+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best motoring fan? -Gansan driving Ford GT at WSIR

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Default Best motoring fan? -Gansan driving Ford GT at WSIR

So who here is a Best Motoring fan? Since almost all of us have never driven on the tracks in Japan that BM uses, here's one of their best drivers who came over to the states to drive a Ford GT at WSIR and SOW (CW without Blowpass -from what I can tell).

YouTube - Ford GT Driven on Big Willow - Best Motoring International

Cliff Notes:

Ford GT
    ~3,000lbs
    ~500hp
    235/315 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar

WSIR: 1:37.0
    SOW: 1:31.57

I'm pretty confident I will beat that time in my personal full interior NSX (KW V3s, Headers, 235/275 Street tires, stock seats, and full touch-screen nav and subwoofer). I should be at WSIR two weeks from Friday so we will see. I also know half of you have beat that time in your own S2000 or Miatas and after the THQ vs. Mag "pros" -i'm very confident you all would beat that time in that car as well.

A 1:31.57 at SOW is also very slow, as you all know, even though the without blow-by config being 0.5-1 second slower.

I'm sure he wasn't familiar with the track and i'm not sure how much time he had on either track but I think he was way conservative and slow in the car which makes the laptimes irrelevant. Makes you think about the true relevance of the BM videos when comparing cars with various driving talent between the drivers, as i'm sure most of you already know.

On both tracks he downshifted when he should have left it in a higher gear and overslowed a lot of corners, as well as driving under the car/tire's limit. I also didn't agree with too much he said in regards to feedback on the GT, but that's subjective as well.

Your thoughts?

FIA WTCC/Formula D Driver MiataCharles_Hong_Kong's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Yeah I saw that a while ago and was a bit surprised. He drove like a different beast at Nurburgring in the stock AP1 S2000(top down with no helmet I believe), and not to mention all other Japanese tracks! I'd say he was probably still suffering from jet lag? or just getting old? haha. He was defintiely leaving much time on the table.

However, he's still my inspiration

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong View Post
    Yeah I saw that a while ago and was a bit surprised. He drove like a different beast at Nurburgring in the stock AP1 S2000(top down with no helmet I believe), and not to mention all other Japanese tracks! I'd say he was probably still suffering from jet lag? or just getting old?
    Must have been. He walked off the plane in his driving suit!!!

Liked
    111 times

I'm thinking his lap times and opinions with the Ford GT may be from the fact that he has little experience with American cars. IIRC, I've only seen him drive Japanese and European cars in anger on the car's respective homelands, and I've seen a lot of Best Motoring videos. I could be wrong.
    Driving to the limit is my goal.
    Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
    2013 NASA TTD National Champion
    NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
    Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by VagaXt View Post
    I'm thinking his lap times and opinions with the Ford GT may be from the fact that he has little experience with American cars. IIRC, I've only seen him drive Japanese and European cars in anger on the car's respective homelands, and I've seen a lot of Best Motoring videos. I could be wrong.
    Shouldn't matter, especially the European car/European track comment. I might agree with you in regards to driving a given car on a track that he is very comfortable with and has a lot of seat time on. Shouldn't have anything to do with the fact a car is American or not.

Liked
    27 times

Billy, you coached me to a 1:34 at big Willow after I did a 1:35 on my own. The car has a 1:30 or less in it. I'm sure a Ford GT has more in it than a 1:37. JMHO.
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by DocNrock View Post
    Billy, you coached me to a 1:34 at big Willow after I did a 1:35 on my own. The car has a 1:30 or less in it. I'm sure a Ford GT has more in it than a 1:37. JMHO.
    I never drove your car at WSIR did I? You should bring it out November 12th (Friday)!

Liked
    1477 times

I consider WSIR my "home track." I think it is different from almost all other road courses that most professional drivers are accostomed to. I also think it is much more complex and difficult to master than most other drivers think. I never get tired of driving it over and over and over.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    15 times

Billy, I might try to make it out on the 12th for some more testing as well

Those times in the GT really dont seem impressive at all in that car.....would have expected a bit more........

also, in regard to that video, I highly recommend the book "Go Like Hell" Its all about the ferrari and Ford battles at lemans, great read!

.........this whole thing sounds familiar..... didn't we just get done with a challenge that started from smack talking lap times?
    Last edited by zjchaser; 10-20-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I never drove your car at WSIR did I? You should bring it out November 12th (Friday)!
    No, to my chagrin you did not. Unfortunately, I will not be able to be at WSIR on that date.

I do have a fast friend, however, who has a GT-R with similar mods and power to mine. He just did a 1:30.xxx at big Willow on corded fronts. He usually does 1:49's at Cal.
    Last edited by DocNrock; 10-20-2010 at 08:06 PM.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I consider WSIR my "home track." I think it is different from almost all other road courses that most professional drivers are accostomed to. I also think it is much more complex and difficult to master than most other drivers think. I never get tired of driving it over and over and over.
    I agree, but they have Fuji -which from what I hear has similar types of corners. Regardless, that's no excuse for the SOW lap time.

Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser View Post
    Billy, I might try to make it out on the 12th for some more testing as well

Those times in the GT really dont seem impressive at all in that car.....would have expected a bit more........

also, in regard to that video, I highly recommend the book "Go Like Hell" Its all about the ferrari and Ford battles at lemans, great read!

.........this whole thing sounds familiar..... didn't we just get done with a challenge that started from smack talking lap times?
    I would blow off a lot of things for a THQ vs. Best Motoring challenge.

Liked
    111 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I would blow off a lot of things for a THQ vs. Best Motoring challenge.
    You and I both.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by VagaXt View Post
    Just 55 hours ago. Didn't most trackhq'ers just drove an Evo that they've never driven on a track they had only few laps ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    111 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Just 55 hours ago. Didn't most trackhq'ers just drove an Evo that they've never driven on a track they had only few laps ?
    Haha! Touche... Maybe Gansan is getting old.

Liked
    23 times

We can make it more interesting and make it a Best Motoring "my car challenge." I think they will take the bite.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKIuQKEye_8[/YOUTUBE]
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked
    15 times

hahahaha I am totally down for my car challenge!!

Guys, we need to start planning our ultimate project to take down THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!

trackHQ vs:
    -Best Motoring
    -Top Gear
    -Car And Driver
    -Option
    ... just to start with
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Liked
    0 times

Brent, I predict you will kick my butt and get down to 1:30.xxx next time!

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by TrackZ View Post
    Brent, I predict you will kick my butt and get down to 1:30.xxx next time!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Paul, but we'll see. I definitely need more seat time there.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by DocNrock View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Paul, but we'll see. I definitely need more seat time there.
    It's a long way from 1:34 to 1:30 at WSIR. I would be happy with a 1 second improvement from one event to the next. 4 seconds is an eternity.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    It's a long way from 1:34 to 1:30 at WSIR. I would be happy with a 1 second improvement from one event to the next. 4 seconds is an eternity.
    No question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast