+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Big Willow Counter-Clockwise?

  1. #1
    AROSC Comp. Director Slaysman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    302
    Liked
    231 times

    Default Big Willow Counter-Clockwise?

    I got an email from Willow Springs today, which I will paste in below. Apparently there is something going on about running the big track in the CCW direction? I met a guy who ran it that way at apparently the only event it was ever run that way, and he claims to hold the track record for that direction.

    Seems like if it was reasonable to run the track that way, it would be happening already. However, turn 9 would be easier, but 5 could be real ugly. Turn 2 would be interesting because you are running downhill all the way.

    Before I put in a vote, I would certainly want to do some easy laps around the course in that direction.

    From Willow:

    "Hello

    We want to allow certain automobile racing organizations to have the option of going counter clockwise on the 2.5 Mile Road Course and in order for this to happen I need letters from reputable organizations that might be interested. They want to the letters to state if they feel it is safe or not and if they feel it would work they want to know why they feel that way. We are going to also hire an engineer to scout the track and give us a list of places that work may need to be done on to make it safer."
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

  2. #2
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,766
    Liked
    2588 times

    Default

    Could be fun actually
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

    Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

  3. #3
    Senior Member CharleyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    411
    Liked
    242 times

    Default

    I'd like to give it a try!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northridge, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    35
    Liked
    9 times

    Default

    I will give it a try!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Gian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ventura
    Posts
    1,239
    Liked
    481 times

    Default

    5 is not as bad as you think. 3 is like the cork screw at Laguna. You have to just know it's there. But you don't know for sure till your there.
    NASA did it at the last event. with the understanding NOBODY better crash!
    Jon Van Caneghem ran fastest @ 1.25.4
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

  6. #6
    fe4
    fe4 is offline
    Senior Member fe4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    136
    Liked
    58 times

    Default

    Seems like it could be Streets CCW - way easier and less risky than Streets CW.

    Curious what the old Turn 1 runoff looks like. Seems like there is a nice green wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLD0o9uQEcE

  7. #7
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,008
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    NASA had a session go the other way at WSIR the last time they were there. No video other than proof taken from the pits of cars going left to right. I had already gone home.

  8. #8
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,008
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    I got an email from Willow Springs today, which I will paste in below. Apparently there is something going on about running the big track in the CCW direction? I met a guy who ran it that way at apparently the only event it was ever run that way, and he claims to hold the track record for that direction.

    Seems like if it was reasonable to run the track that way, it would be happening already. However, turn 9 would be easier, but 5 could be real ugly. Turn 2 would be interesting because you are running downhill all the way.

    Before I put in a vote, I would certainly want to do some easy laps around the course in that direction.

    From Willow:

    "Hello

    We want to allow certain automobile racing organizations to have the option of going counter clockwise on the 2.5 Mile Road Course and in order for this to happen I need letters from reputable organizations that might be interested. They want to the letters to state if they feel it is safe or not and if they feel it would work they want to know why they feel that way. We are going to also hire an engineer to scout the track and give us a list of places that work may need to be done on to make it safer."
    Maybe ask them if they would be nice enough to host a (gratis) test day for the various orgs to send 2-3 people to reconnoiter the track. Would be a good meeting at 3pm or so with a bunch of trackday reps all there at the same time.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    Sounds good
    Check out ----> Servicing Stop <----

  10. #10
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,639
    Liked
    2356 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post

    From Willow:

    "Hello

    We want to allow certain automobile racing organizations to have the option of going counter clockwise on the 2.5 Mile Road Course and in order for this to happen I need letters from reputable organizations that might be interested. They want to the letters to state if they feel it is safe or not and if they feel it would work they want to know why they feel that way. We are going to also hire an engineer to scout the track and give us a list of places that work may need to be done on to make it safer."
    I take it the "they" mentioned in this email are insurance companies?

    Going counterclockwise on WSIR would be great fun and it would be good to have the choice to run in different directions. Part of me thinks it might actually be safer. The speeds going from Turn 6 to 5 would be interesting, given the blind rise, but certainly manageable.

