+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Best new harness available today and window net, too

Liked
    2344 times

Default Best new harness available today and window net, too

It is time for me to replace the harnesses I have been racing with the last few years. I have been using Schroth's Enduro harness and I'm happy with it. It is easy to adjust. It is comfortable. It seems to have held up well, too. It still feels and looks brand new despite hours and hours of use. They are expensive at $579.
    https://store.windingroad.com/schrot...FYmKfgodT-kPPw

I am not sure if other new cool belts with new technology and features have been developed.

What other belts do you recommend and why? Have you used them?

My window net needs replacing as well. Not as critical, but I thought I would throw that in. I have always used the traditional ribbon style nets. I have always like the look of the fine mesh nets, but I have never used one before.

THANKS!
    Last edited by Olitho; 01-15-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    It is time for me to replace the harnesses I have been racing with the last few years. I have been using Schroth's Enduro harness and I'm happy with it. It is easy to adjust. It is comfortable. It seems to have held up well, too. It still feels and looks brand new despite hours and hours of use. They are expensive at $579.

I am not sure if other new cool belts with new technology and features have been developed.

My window net needs replacing as well. Not as critical, but I thought I would throw that in. I have always used the traditional mesh style nets. I have always like the look of the fine mesh nets, but I have never used one before.

THANKS!
    What you're using now is called a "ribbon" net. Mesh is the fine stuff.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    What you're using now is called a "ribbon" net. Mesh is the fine stuff.
    Correct, thanks....

Liked
    17 times

At PRI a few weeks ago, I learned that Schroth is in the process of switching all of their Hans harnesses over to a full 2" shoulder belt instead of the old design that transitions from 2" to 3". I played with a set that was on display and really liked them. They're even smoother and easier to adjust than the old 3" design, which was already really good. I think the guy told me that the Profis are already available but it would be a few weeks or months before the Enduros were available with the full 2" shoulder.

I had to buy a set of belts last year and went through the process of searching for the latest and greatest. Ended up with Schroth Enduros. There are a few others that are almost as good, but I think the Enduro is the best belt you can buy for the money. Maybe period.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by jpreston View Post
    At PRI a few weeks ago, I learned that Schroth is in the process of switching all of their Hans harnesses over to a full 2" shoulder belt instead of the old design that transitions from 2" to 3". I played with a set that was on display and really liked them. They're even smoother and easier to adjust than the old 3" design, which was already really good. I think the guy told me that the Profis are already available but it would be a few weeks or months before the Enduros were available with the full 2" shoulder.

I had to buy a set of belts last year and went through the process of searching for the latest and greatest. Ended up with Schroth Enduros. There are a few others that are almost as good, but I think the Enduro is the best belt you can buy for the money. Maybe period.

Great info. Thanks!

Maybe one of our site sponsors like Winding Road can update me on the availability of the new Schroth Enduro?

Liked
    553 times

Are they too old to have recertified?
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    I can probably do that. I have never done it before and I don't know what is involved.

Liked
    2533 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    Didn't know you can do that with Schroth
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    158 times

I can probably do that. I have never done it before and I don't know what is involved.
    For my crow belts you send them back the belt, they inspect the hard parts, replace as necessary, re-web and send back. Re-certification on my $200 crow belts is $60. If you like the belts, just re-certify.

If you are dead-set on buying new belts, I'm happy to take your old schroth enduros off your hands for what you think they are worth and re-cert them for myself

EDIT:
    It might not be possible to re-web schroth belts

nasaforums.com • View topic - Can a harness be re-certified? Where? (Sparco/Schroth)
    Last edited by anorexicpoodle; 01-15-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    If you are dead-set on buying new belts, I'm happy to take your old schroth enduros off your hands for what you think they are worth and re-cert them for myself

I am open to that deal, but perusing the Schroth site does not reveal that as an option.

Liked
    158 times

I am open to that deal, but perusing the Schroth site does not reveal that as an option.
    I sent schroth an email inquiring if re-cert is possible. We shall see....

Liked
    1721 times

HMS is the scroth importer. I'm 99% sure there is no recert program. They want to sell new harnesses! Crow is a small player and smartly niche marketing imo.

I don't know if it has changed but dr. Melvin of hans fame claimed improved function with hybrid 2 double shoulder belt hans. Weber was part of the development while in F1. Im on my 3rd set of those belts. They are a super slow pita to put on but super comfortable. The enduro belt is designed the way it is for a reason quick driver change and convenience. I have never seen any other car running double shoulders.
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 01-16-2017 at 03:42 AM.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    66 times

FYI- I have the Schroth Enduro belt. I like it, but I have found a better option out there now. It's Brand new. Pro 6-point GT HANS Lightweight Harness : Racetech USA The thing I do not like on the Enduro belt is that it requires two hands to get the shoulder belts tight like I prefer (Troubling when out there during a race). The lap belts are great on the Enduro. The new Racetech Pro GT harness addressed these concerns with the shoulder belts. It is the best of both worlds, easy lap belt adjustment (adjuster near buckle) and easy one hand "yank" shoulder adjustments like other (non Enduro) Schroth belts.

Schroth does not reweb or recertify.
    Last edited by Plavan; 01-16-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    Olitho likes this.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
    I like it, but I have found a better option out there now. It's Brand new. Pro 6-point GT HANS Lightweight Harness : Racetech USA The thing I do not like on the Enduro belt is that it requires two hands to get the shoulder belts tight like I prefer. The lap belts are great on the Enduro. The new Racetech Pro GT harness addressed these concerns with the shoulder belts. It is the best of both worlds, easy lap belt adjustment (adjuster near buckle) and easy one hand "yank" shoulder adjustments like other (non Enduro) Schroth belts.
    Thanks for a great option. I must say those adjusters look to be exactly like the ones on the Schroth Enduro, although the pictures are not clear enough.

Liked
    66 times

My buddy bought the New Racetech- I saw them in person last weekend. The latch mechanism is smaller than the enduro, but the adjusters looked the same near buckle as the Enduro. Don't get me wrong, the Enduro is a great belt- so easy to adjust. I just do not care for the "two hand adjustment" for getting them really tight while racing.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    158 times

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    I sent schroth an email inquiring if re-cert is possible. We shall see....
    Confirmed from HMS Motorsport.

Hi Ryan

Unfortunately we do not offer any re-webbing or recertification on any Schroth harnesses.

Once out of date, they would need to be replaced

Brady Baxter

Liked
    2364 times

I have Schroths in my car, and I really like them, but I used a set of Safecrafts in an MX-5 Cup car and I really liked them, too. The buckles seemed to slide easier yet maintain hold longer, like I didn't need to cinch them up as often as other belts I've used. In fact, I think I liked them better, or at least enough to consider them for my my next set, which isn't too far off.

If you can find a car with Safecrafts, try them out.

For a window net, I prefer the mesh to the ribbon for visibility purposes. I've never had a ribbon net, but I never wanted one because the driver's head is close to that net and those ribbons are, what, between one-half and one inch thick? That seemed like it would hamper outward visibility or create a distraction, especially if it's a color other than black.

And as we all know from studying theory, distraction disrupts the dominant cognitive response. That's not what you want while racing.

Liked
    17 times

My cage builder includes this net with most/all of his cages. I'd never seen it before he showed it to me. I really like it since you don't need any bars or other hardware on the bottom side... just wrap it around the door bar and you're done. IOport also sells a similar net but it's a combination design with wide straps AND fine mesh. I had the IOport net on my previous car and I like this Safequip better.

Safequip Mazda Miata 15" x 18" Adjustable Window Net - Black (SFI Certified)
    Olitho and robburgoon like this.

Liked
    2364 times

^^ That's the one I have. I dig it, too.

Liked
    34 times

My window net needs replacing as well. Not as critical, but I thought I would throw that in. I have always used the traditional ribbon style nets. I have always like the look of the fine mesh nets, but I have never used one before.

THANKS!
    We have sampled a lot of belts, and have yet to find one we like better than the Schroth Profi II Hans: https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/schroth-profi-ii

Window net, just find something that works with the mounts you have so you don't have to refabricate everything.
    Olitho likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast