+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By CharleyH

Thread: Best way to document a bucket list track day?

Liked
    0 times

Default Best way to document a bucket list track day?

I will be doing a track day event at Daytona International Speedway on October 31 of this year. I will be driving my lightly modded '95 Mustang GT on the full road course. I've done a few track days at smaller local tracks and I have an older GoPro camera with a suction cup mount that I will use from a few different locations. I would like to have something from inside the car that could give me some better sound. The GoPro gives great video but the sound is mostly wind noise and rattles. I'm thinking of buying a small digital camera but not sure how to mount it in the car. I don't have roll bars in the car so that's not an option. If anyone has any ideas on capturing the experience I'd love to hear them.

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

hire a photographer

Liked
    2243 times

If it's available at the track, there are services that will wire your car up with multiple video cameras and data. Check with the organizer to see if that's available. That would be the easiest way, and maybe even the cheapest.

Robinson Motor Sports, Inc

SPEC RACER
    FORMULA ENTERPRISES VAN DIEMEN
    WINNING RENTAL CARS AVAILABLE
    SCCA ENTERPRISES AUTHORIZED CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE SINCE 1993
    WE ATTEND 35 RACE WEEKENDS A YEAR
    REGIONAL AND NATIONAL RACES AND PRO SERIES
    DRIVER SCHOOLS
    TRACKSIDE SERVICES FOR YOUR CAR
    TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
    REPAIRS AND PAINT SERVICES
    EXPERT TRANSMISSION REBUILDS
    FULL CAR SET UP
    DRIVER COACHING
    VIDEO AND DATA SERVICES
    COMPLETE INVENTORY OF PARTS FOR BOTH TYPES OF CARS
    ONLINE PARTS STORE
    RACE YOUR CAR OR OURS AT ANY SCCA RACE, TRACK DAYS OR CAR CLUB EVENTS
    CORPORATE OUTTINGS
    TWO TIME FE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    MULTIPE SARRC CHAMPIONS
    MULTIPLE TRACK RECORDS
    TOO MANY RACE WINS TO COUNT
    CONTACT MICK ROBINSON
    321 674 5003
    ROBINSONMS@CFL.RR.COM
    ROBINSONMOTORSPORTS.COM

Liked
    2282 times

why not run a microphone into your gopro. you can install mic anywhere, next to intake or exhaust.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    136 times

Daytona is such an amazing experience it is worth documenting. My recomendation is to use an external microphone that can be in an area near the exhaust that is not in the wind. If your GoPro doesnt have the ability to plug in an external microphone, it is time to update your camera. Also, buy or rent a data system that can be overlaid on the video. It will be worth the investment. Also they have a great Photographer there for on track pictures. Have a great time.

Charley

Last edited by CharleyH; 10-01-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Liked
    1477 times

Daytona is a ROVAL, like Auto Club Speedway, right?. ACS kinda sucks. What makes Daytona so great?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    136 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Daytona is a ROVAL, like Auto Club Speedway, right?. ACS kinda sucks. What makes Daytona so great?
    They are similar but very different. AutoClub Speedway is a 2.8 mile D shape oval with 14 degree banks. The Roval configuration only uses the front straight and NASCAR turns 1 and 2. (As everyone here knows)

Daytona is a 3.56 mile tri oval with 31 degree banking. The Roval configuration uses about 95% of the NASCAR track and the infield ( this includes all of the NASCAR turns). The speeds at Daytona are higher and more sustained. The feel of driving on 31 degree banking is exhilarating.... You feel like you are driving on a wall. The feel of being at Daytona is amazing also.... It is huge, in both size and history. I highly recommend giving it a try.

I just hope Daytona remains open to the public. There are people out there in stock Z06's doing over 170mph on the banking with no safety equipment other than a helmet. Seems crazy to me.

By the way I like ACS.... So you have to factor that in also...

I haven't found a track yet that I didn't like.... I just like some more than others.
    Last edited by CharleyH; 10-01-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Olitho, ucfbrett and 5:04 like this.

+ Reply to Thread