  11. #11
    Speed Ventures agershon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    439
    Liked
    115 times

    Default

    I can make myself available to test the track. Call me

  12. #12
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,334
    Liked
    764 times

    Default

    I wonder what the engineer will say about the huge cracks in turn 8?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  13. #13
    Senior Member 48yota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    364
    Liked
    121 times

    Default

    Terry, as Rob stated above, I would make a recommendation to invite the clubs for a gratis day and let the clubs choose some people to come for the directional test. Bring all skill levels and car builds to give honest opinion.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Gian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ventura
    Posts
    1,239
    Liked
    481 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I wonder what the engineer will say about the huge cracks in turn 8?
    Depends on what time of day it is they look at it as to how big they are.
    Red_5 and ucfbrett like this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    328
    Liked
    223 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ... I take it the "they" mentioned in this email are insurance companies? ...
    Sure sounds like it.


    My two cents - It's an odd that the insurance underwriter wants statements from track organizers (usually that's proof of customer demand). Safety is a question for an engineer to evaluate. Fortunately WSIR is going to do just that.

    There are certainly areas that need to be improved for CCW. Safety barriers and potentially grading. The potential bigger expense is additional curbing. This should be addressed IMHO. And there's probably some need-to-haves and nice-to-haves in that mix that don't need to be done at ounce. i.e. I don't want to see it killed for financial reasons.

    I agree + think a CCW configuration will increase the marketability of the track, particularly for racing organizations.

  16. #16
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,899
    Liked
    2528 times

    Default

    I would think exiting T8 would be tricky, pretty narrow runoff.......before you run into paddock at Street (chainlink fence separating both tracks).

    T6 would be most dangerous part of the track.......high hp car will be hitting 160mph, with a crest ? that would be scary.....

    exiting T2 is gonna be tricky, downhill, you spin into kids on kart track....
    bawareca likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    328
    Liked
    223 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    ...exiting T2 is gonna be tricky, downhill, you spin into kids on kart track....
    Not just the kids at risk on kart track. I get it though. Loss of a young future Ayrton Senna is a tragedy. Loss of a middle aged adult is certainly an act of mercy.

    On the plus side we might get some new ditches and launching ramps out of CCW improvements. Yeehaw!

  18. #18
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,008
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    Sure sounds like it.


    My two cents - It's an odd that the insurance underwriter wants statements from track organizers (usually that's proof of customer demand). Safety is a question for an engineer to evaluate. Fortunately WSIR is going to do just that.

    There are certainly areas that need to be improved for CCW. Safety barriers and potentially grading. The potential bigger expense is additional curbing. This should be addressed IMHO. And there's probably some need-to-haves and nice-to-haves in that mix that don't need to be done at ounce. i.e. I don't want to see it killed for financial reasons.

    I agree + think a CCW configuration will increase the marketability of the track, particularly for racing organizations.
    Are they broke? Perhaps they are anticipating taking out a loan for improvements and want the letters in case they need to impress a loan officer?

  19. #19
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,087
    Liked
    1720 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    From Willow:

    "Hello

    We want to allow certain automobile racing organizations to have the option of going counter clockwise on the 2.5 Mile Road Course and in order for this to happen I need letters from reputable organizations that might be interested. They want to the letters to state if they feel it is safe or not and if they feel it would work they want to know why they feel that way. We are going to also hire an engineer to scout the track and give us a list of places that work may need to be done on to make it safer."

    Remember when Oli started the petition to fix WSIR with just some grading on T9? I think the response from WSIR was CRICKETS! When the track is so poorly maintained going CW what makes anyone think WSIR is capable of improving safety going CCW? Oh I take it back. It is not poorly maintained it is a "historic landmark"
    Olitho, bellwilliam and bawareca like this.

  20. #20
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,334
    Liked
    764 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Are they broke? Perhaps they are anticipating taking out a loan for improvements and want the letters in case they need to impress a loan officer?
    Maybe they are contemplating a re-pave and are wondering about adding curbing and safety features for both directions. That would be nice.
    slodrew likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts