+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Big Willow June 28th and 29th.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I'm in on Sat.... because Oli's gonna be there with a big target on his back

We'll get to see who over heats first

TonyG
    So how fast can you make that 944 scoot around that track.

BTW, my car won't overheat....

Liked
    0 times

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    So how fast can you make that 944 scoot around that track.

BTW, my car won't overheat....
    I'm trying to break a 1:30, but I'm not sure about the cooling system. I over heated last time on the short track due to a bad radiator cap. But the radiator cap notwithstanding, the car's cooling system seems to be marginal.

It's got a huge Ron Davis custom aluminum radiator and a huge Mocal oil cooler, but it's just not really enough on the hot days.

The big track should be better due to the higher speeds though.

After this weekend, the bigger heads and intake go on trying to get another 60+RWHP. I'm, without choice, also considering even further cooling upgrades as well.

TonyG

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Thinking about heading up myself, just to hang out, get some rides, and take some photos. Anybody got an extra seat and is passing through Sherman Oaks?
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    0 times

I'm close, but I have no passenger seat. The space occupied by the passenger seat has tires and tools.

You could sit on the wing and hang on, but I might get a ticket by the local CHP

I'm sure someone passing through, with an actual passenger seat, could pick you up though.

TonyG

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

maybe I could put on some roller skates and hold on to the wing. Thanks for the offer though.
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    34 times

Can someone recommend a place to stay close to the track? Don't feel like driving back to Lancaster. I remember someone mentioned from a previous post about a mom and pop motel. But I can't find it now. I should of copied it to the WSIR thread.

Liked
    34 times

Default Closest motels to the track

Devonshire Inn Motel (661) 256-3454 Reviews 2076 W Rosamond Blvd Rosamond, CA 5.4 miles
    Joshua Motel (661) 256-2348 2561 Sierra Hwy Rosamond, CA 5.8 miles
    Carl's Motel (661) 256-2043 2529 Sierra Hwy Rosamond, CA 5.8 miles
    Gold Rush Inn (661) 256-1015 3377 Sierra Hwy Rosamond, CA 5.9 miles

Liked
    546 times

I've always stayed at the Devonshire...it's not fancy at all but fairly clean. My wife was willing to go back, so that should say a little.

Steve

Liked
    0 times

Anyone know a good place to stay near WSIR?
    -Timothy

Exige S #777

www.T1Autobahn.com

Liked
    34 times

Anyone tried Carl's Motel? They are only $40.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I'm trying to break a 1:30, but I'm not sure about the cooling system. I over heated last time on the short track due to a bad radiator cap. But the radiator cap notwithstanding, the car's cooling system seems to be marginal.

It's got a huge Ron Davis custom aluminum radiator and a huge Mocal oil cooler, but it's just not really enough on the hot days.

The big track should be better due to the higher speeds though.

After this weekend, the bigger heads and intake go on trying to get another 60+RWHP. I'm, without choice, also considering even further cooling upgrades as well.

TonyG
    Make sure your coolant ratio is 75% water and 25% antifreeze. Add water wetter. Look into where your air is going. Is all the air getting forced through the radiator, or can it escape around? After that, maybe cut holes in your hood?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Make sure your coolant ratio is 75% water and 25% antifreeze. Add water wetter. Look into where your air is going. Is all the air getting forced through the radiator, or can it escape around? After that, maybe cut holes in your hood?
    Hey,

I don't run antifreeze. It's not allowed on the track because it's so slippery. I run pure distilled water with Water Wetter.

The radiator is about 98% shrouded & sealed off. But there's a huge Mocal oil cooler in front of the radiator. This is what seems to have pushed the cooling system into the "marginal" range. However, with the 951 turbo engine, making more HP than the LS1 V8, this setup worked fine. Go figure... (Plus, this radiator is a custom larger than stock, aluminum Ron Davis radiator...)

I had a bad radiator cap that reared its ugly head big time the last time out on the track. I think that this might have been starting to be a problem the time out before that. This situation was amplified by the fact that the ambient temps have gone way up in the last few weeks.

I've changed the thermostat, flushed the system numerous times, installed pure distilled water with Water Wetter, and a new radiator cap. I've driven as hard as I can on the street without going to jail on the hottest of hot days and it's stayed right at 185F.

I'm not sure where I stand, but this Sat will tell the story.

If I still have a problem, I'll yank out this radiator and have an even larger radiator fabricated. Further... I'm already contemplating a 2nd aux radiator if necessary.

Anyway, I need to get this sorted out because I have a nice new set of cylinder heads and aftermarket intake I'm dying to slap on (read 50+ HP). And I'm sure that this won't help the cooling situation

TonyG

Liked
    1429 times

Hopefully you can get it worked out. I'll bet the cap change makes a huge difference.

sd7
    Liked
    0 times

I'll be there Saturday with the Caterham. Makes me a little nervous at these high speed tracks with a 1250 lb car that has 70 lbs of lift at 100 mph! I'll just take it easy and try to stay out of everyone's way.

Justin

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by sd7 View Post
    I'll be there Saturday with the Caterham. Makes me a little nervous at these high speed tracks with a 1250 lb car that has 70 lbs of lift at 100 mph! I'll just take it easy and try to stay out of everyone's way.

Justin
    Don't worry Justin, I'll be sure to punt you.

Hopefully I can score another ride in that thing now that its fixed!

sd7
    Liked
    0 times

Rob,

Just punt me in the right direction. I've got a strut in the passengers seat, but you're always welcome to take it out on the track!

Justin

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by sd7 View Post
    Rob,

Just punt me in the right direction. I've got a strut in the passengers seat, but you're always welcome to take it out on the track!

Justin
    I appreciate the offer, but the cruise around the paddock last time was plenty. Maybe somewhere slower like streets of willow.

Liked
    1429 times

I ended up driving Justin's Caterham after all. Wow what a rush! That thing is a real thrill to drive.

Thanks Justin! If you need a hand working on it sometime, let me know!

Liked
    1429 times
    Last edited by zjchaser; 06-29-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Nice job avoiding the horse food!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast