acceleration the Cup car probably wins, and the fxmd nsx is up there as well.
    195 is fast, thats a LOT of aero load!
    Last edited by gixxer_drew; 02-01-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    249
    Liked
    29 times

    Default

    Thanks for sharing the details Billy . Great story on how the DP ride happened.

    It's really fun to hear the stuff like; what they were telling you on the radio and your replies and reaching for the non existent shifter.

    Awesome job

  9. #49
    Member Ryneen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    86
    Liked
    7 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Well, I really didn't do a whole lot this weekend.

    Continental Tire: #61 ROUSH Performance Ford Mustang BOSS 302R


    Within 3 laps I was turning the target laptime for us to maintain position since we were up a few laps from the next position and down a few from the next spot up. I ended up turning a 1:43.0 which was within half a second off of the car's best lap time. -Again, having never driven a DP before.


    Billy

    Very nice Billy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts