+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Billies' GTR Battle

Liked
    10 times

Default The Billies' GTR Battle

http://www.livesockets.com/view_video2.php?id=192

in lap1, Focus Auto Sales R34 GT-R V-Spec coudn't slow down due to its street brake pads (not BillyJ's driving mistake)

in lap2, BillyJ used his god driving skill to solve the braking issue and clock 6.792s faster than lap1

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Having the only set of Endless R34 GTR calipers in the country has its downsides when you have no spare pads and your current pads are a street compound with 3mm left before the backing plates.

Unfortunately I didn't anticipate needing to brake while still on the banking to make the corner due to the increased speeds from taking the banking flat. I fixed that on the second run and broke much earlier, even with doing that we turned a time 1 second faster than the COBB R35 GTR who did a very good job with the build. With a more aggressive pad combination on the R34, it should be ready for what COBB has to throw at it even with full coilovers, reduced weight, and a further developed platform. Waiting for round 2!!!

I would like to thank Jacko and his Focus Auto Sales R34 as well as Live Sockets for the opportunity, it was a very fun event!

Photo Credit: Brad Jarvis/Brooks Institute

Photo credit: www.riceboytv.com
    Last edited by Stuntman; 09-09-2008 at 11:40 PM.

What's Traction Control? 600RR_Rocket's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Maybe I should change my name to Billy to improve my lap times...

Liked
    2165 times

After all I have heard about these GT-Rs I am kind of disappointed in the lap times. The cars barely broke 1:50 on DOT-Rs.

Aren't they supposed to be faster than that?

Are these cars fully stock?

Oli

Liked
    1 times

The R35 had exhaust, coilover sleeves, and Hoosiers.
    The R34 was a bit more extensively modified.

Todd's commentating made me laugh.

Billy, seemed like in the pre-race interview you were choking back the urge to scream out 'GT-R HAVE EBDC-AHHHH! IT BEAT YOU-AHHHH!'
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    After all I have heard about these GT-Rs I am kind of disappointed in the lap times. The cars barely broke 1:50 on DOT-Rs.

Aren't they supposed to be faster than that?

Are these cars fully stock?

Oli
    I'm not sure if they were at full speed on the start of the timed laps or not?

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser View Post
    I'm not sure if they were at full speed on the start of the timed laps or not?
    At a time attack it is a full speed roll across the timer.....

Liked
    165 times

At a time attack it is a full speed roll across the timer.....
    This wasn't really a Time Attack, it was a one-lap battle between two cars. Looks to me like they were carrying a constant speed before the green, and then went full-throttle when the green dropped.

And LOL @ T1....

Liked
    10 times
    Last edited by Jaku; 09-09-2008 at 10:08 PM.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

The second link of COBB's website was pretty accurate. Except for the part that I held way back and got a better run before start finish. I held the 65mph requirement until the start-finish line just as the rules stated. I knew our car was faster than the R35 and hung way back so their wouldn't be a chance for me to catch up and blow my lap, but I waited until start finish holding the 65mph requirement. I respect COBB Tuning, I know the owner, but their press release was a little skewed to better represent the efforts of their project.

The brake problem of the R34 was significant. We had far better tires than the COBB R35, we had more power, not that great of suspension (but the R35 had pretty much stock as well), and despite the braking problem, the rest of the car was able to make up the difference fairly and still turn a 1-second faster laptime.

The video of the COBB R35 doing a rolling start and turning a 1:48 shows the 'full course at speed' lap time potential of the R35. If we had a run, i'm sure the R34 would be sub 1:47. With the braking problems figured out, another second or two off of that could be knocked off.

But it will remain hearsay unless the in-car video of me starting the second run is shown.

Liked
    2165 times

So what kind of power is the R34 putting out?

What does the car weigh?

Oli

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

So what kind of power is the R34 putting out?

What does the car weigh?

Oli
    A hair over 500whp, weight I believe is around 3,600lbs.

On a rolling lap with the Hankook C91s and functioning (still street pads) brakes, the car should do a 1:45-1:46 no problem. With more aggressive track pads and better suspension, even better...

What time does your Cormaro (that's right COR-maro) do around the roval? What's your power/weight?

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    A hair over 500whp, weight I believe is around 3,600lbs.

On a rolling lap with the Hankook C91s and functioning (still street pads) brakes, the car should do a 1:45-1:46 no problem. With more aggressive track pads and better suspension, even better...

What time does your Cormaro (that's right COR-maro) do around the roval? What's your power/weight?
    Actually it is a T1 Corvette, which makes it mostly stock other than the single adjustable Penskes, stiffer mono-leaf springs/sway-bars and DOT-R rubber. The car has to weigh at least 3280lbs at the finish with me in it, but even almost out of gas it has never been under 3340. I suppose if I weighed 140lbs instead of 200 I would have to begin to worry. The advertised crank HP on a C5 Z06 is 405 HP. MY last dyno recorded between 368-371 RWHP.

My last race their in June I did a 1:48.6xx. I need to do a 1:48.3xx to break Scotty Whites T1 record in his Viper. I think I can do that next January in some cooler weather and on new tires. I was running scrubs my last race.

My car has a ton more speed in it. I am still driving well below the limit on the banking. I am still a little uneasy getting her into slip angles on that part of the track.

Oli

+ Reply to Thread